Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Drove an A/T for the first time yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:04 PM
MeetJoeAsian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove an A/T for the first time yesterday....

I have a 6 speed manual...and sometimes I wonder if the automatic actually picks up better with the tiptronic shifting thinggy...and I've always wonder, maybe I would like the automatic a lot better since I wouldn't have to shift in rush hour and stuff...well...yesterday, I had an opportunity to take one out for a spin...and oooh, I do NOT regret getting a 6speed....sitting in a Z without manual leaves you nuthing to do....and everytime I floored the car, it takes forever for it to search gear.....and the pickup is usually not that powerful either....even in that automatic shift mode, it didn't catch right away...and of course, you don't hear the roaring of the engine as good as the 6speed.....i guess, for some of us who can't handle a true sport car for what it is, well....what's the point of owning an true sport car with A/T????....I will never regret my choice again....
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
I have a 6 speed manual...and sometimes I wonder if the automatic actually picks up better with the tiptronic shifting thinggy...and I've always wonder, maybe I would like the automatic a lot better since I wouldn't have to shift in rush hour and stuff...well...yesterday, I had an opportunity to take one out for a spin...and oooh, I do NOT regret getting a 6speed....sitting in a Z without manual leaves you nuthing to do....and everytime I floored the car, it takes forever for it to search gear.....and the pickup is usually not that powerful either....even in that automatic shift mode, it didn't catch right away...and of course, you don't hear the roaring of the engine as good as the 6speed.....i guess, for some of us who can't handle a true sport car for what it is, well....what's the point of owning an true sport car with A/T????....I will never regret my choice again....

Sports cars have to be purchased with MTs.

Otherwise, it's like marrying a supermodel and forcing her wear a bag over her head.

Granted, there are some pretty sophisticated AT's out there with paddles, SMG's or whatever, but at the end of the day, nothing beats 3 pedals and a stick.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
abyss

My dad had to get his corvette in an automatic because my mom hates manny tranny, boy were we dissapointed.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:39 PM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by abyss
My dad had to get his corvette in an automatic because my mom hates manny tranny, boy were we dissapointed.
GOSH...WOMEN CAN BE SO $@)%*&@$(^*&$(f$ew@$@%(@$*%)i)(@*y(&#@%$
Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by abyss
Buy 2 vettes
1 MT
1 AT
hahahahaha
good compromise no?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 PM
DZ2005

+1 on manual sports cars......
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zpak
nothing beats 3 pedals and a stick.
+100 !! I will row my own gear for as long as Im physically able.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
ZinMiami

Live in a congested city environment where you spend 70% of you drive time in traffic that moves at about 5 to 10MPH for miles on end and you will learn to appreciate why folks sometimes go with auto.

Trust me all my performance cars have always been MT and yes I do miss it when the roads are clear but every morning and evening reminds me why I went auto this time.

Last edited by ZinMiami; 09-14-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:17 PM
lane myers

i have the 6spd, but i had a chance to drive an at zr at a party, some girl had one in the same color as mine, so we swapped cars and let the other see what they were missing. i loved the zr with the top down, its money, and i often think about changing over, but i like the hardtop as well. anyways, back to the topic at hand, i actaully thought the at was really nice, i noticed good pick up and and sports shift thing was "neat". no complaints, it wasnt bad, probably one of the better at's i've driven, i'm a manual type of person, but the z's at impressed me.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 PM
OrbitalPerform

Originally Posted by ZinMiami
Live in a congested city environment where you spend 70% of you drive time in traffic that moves at about 5 to 10MPH for miles on end and you will learn to appreciate why folks sometimes go with auto.

Trust me all my performance cars have always been MT and yes I do miss it when the roads are clear but every morning and evening reminds me why I went auto this time.
Actually, MTs in congestion really doesn't bother me. But besides, your weekend sports car really shouldn't be a AT. Go ahead and make the commuter car an AT tho
Old 09-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Juno

I gave in to the AT thing for a few years when I first got married, thinking that living in an area with a lot of traffic it would be better. After a couple of years I finally convinced the hubby to let me buy another MT. I didn't realize how much I missed MT until I had it back.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
tulene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an AT so i dont bash into my doggie who sits on the center console in a special doggie carrier

whatever, its fine. with the way the worlds going im just glad to have what i have!
Old 09-14-2005, 06:32 PM
OrbitalPerform

To me the MT gives me such a a bigger sense of control. It really feels like I'm driving rather than there for what the car wants to do.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
ZlleH

Was the AT the same specs as your Z(exhuast, intake, plunem, HFC, testpipes, headers, etc.)? And I guess those Ferrari's with the padels aren't really considered "true" sports cars in your eyes since you have nothing to do...

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-14-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:46 PM
tulene

when i first got the car i thrashed it at every opportunity. but with my girlfriend and doggie i am driving around precious cargo so i take it way easier.
besides, considering what my friends are driving, they're not exactly feeling sorry for me that i have an AT.

oh yeah, hello AMG. uh, formula 1? auto or it's iterations of manu-maticisms are just fine.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:00 PM
defex

BMW's SMG is damn near as fast and fun as a manual. Still, I'd rather a manual..

If I was in bumper to bumper traffic everyday for work I'd buy a beater auto.. to drive to work..
Old 09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
cvt

cripes...these threads are on every car enthusiat site..."i love my manual..autos of for teh gheys"...lol
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Aggro_Al

Were you shifting the 5AT correctly? The throttle manuever on the 5AT is opposite what you would do on the 6MT. Lifting off the throttle during shifts will get you really slow and/or sloppy shifting. In general, you want to have an accelerating throttle or neutral throttle to get the best shifts on the 5AT. It took me several days of conscious effort to break the habit of lifting off the throttle during the shift. If you just came off of an MT, the motion is disconcerting and has to be learned. You'll find yourself unconsciously lifting off the throttle many times at first. Also, the shifting gets better after the trannny learns and adapts to the driver. I driven both the 6MT and the 5AT and I haven't noticed any performance difference. I think most people overrate their MT driving skills. You really have to be an excellent driver and seriously concentrate for the 6MT to consistently beat the 5AT on the track. There are very few people who have the skill to do that.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
lane myers

^^^ yea, one will pop up here every month or two...
Old 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Both the manual and automatic transmissions are suitable for different drivers. The benefits of one take nothing away from the other.

Quick Reply: Drove an A/T for the first time yesterday....