Damn hater damaged my Z.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 11:01 PM
raymanZ
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 words: PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR - PDR

That really really sucks man,

BUT, all hope is not lost. Now granted, your dent is large, but check into PDR (paintless dent repair). These guys are AMAZING... Now they are usually for smaller dents, but if there is no damage to the paint, I would definitely try this route. Ask around, see what people say. It involves no new panels or painting (perfect for a new car with a factory paint job like ours).

What these guys do is have a rubber-ended stick and "massage out" the dent from underneath the panel. Usually, they can get to it without drilling any holes in your side panels. I got a dent (smaller than yours though) in my door fixed and the guy went through the window. Beautiful job. Can never tell there was a dent there. A good guy will do an incerdible job. They set up all these bright light around the dent and work it until it is no longer perceptible.

Might be worth a try, and it shouldnt cost you more then ~150 bucks since it is all labor.

RaymanZ
Old 12-17-2002, 01:49 AM
mark754

That sucks, man. I hope your insurance ends up covering it.

I agree that you can't worry about these lowlifes vandalizing your car. I'll park where everyone else parks and try to find an end spot.

Regarding door dings, what about installing a strip of that clear bra film on each of the doors? It may not protect against dents from people slamming their door open on your car, but it would prevent paint chips and maybe minor dings.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:59 AM
Old Skooler

Thanks people. It's nice to be able to come here and vent and have people commiserate with you.

raymanZ, unfortunately the dent has caused some paint to flake off on the edge of the panel, so I don't think I can take that route. I need a whole new quarterpanel. Lord knows what it'll cost, glad I've got insurance!

I'll keep you guys updated and definitely post pics when it's done. The appraiser's supposed to look at it today or Wednesday.

And yeah, if I had seen the guy ONE of us definitely wouldn't of walked away...that I'd guarantee.

Doesn't the Z have a factory alarm? Why didn't that go off? I'm guessing it's only if somebody starts it up without the actual key with the chip in the fob?
Old 12-17-2002, 06:58 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by Old Skooler
Thanks people. It's nice to be able to come here and vent and have people commiserate with you.

raymanZ, unfortunately the dent has caused some paint to flake off on the edge of the panel, so I don't think I can take that route. I need a whole new quarterpanel. Lord knows what it'll cost, glad I've got insurance!

I'll keep you guys updated and definitely post pics when it's done. The appraiser's supposed to look at it today or Wednesday.

And yeah, if I had seen the guy ONE of us definitely wouldn't of walked away...that I'd guarantee.

Doesn't the Z have a factory alarm? Why didn't that go off? I'm guessing it's only if somebody starts it up without the actual key with the chip in the fob?
If the door locks are unlocked from the inside after a certain amount of time, the alarm will go off... (if the window were broken)

I doubt it would go off with the wrong key. Immobilizers are a bit different with each make of car. Acura's shuts down after 3 tries and the car has to be towed to a dealer.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:05 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Sorry about the car, That is my biggest worry.
When as the last time someone went to investagate a car alarm? All car alarms do now is warn people to stay away as there is a car being broken into or the owner set it off in error.
Years ago I set off a customers alarm while I was test driving their car. Not one person including a school crossing gaurd and a police officer stopped me to investagate. I did however have a lady at a stop light yell for me to turn it off.
The best way to keep someone from stealing your car is pull a fuse to the fuel pump or ECU. It takes too long to find the missing fuse and odds are the thief will not have a clue. Pulling a relay from the underhood junction block takes a little more time but is hard for a thief to replace because you can't just put a "penny" in its place. You have too have the corect relay. I know this is not going to stop dipsticks from kicking a car but it does keep it from driving off.
Old 12-17-2002, 08:22 AM
all_bark

You just dont F%$$##% with a mans automobile.

