Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Drove an A/T for the first time yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Aggro_Al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
cripes...these threads are on every car enthusiat site..."i love my manual..autos of for teh gheys"...lol
With the exception of one of zpak's sentences, it's been tame. I don't have a problem with people saying they don't like ATs as long as they aren't way off base or personally attacking someone.

But, you're right, the MT fanboys will show up soon to start a flame war.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
OrbitalPerform

+1 with Davidy. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and some are better in some situations over others.

And yeah I'm surprised the whole place isnt flamed up already
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM
mashinit

wow... is all i have to say to that A/T vette
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 PM
NewZland

i hate when people talk about getting a beater for traffic and driving to work...Well, most of us in this world can't throw around money to buy several cars having some for weekends and others for weekdays..i'm 20 (21 tomorrow ) so i'm just stoked to have a Z at all and mine is AT and i'm very glad i have an AT w/ the shi!t traffic i go through EVERY SINGLE DAY to school AND work...and i **** on people who talk about not being true sports car enthusiasts just cuz i have an AT, it doesn't change my love for the car and doesn't mean i'm any less of an enthusiast...my .02
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MT is such a waste of Z. tch...tch...
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 PM
boma

I drive an auto civic ex and man did people bash on me for having an automatic.
The rules in traffic though, I just drove the Z through 0-10mph traffic for 45 minutes, and I can't stand it.

Luckily I don't have to drive through traffic most of time.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Clapton9286

I drive an MT and am proud of it. I agree with the guy uptop who talked about control..I just want to know what my engine is doing, and with the auto's ive driven (mainly the 240SX) I didn't get that.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:44 PM
gsazabi

I haven't driven AT Z yet, but I can surely say that I won't have as
much fun as driving my MT.
I live in LA, but MT is just too fun...tire churping and all lol
Old 09-15-2005, 12:06 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Was the AT the same specs as your Z(exhuast, intake, plunem, HFC, testpipes, headers, etc.)? And I guess those Ferrari's with the padels aren't really considered "true" sports cars in your eyes since you have nothing to do...
we're speaking realistically in terms of middle to upper class, not the spoiled rich.....SMGs are nice on the bimmer, yet people still prefer the stick on the bimmer.....and as far as F1 pedals, what affordable car can an average man buy that has a true F1 transmission?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 AM
ZlleH

Double post. see below

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-15-2005 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:23 AM
ZlleH

The original poster was specifying what he thought a "true" sports car was, and apparently it's a car that keeps your right hand busy. I gave him examples of non sports cars in his eyes that did not keep your right hand busy. I didn't think I would have to spell out that point.

And the last time I check, the mercedes with AT "manual-matic" is upper class and not for the spoiled rich.

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
we're speaking realistically in terms of middle to upper class, not the spoiled rich.....SMGs are nice on the bimmer, yet people still prefer the stick on the bimmer.....and as far as F1 pedals, what affordable car can an average man buy that has a true F1 transmission?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:56 AM
sanf

just pointless without a real clutch. you just cant feel the rush of pressing the clutch, throwing into different gears, reving, downshifting, power shifting...etc.

F1 pedal, SMG....touch shift.. they are all nice but the feeling, its just different. (just my personal opinion anyway...)

Last edited by sanf; 09-15-2005 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:04 AM
Low J.
Banned

I know we've covered this a bajillion times but F1 cars and Ferrari's and such aren't "manumatic" transmissions like in the Z and other similar cars....those are manuals with electronic shifting capability that operates the clutch and does the shifting for you. SMG is the same thing.....there are 2 clutches there and the next gear is always pre-selected for you......it's like shifting in a traditional manual only it does it faster than a person normally can which is awesome.

And since when do people buy sports cars when they have to commute every day in traffic bad enough to warrant buying it with a slushbox??? That makes no sense. The people suggesting commuter beaters are smart.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:13 AM
ZlleH

Yeah, there's no rush at all driving a F1 pedal and SMG touch shift...

Originally Posted by sanf
just pointless without a real clutch. you just cant feel the rush of pressing the clutch, throwing into different gears, reving, downshifting, power shifting...etc.

F1 pedal, SMG....touch shift.. they are all nice but the feeling, its just different. (just my personal opinion anyway...)
Old 09-15-2005, 06:16 AM
ZlleH

Since we are sticking to the original posters interpretation of a "true" sports car, he mention that he needs something to "do" with his right hand. the F1 and Ferrari was not mentioned for their speed. they were mentioned because they don't have anything that the original poster can do with his right hand in the car. Didn't think I had to spell it out a second time.

Originally Posted by Low J.
I know we've covered this a bajillion times but F1 cars and Ferrari's and such aren't "manumatic" transmissions like in the Z and other similar cars....those are manuals with electronic shifting capability that operates the clutch and does the shifting for you. SMG is the same thing.....there are 2 clutches there and the next gear is always pre-selected for you......it's like shifting in a traditional manual only it does it faster than a person normally can which is awesome.

And since when do people buy sports cars when they have to commute every day in traffic bad enough to warrant buying it with a slushbox??? That makes no sense. The people suggesting commuter beaters are smart.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:20 AM
sanf

if i could afford a ferrari with F1 shiter. my right hand would be touching the hot chick's leg. in a way.. your right hand is still busy. HA
Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 AM
ZinMiami

Originally Posted by davidv
Both the manual and automatic transmissions are suitable for different drivers. The benefits of one take nothing away from the other.
+1 Exactly................
Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Fletch69z

It's gotta be a manual. But surprisingly most sports cars sell more in AT than MT. But, I say that's good because you know that people that aren't just sports car people are buying them which is telling Nissan "Let's keep making these cars because we're selling a ton of them." I say let the old ladies and old guys (no offense old guys on this board, ) keep buying them and paying for the R and D on future Z's, haha.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Low J.
Banned

Originally Posted by Fletch69z
It's gotta be a manual. But surprisingly most sports cars sell more in AT than MT. But, I say that's good because you know that people that aren't just sports car people are buying them which is telling Nissan "Let's keep making these cars because we're selling a ton of them." I say let the old ladies and old guys (no offense old guys on this board, ) keep buying them and paying for the R and D on future Z's, haha.

They sell more auto's because they are appealing to the lowest common denominator. As much as it sucks to say, there aren't many of us true sports car enthusiasts actually buying sports cars......it's mostly average Joe commuter who thinks the sports car looks cool and still wants his slushbox, cruise control, and comfy seat. Hardcore sports car guys don't make up a large portion of car buyers. As for me, all I want is a steering wheel, three pedals, a stick, and something to hold my a$$ in the seat. If I wanted transportation I'd buy another Element (I loved that thing and yes it was an auto).
Old 09-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Aggro_Al

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
Get the Toyota MR2 with the SMT transmission. Shifting is slow as hell and clunky and it has no full auto-mode like the others but it's an F1-type transmission.

Quick Reply: Drove an A/T for the first time yesterday....