Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Listen to this insurance story

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:54 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Listen to this insurance story

So I've been with State Farm for 8 years now, clean record, $1,000 deductable. I am paying $244/Month $2,928/Year for the Z and a 94 Camry. I'm 23, I have the good student discount, multiple car discount, accident-free discount. This in NJ mind you.

So I go on Geico.com, get a quote for the same thing but a $500 deductable. The new price is $133/Month or $1,606/Year. So I call up to verify that, and they run my credit....price drops to $110/Month $1,320/Year for a savings of about $1,700/year

I'm switching lol. Moral of the story, call around for insurance!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Moreorles

State Farm is usually a little high. However, I don't in any way think that Geico and State farm are comparable insurance providers. Make sure all of your limits are the same and that you are not underinsured. A lot of companies will underinsure you just to get a lower price.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:01 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by Moreorles
State Farm is usually a little high. However, I don't in any way think that Geico and State farm are comparable insurance providers. Make sure all of your limits are the same and that you are not underinsured. A lot of companies will underinsure you just to get a lower price.
Yeah I was the one that chose all the options for the amounts....everything is actually the same but with a better deductable.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:24 AM
BigMike

Sound like a commerical but "I save money by switch to Geico". I'm 42 and have been with State Farm since I was 16. I called Geico 2 years ago and we saved about $1800 a year by switching to Geico.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by D@ActiveTuning
So I've been with State Farm for 8 years now, clean record, $1,000 deductable. I am paying $244/Month $2,928/Year for the Z and a 94 Camry. I'm 23, I have the good student discount, multiple car discount, accident-free discount. This in NJ mind you.

So I go on Geico.com, get a quote for the same thing but a $500 deductable. The new price is $133/Month or $1,606/Year. So I call up to verify that, and they run my credit....price drops to $110/Month $1,320/Year for a savings of about $1,700/year

I'm switching lol. Moral of the story, call around for insurance!

Based on my insurance researches.....(Geico is my current insurance provider), State Farm, AllState, NationWide, Esurance, Progressive and couple of other low end providers...I found that Geico has one of the BEST rates. All quotes/rates were fairly identical. Their customer service department is by FAR the best I have ever experienced with any insurance companies out in the market.

Take the online defensive drivers course...you can also save additional $50.00 for 3 years.

Keep in mind that insurance quotes does not affect your credit rating...no matter how many inquiries you submit.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Z4ME2

I did a price quote on Geico when my wife got a new car and they were $370/yr more than Mercury for two cars (probably helps that I've been with Mercury for 24 years with no accidents). I'm not totally satisfied with the service, however. YMMV. One interesting tidbit: Ask for the difference in price if you drop your deductible down to $250 or even $100. In many cases, dropping the deductible doesn't make that much difference in price. Doing so would cover most of the repair costs of things you might not have bothered with, such as replacing a rock-chipped windshield.

- John
Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by Z4ME2
One interesting tidbit: Ask for the difference in price if you drop your deductible down to $250 or even $100. In many cases, dropping the deductible doesn't make that much difference in price. Doing so would cover most of the repair costs of things you might not have bothered with, such as replacing a rock-chipped windshield.

- John
That's not true, the deductible plays a big roll on the coverage cost.
Yes, you are true about the lower deductible...less out of your pocket in the event of an accident or whatever...however you pay higher premium.

Collision coverage deductible pays for loss or damage to your vehicle caused by collision with another vehicle or object. Payments are made on an actual cash value basis for the amount of each loss above your deductible. Collision is an optional coverage. In deciding whether you wish to carry collision, you may want to consider the present value of your vehicle and the cost of the coverage. If you finance or lease your vehicle you will probably need to carry this coverage as part of your lease or financing agreement. Refer to your lease/finance agreement for details. When selecting a deductible, you should choose a deductible that meets your financial needs. The deductible is the amount you will pay out-of-pocket should a loss occur. The higher the deductible, the lower the premium charged for this coverage.
Change the Collision coverage deductible from $1,000, $500, $250 and $100...see how much of an increase or decrease it is.

Last edited by mchong75; 09-07-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 AM
10secapsttz
Banned

Geico will drop you like a hot potato if you make even one claim...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:03 AM
D@ActiveTuning

Originally Posted by 10secapsttz
Geico will drop you like a hot potato if you make even one claim...
Lol, well worth saving $1,700/year for that one claim then *knock on wood*
Old 09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Fletch69z

Insurance just sucks in general, . I'm with State Farm and have been my whole life and for just the Z, no accidents, no tickets (claimed yet, I have to go to court to do the diversion for my first ticket in Oct.) I pay about $125/ month. I'm pretty happy with it and that's with a $100 deductible, $30/day rental coverage and pretty good all around coverage.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:12 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

USAA gets me about the best rate in the industry, and their service is truly second to none.