Man, I wish I saw that guy do it. When you got back to your car there would be a head on the ground next to your dented Z

sorry dude, that is just WRONG!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:21 AM
Old Skooler

heh, thanks bark. Okay, here's an update...I just got back from the body shop, they are NOT going to replace the quarter panel, as I'd lose the factory welds and undercoating and all that crap, so they're going to work the dent out somehow. I very quickly pointed out the crease as well and they say they can handle it. Also something about a thin layer of plastic over the top to make it smooth...I was basically like, "if it looks like it never happened, I don't care what you do." They should do a good job, they're a good shop. Also, my insurance is calling it under vandalism, which means comprehensive, which means $0 deductible, which means Matt gets to buy his daughter some presents for Christmas!! I'm sure she'll appreciate that...
Attached Thumbnails Damn hater damaged my Z.-shaun21.jpg  
Old 12-17-2002, 10:36 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt gets to buy his daughter some presents for Christmas!! I'm sure she'll appreciate that...
Awwwww, she's so cute! How old is she?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:46 AM
abz123

Alarms can cause problems too. I remember living in the dorms in college. This one guy would set his alarm where it was too sensitive and it went off all night. He woke up one morning with his car flipped upside down. Dorms, hang overs and alarms don't mix.

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
Sorry about the car, That is my biggest worry.
When as the last time someone went to investagate a car alarm? All car alarms do now is warn people to stay away as there is a car being broken into or the owner set it off in error.
Years ago I set off a customers alarm while I was test driving their car. Not one person including a school crossing gaurd and a police officer stopped me to investagate. I did however have a lady at a stop light yell for me to turn it off.
The best way to keep someone from stealing your car is pull a fuse to the fuel pump or ECU. It takes too long to find the missing fuse and odds are the thief will not have a clue. Pulling a relay from the underhood junction block takes a little more time but is hard for a thief to replace because you can't just put a "penny" in its place. You have too have the corect relay. I know this is not going to stop dipsticks from kicking a car but it does keep it from driving off.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:31 PM
Morgan2

Default That suck's

Man, iffffffff I caught someone.... That's my worse fear, last night I went to the movies, parked way away from everyone. Came out there's a yellow MR2 & three kids standing outside my car. I walked up, they scattered! Makes you just want to leave it in the garage. I hope it all works out for you.

Morgan

87 300zx
89 944 -
90 300ZX TT - had to come back home!
95 300ZX TT
03 350Z Daytona Blue Track
XPel - Clear Bra - I'm just getting started.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:42 PM
TXSTYLE
Banned

Talking Re: Damn hater damaged my Z.

My girlfriend and I go to catch a movie at the AMC Grand in Dallas, and I park the Z far away of course so nobody will ding it. Bad call this time, as someone got jealous and decided I didn't need a perfect car, so they kicked/hit/did SOMETHING to my damn Z, and now it looks like this. Filed a report with the Dallas police, but of course nothing will come of it. I'm calling my insurance company today. What really bums me is I didn't do anything! Someone just had to gimme some hate. Probably a good thing I didn't see the person, as I'd be in jail right now. Goddamn haters sippin' on haterade.....
Matt, I am terribly sorry for you brother. There is just absolutely no reason at all for that sh** to have happened! And you are right in saying "It's a good thing you were not around when that happened!" Who knows what the outcome would have been....
Now that I know where you were, I can in all honesty say that, Yes, it used to be "The place to go" for movies. Now, thugs and kids all over the place. I too try and be very cautious in not only where I park but how I park as well. To be perfectly honest with you, I valet almost everywhere I go! It just happens to be available in the places I frequent. You have a peace of mind knowing if your car gets damaged, they are liable. When valet is not practicle or should I say available, I always look for a spot as close to my destination as possible. Here's the key though: I ALWAYS park or try and park either next to a "Handicapped spot or where there is a curb, tree, median, island, barrier, pillar or SOMETHING where there is just ONE car next to mine!" This is sooo crucial for me. If this is not possible, I literally wait for a spot! Some might say I'm a little ****, oh well. It's my sh** that I've busted my a** for, and so what if we have insurance? I don't want to go thru the hassle and down time without my friggin ride! The parking steps above that I mentioned, I have practiced for well over 5 years, every since I have had nice cars. I have been very fortunate thus far. And I advise everyone to at least try these steps.
On another note Matt, I have a couple of friends who have Body Shops in the Plano area. If you need me to put in the word or you're interested let me know.

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 12-17-2002 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:54 PM
Old Skooler

Jill- She'll be four next June.

Marcus- Thanks man, but I just turned in the Z half an hour ago to the body shop here in Killeen. I'm fairly confident they'll do me right. As for parking, well, I've learned my lesson about parking far away...and although I normally do the "one car" thing, looking for end spots, I'll be doing this exclusively now and not parking off in BFE.

