Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

tranny is dead..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Blurr350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny is dead..

well.. car went in the shop to get the alignment fixed (recall on '04s). I also added some other things for them to check out. Door panels were a little loose, tighten e-brake, etc. I also told them that there has been a little bit of grinding lately when shifting into 6th. Didnt always happen, but happened enough to concern me. One night, while racing, it was grinding in almost every gear. Well my dad dropped the car off today since Im at college (No my car was not a grad. gift, far from it I pay every cent to keep that baby), and he called me after talking to the shop about the problems. Apparently when the mechanic took it out for a drive to see the grinding problem, the tranny locked up real bad, to the point where it's not fixable. The result, brand new transmission and clutch for me, and a hefty bill sent to Nissan because it's covered by the warranty.

Don't know how to feel about this, I mean Im gettin a new tranny/clutch, but the fact that the tranny blew is kind of disheartening. I put 10,000 miles on it since January, never took it to the track, but drove it like a Z should be driven.. heh heh. No powershifting, in fact I consider myself a good driver/shifter, so Im a little dissapointed that the tranny went out so early in its life. I duno if this has happened to others (Im sure it has). Hopefully when I go turbo'd next summer this new transmission will be able to handle all the extra power. I know upgrading the clutch is a must, but what can be expected of the stock tranny?
Old 09-06-2005, 01:10 PM
pj550v12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hit or miss with trannys, unfortionatly its usually miss. I know people who get the tranny replaced and still have problems, and I know people who have it replaced and never have a problem again. The weak link of this car is the tranny, no doubt, but like I said you have to just hope you get a good one. I will be getting mine replaced as well as soon as I save up for a JWT flywheel and clutch. Good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 PM
Fletch69z

Damn, hopefully you got a good one. I have a good one in my car but the other day my damn pass. window wouldn't roll up (another common problem). Now it works but I have to go to the dealership and see if I can convince them that it wasn't working and now is, but needs replaced. I don't know if they'll go for it or not since they are working now.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:12 PM
SekZee

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
Damn, hopefully you got a good one. I have a good one in my car but the other day my damn pass. window wouldn't roll up (another common problem). Now it works but I have to go to the dealership and see if I can convince them that it wasn't working and now is, but needs replaced. I don't know if they'll go for it or not since they are working now.

lol u sure u didnt have a window lock button on?