Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Test Drove 05 Z, felt really slow.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Hypnoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drove 05 Z, felt really slow.

So i decide to test drive an 05 Z just to see what they're all about, as i am in the market for a new car.

It handled well, ride wasn't bad at all, steering was great, and the styling is good, however this car just doesn't feel fast! It definitely didn't feel like it had 240whp.

I never got that feeling of being pinned in my seat.... not even close. What's the deal? I don't think i could own a car that didnt at least FEEL fast, especially a 'sports' car! And also the interior material quality is very poor.

Other than those 2 gripes, everything else is good. I was just surprised how slow it felt compared to some other cars.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:56 AM
morganga

Originally Posted by Hypnoz

Other than those 2 gripes, everything else is good. I was just surprised how slow it felt compared to some other cars.
What else are you comparing it to? There are always faster, lighter cars out there. They have SUVs with 400+ HP these days, so I guess it all depends on what you are comparing it to and want from a car.

g
Old 09-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Lerxst

Also take into account the smooth torque curve... I found in the S2000 it was a dog until you get the rpms up and then you feel the pull. With the VQ35 its a consistent pull over the rpm range where it's possible to not appreciate how much power is being transferred to the wheels.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Hybrid90

Yeah I got that feeling when I first got my 05. In 1st and 2nd gear, it revs fast but it seems like the car is moving slow. But once I've been driving alot, I found that it's pretty smooth all around the rpm range, good power in the freeway. To get rid of the high rev slow moving feel, get yourself a JWT pop charger then you will definitely feel the diference. Best $130 I've ever spent! The car pulls very HARD, you'll fall in love instantly!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 350Z is not for everyone. Buy something else.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a 2000 jetta when I test drove the 03 350Z and man was I out of my eliment. The car seems so damn fast. And that is with the TCS on. Once I took TCS off, it was another playing field.

You also got to remember there is a break in time where the ECU will keep the car slower then it's max until you drive about 5,000km ( I could be wrong on the number).

So i decide to test drive an 05 Z just to see what they're all about, as i am in the market for a new car.

It handled well, ride wasn't bad at all, steering was great, and the styling is good, however this car just doesn't feel fast! It definitely didn't feel like it had 240whp.

I never got that feeling of being pinned in my seat.... not even close. What's the deal? I don't think i could own a car that didnt at least FEEL fast, especially a 'sports' car! And also the interior material quality is very poor.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:47 AM
///M350Z

to what cars are you comparing the Z?? 0 - 60 in 5.3 1/4 mile 13.9 is not slow
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 AM
ohw

Agree with all the above posts. The Z is very smooth for power delivery, almost too smooth. Since it's "drive by wire", I wonder if that is part of the design to make it more "refined". If you want more "feel" of pull, try something with turbo. The ones with more lag give you more feel of pull.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:57 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And also the interior material quality is very poor.
someone needs to start decking people who say this, it's almost cliche. WTF are you looking at nissan's for? go get your BMW and STFU already. We've heard this a million times. It's being addressed in the 2006 model. I still think the interior design is more exciting than most sports car interiors. Not sure if you've noticed just how many sports cars are using plastic these days. It's light, it's durable, it's low cost.

BTW, I drove my dad's C6 auto and I didn't think it felt as fast as my modded NA Z even though I know it is faster...

Last edited by sentry65; 09-12-2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
kt350z

You need need to go get yourself a drag car if you are looking for somehting to throw you back in the seat. This car is smooth, does not mean it is not fast.

My porsche is very smooth and does not throw you back in the seat, but very fast.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
elms350Z

I agree 1st and 2nd gear doesn't seem to pull. But once you get to 4th which is my fav gear =) it pulls consistently hard all the way through. As far as the Z not feeling fast??? What's fast to you? The Z is only about .8 sec slower that the EVO in the 1/4 mile? I'm guessing you didn't push the Z at higher speeds...that's its playground

Last edited by elms350Z; 09-12-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:02 AM
samw1978

the Z doesn't FEEL fast but it is compared to most of the cars
I was kind of disappointed when I first got the car, the car just felt slow.. until I raced with a mustang that I realized the Z isn't that slow

don't let the flat torque curve fool you~
Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Darthvol

I suppose I'm proud there haven't been more flames; when you come on a forum dedicated to ANY particular car and then put it down, it tends to require donning flame retardant clothing on the part of the poster.