I miss my Z already...I'm driving that damn Prizm beater again, ugh. It feels weird having low sills again, god this hunk of junk is SO not a Z...it's weird...it's like the anti-Z.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:58 PM
DrCold

Damn, im sorry about yer car man. But at least you are getting it fixed, and your insurance isnt going to make you take it up the rear.

I had planned to try and get a z (if i could find one at a dealer) and have the car ASAP. But i changed my mind after i took a look around my neighborhood. I guess i just never paid attention before, but i live in the ghetto! I dont mind parking my truck here, but i dont think i could ever leave the Z alone. So, what do i do? I go out and apply for an apartment in the nicest part of town. Hey, nothings going to stop me from getting my Z, its just going to take a little longer. Im going from $425 a month to over $750. But i think its going to be worth it. Plus i get an attached gurage! Never had one i could park my car in before. The down side is, i have to wait to order the car till late spring. Then if its still 4-5 months out, i wont have much time to enjoy it before i have to park it for the winter. Speaking of waiting for it, when can you order a 2004 model, i've been wondering if it would be worth it to wait a couple months longer and get a 2004 or not. Oh well, i'll get the Z, soon i hope.

-DrCold
Old 12-17-2002, 03:15 PM
Old Skooler

Unless you can get a 2003 for a decent amount under MSRP, I'd just hold out for 2004.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:24 PM
DrCold

Unless you can get a 2003 for a decent amount under MSRP, I'd just hold out for 2004.
I wonder when i can place an order for the 2004 then. Dont the next year models arive at dealers in aug. ? I'll have to call my dealer and see if he knows when i can place an order for a 2004. Thanks for the quick reply tho.

-DrCold
Old 12-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Anyone2u
Charter Member #82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by abz123
Alarms can cause problems too. I remember living in the dorms in college. This one guy would set his alarm where it was too sensitive and it went off all night. He woke up one morning with his car flipped upside down. Dorms, hang overs and alarms don't mix.
That dorm story and this "senseless" incident just reminded me about my freshman year in my dorm. One of my new dorm mates was going to the store and offered me a ride. When I got in his car I noticed he had an unbelievable stereo system. I asked him how much his setup up cost and he bragged that it cost him "a brick and a couple of minutes" and went on to tell me how he would continually upgrade his stereo equipment when he saw something he liked on the street or a parking lot. I wasn't impressed and asked him if ever felt bad for the person whose car he destroyed to "upgrade" his stereo, to which he replied that they "probably had insurance so no one got hurt".

Obviously my opinion of the guy changed from that point forward but the ironic part happened about a month later. I was awakened by his screaming one morning when he discovered someone had attempted to break into his car with a coathanger and steal his stereo and in the process scratched his door to boot! I don't believe I have ever seen anyone quite as upset as he was, and he continued to swear vengeance for the next week or so. He truly never saw the irony of the situation.

I have never understood how someone could be so apathetic and do something like this to someone else's car. At least when my dorm mate ruined someone's car he gained something, but what did this dent accomplish? The mentality of some people continues to amaze and depress me.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:58 PM
CZredZ

Default Almost speechless

I read about this incident earlier today and I was tempted to post another KILL KILL KILL replay. However I try to maintain a mature Christian attitude so I refrained from posting.

I wanted to post a wise and mature message that some of our more violent and judgmental members could learn from.

So I thought and thought, and well I got nothing.

So, for your sake man, I hope this gets taken care of in a 100% acceptable manner (impossible as you will never forget this incident, even after the car is gone).

And by the way, I now support the death penalty for vandals.

Old 12-17-2002, 09:17 PM
raceboy
Banned

You know, I don't even believe in God, but just in case there is one let me offer this prayer: Oh dear God who art in heaven, please lay your fury and wrath on any haters who damage a man's car out of jealousy. Come into their homes at night like you did in Egypt and kill their children. At the same time, rip off their genetalia with a vice grip, but do it slowly so they may learn and repent. Then brand upon their eunich faces their crime so that all may see and they shall be treated as lepers and outcasts by the rest of us. Ahmen!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:29 PM
s9am_me

uuuggghhhhh!!!! Thats what sux about this world. People get all jealous and hate on you just cuz u got a nice car. Man, if i saw someone vadalizing another Z around my neighborhood... or if i was at that theater parkin lot and saw what he was doin.. i'd whoop on him too.. dont even trip bro.. we got your back.. probably unleash my glock up on him.

Quick Reply: Damn hater damaged my Z.