Dave, glad to hear you were able to save some $$$ by humping the lizard.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:16 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate insurance as much as the next guy, but its better than a government operated system. If people would stop treating car insurance like health insurance then rates would be a lot better. For example, you have an estimated damage for $600 and your deductable is $500. By making a claim/s, your not only likely to end up raising your rate, but also contributing to a future rate increase for that carrier for everyone. And its all those small claims that really add up. I'm not saying don't use your insurance, but you should really only use your insurance for large claim type inccidents. It'll be better for you and better for everyone else in the long run. Also there is no such thing as a company with the best rate all the time...throughout the course of your life you will probably be able to obtain a better rate through different insurance carriers. For those of you with GEICO, have a few accidents or tickets and see if your still singing the same tune. The only company I've found to almost always have the best rate is Hartford/AARP, and they are a members only group for people age 55 and over (I think its 55). And even with them, you have to be completely accident/ticket free to qualify and if you get one while your with them, then you'll likely be nonrenewed. Thats just the nature of insurance...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:18 PM
zul8r

It's true geico drops so quick if a claim is made. I know it just happened to me and my sister. Geico sucks. They are so hard to deal with
Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM
kcobean

Geico has also been a serious provider of laser-guns for several major police departments...

more speeding tickets = more revenue for Geico.

Screw the lizard.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:34 PM
mavtais

Insurance is a business... I hate that about auto insurance especially, because even after staying with the same company for years and years, paying a heavy premium, you don't get anything back if you go for 2 or 3 years without an accident. We are supposed to pay insurance so that they will cover us incase **** happens (Chris Rock). If **** doesn't happen, then we should get a little money back. I mean the administrative duties of keeping a file that has no activity doesn't cost very much. The premium increases because of tickets and accidents, etc. because the Insurance companies want their money back for covering us, but what about all the money that they didn't use on us for staying out of trouble?! We should get a little money back as well a lower premium! Instead, it counts as their company "profit." GRR.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Lodus

Get USAA if at all possible. They have a couple good selling points. First they are the number-one ranked for customer service. Second they actually send you a refund check in the mail every year for whatever money they havn't spent on claims. Last year they mailed me 300 bucks. Also they never raise your rates. I've been in 4 accidents since I got insured through them and I have some very hairy speeding tickets (95 in a 55 for example). My rates actually went down (only like 10 bucks) after one accident I was in.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:50 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by mavtais
Insurance is a business... I hate that about auto insurance especially, because even after staying with the same company for years and years, paying a heavy premium, you don't get anything back if you go for 2 or 3 years without an accident. We are supposed to pay insurance so that they will cover us incase **** happens (Chris Rock). If **** doesn't happen, then we should get a little money back. I mean the administrative duties of keeping a file that has no activity doesn't cost very much. The premium increases because of tickets and accidents, etc. because the Insurance companies want their money back for covering us, but what about all the money that they didn't use on us for staying out of trouble?! We should get a little money back as well a lower premium! Instead, it counts as their company "profit." GRR.
How many months of insurance premiums would you personally have to pay to cover the cost if your $30,000 car gets destroyed in an accident? Alot right? So other people's premiums have to be used to write your check just like your premiums get used to write someone elses check. Point being that money has to be available to cover huge payouts, when each person only pays a little every month. To use your terminology, "**** happening" costs alot more money than $150 or so dollars a month in premiums, and that's why you don't get something back.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:26 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Gee, I must be the exception to the Geico lower rates.

I've been with State Farm for many years, in fact since I got my first Z back in 1980. Last year, I called Geico to get a quote and they all but told me that there was no way they could beat SF (at least in my state). Sure enough, after spending a half-hour on the phone with them the final cost for Geico was about $50/mo higher. Considering that I get a discount on my homeowners for multi-line coverage, it would have cost me even more to switch to Geico.

On a related note, people post the question here all the time "How much do you pay for insurance on the Z?". That question is almost as useless as "how much are your notes...". Insurance varies so much by state and even city that it's totally pointless to tell somebody what you pay unless they are the same age, live in the same city and of course, have the same driving history (accidents, tickets, etc.).
Old 09-07-2005, 02:47 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GEICO can kiss my butt. I wont go into detail with them but F them.

BTW I pay $170 a month for full coverage on my Z in MD, $100 deductable on comp and $1000 for collision. I also pay $34.95 a month for my 2002 CBR. with a $100 deductable.
GEICO is about the same if not a tad bit cheaper for my 350Z however the CBR is something like $4000 a year WITH OUT FULL COVERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22yo, clean record, 780 credit score.

anywho, insruance is weird. it all depends on age, credit, record, and where you live. I pay 34 bucks a month but I know of people on the other side of the country twice my age with familes that pay 100+ a month.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
OrangeZYa

For those saying that State Farm offers a superior service to Geico:

I haven't been with Geico, but based on my experience with State Farm, I would have to disagree. When you file a claim, the local agents don't do a damn thing except tell you to call the 800 number... so tell me, why am I paying extra overhead for the local agents when I have to deal with the 800 number people over the phone anyway?

Additionally, State Farm has made my claim absolute hell. I wrecked my Z on June 8th and still don't have it back, and it's not because I haven't been calling both them and the body shop every day raising hell. The body shop has told me that they have, on multiple occasions, had to wait 4-5 days for state farm's "adjusters" to inspect the car so they can order more parts. It is asinine.

Quick Reply: Listen to this insurance story