Hypnoz, the bottom line is indeed what you're comparing it to; from a previous post, I'll assume the GTO. From what you've written above, you seem to be looking for a car that you think "looks" as cool as the Z w/the 400hp V8 'Vette-engined power of the GTO, for the same price. Unless you have an unusual definition of "beautiful," you aren't gonna find a car for 25-35K with both.

You've posted about the STi before. It's faster, stock, than the Z, but IMHO, it and it's Mitsu cousin, the EVO (also lightning fast) are both fugly, as is the GTO (they don't call it the goat for nuthin').

Other cars with the horses you want, together with the cool looks factor, are gonna be way too expensive, e.g., a 911 Turbo, Lambo, Ferrari, or SLK 55AMG.

What it sounds like what you "want" is a C6 'Vette, which can be had, stripped all the way down to base (you'd prob. have to special order), for about 45K. Even if that means you can't afford a new car until next year, I'd advise saving up and waiting.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

what RPM did you get up to?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:39 AM
danvain

Originally Posted by Darthvol
I suppose I'm proud there haven't been more flames; when you come on a forum dedicated to ANY particular car and then put it down, it tends to require donning flame retardant clothing on the part of the poster.

Hypnoz, the bottom line is indeed what you're comparing it to; from a previous post, I'll assume the GTO. From what you've written above, you seem to be looking for a car that you think "looks" as cool as the Z w/the 400hp V8 'Vette-engined power of the GTO, for the same price. Unless you have an unusual definition of "beautiful," you aren't gonna find a car for 25-35K with both.

You've posted about the STi before. It's faster, stock, than the Z, but IMHO, it and it's Mitsu cousin, the EVO (also lightning fast) are both fugly, as is the GTO (they don't call it the goat for nuthin').

Other cars with the horses you want, together with the cool looks factor, are gonna be way too expensive, e.g., a 911 Turbo, Lambo, Ferrari, or SLK 55AMG.

What it sounds like what you "want" is a C6 'Vette, which can be had, stripped all the way down to base (you'd prob. have to special order), for about 45K. Even if that means you can't afford a new car until next year, I'd advise saving up and waiting.
Yeah, this is a pretty mature message board. Not too many people over react.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:54 PM
redvert

go drive chrysler crap!!!!or a non-selling gto!!!i never saw an uglier car in my life. rednecks dont look right in a Z.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Adibese

you need to turn vdc off.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:04 PM
MeetJoeAsian

ya know what's funny....when i take off hard, at first, I felt like it's not moving fast just by looking out the windshield or keeping my eyes on my tach...but EVERYTIME i check my rearview mirror and look back at the cars that were behind me, they're not just behind me, but they're WAAAY behind me....i'd be on the freeway and I look back and the cars that were behind me, are not over the hilly top yet....so that's how I judge how fast my car moved
Old 09-12-2005, 01:07 PM
tropicalypso

I just got through the 1200 mile break in period, the car seems a hell of lot faster now then when I drove it off the lot 4 weeks ago. Just remember, the magic begins at over 4000 rpm's

Any car that can burn its tires when shifting into 2nd is pretty damn quick if you ask me.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
superblackZ720

Originally Posted by sentry65
someone needs to start decking people who say this, it's almost cliche. WTF are you looking at nissan's for? go get your BMW and STFU already. We've heard this a million times. It's being addressed in the 2006 model. I still think the interior design is more exciting than most sports car interiors. Not sure if you've noticed just how many sports cars are using plastic these days. It's light, it's durable, it's low cost.

BTW, I drove my dad's C6 auto and I didn't think it felt as fast as my modded NA Z even though I know it is faster...
+1

Quick Reply: Test Drove 05 Z, felt really slow.