Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 10:23 PM
alear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slay2k,
I am not an owner nor have I driven a 350Z yet. The cars you compared are close in price but you have to admit the BMW is a few years (about 4) older. For the price of the Z you are getting a "new" car. I personally don't trust what others have done to sports cars before I buy it used. And of course the 350Z would come with a warranty, the BMW's warranty is probably running out soon.

As for the performance, the surge of acceleration can easily be added with a small turbo or super charger (I know even more money and you probably lose the warrany I just mentioned, at least for the drive train). Then you would have the feeling of speed and the car would be even faster than before! Best of both worlds.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:36 PM
iboost

Default My .02

Pushing the pedal down in any gear results in GRADUAL, "LINEAR acceleration". There's no sudden sense of URGENCY or the RUSH you get when you do the same thing in another sports car, unless of course you FLOOR IT and let the tach hit 4000+ RPMs, and even THEN it doesn't give a tremendous boost. It seems like I'm the only one who notices this "tiny detail", but I'm wondering how the majority of you can be so happy with your Zs that you overlook this crucial aspect of the drive, or are simply ACCEPTING it...
Well, I agree with you. The Z doesn't "feel" awfully fast (to me) although the speedometer tells a whole different story. Having come from a turbo car, I can tell you that I miss that feeling of being thrown into your seat all to much. No problem though. I keep reading promising things about some FI kits coming out that should correct that.

But seriously, if you plan on purchasing a Z, keeping it close to stock and this "crucial aspect of the drive" is bothering you, then the Z is not for you. As most people pointed out, it could be that you perhaps aren't accustomed to the Z's drive by wire throttle in your 3 test drives. Perhaps the Z's suspension is tuned 'just right' so it negates much of the feeling of being pushed back into your seat. Perhaps its something else... I honestly don't know.

I'm not here to sway you into purchasing a Z or not... obviously that's your choice. But the fact remains that if you are seriously considering purchasing this car and keeping it mostly stock or doing minor upgrades, then you may not get that feeling that you've missed on your 3 test drives.

As for me, I've accepted that missing feeling. That "rush" feeling isn't as pronounced as my other car, but the Z hangs with it just fine (in terms of acceleration), out-corners it, out brakes it and is much sexier. On the few times I've ran my Z against others, well... I didn't miss "that feeling" very much because I was too busy enjoying the competition's car in my rear-view mirrors.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

-iboost

PS: If you want that rush, I hear the Neon SRT-4 might be something to look into... and with a sticker price of $20k, you can save some serious dough. Only downfall, of course, is that its still a Neon...

The other option would be having me sell you you my other car. Good "rush" feeling and massive torque-steer to boot!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:26 PM
slay2k

Default wow..

Finally some really thought-provoking responses...

Thanks much to all 3 of you guys who posted since my last reply. I found the information provided very informative.

Good to see that there are Z owners who are modest, and capable of seeing how an outsider like myself could see something "missing" from the ride.

You're right - the car is new, it's damn sexy, its fast, and at $30k its almost a steal. By the same token, however, I think I want to be able to drive through rush-hour traffic and feel a certain amount of boost even when I don't depress the gas pedal too much.

Of course, I could learn to live with this different way of driving, but the question I'll have to answer is would I want to ? Hmmm.... something to think about.

Thanks again for the responses, they are greatly appreciated and helpful.

-slay
Old 12-19-2002, 02:52 AM
TCL

I owned a 99 M3 coupe (manual trans) for a year and a half. To me the cars feel very comparable in acceleration in most RPM ranges. The Z actually felt a bit faster than the M3 when I did my first full throttle acceleration in second gear (approx 30mph to 60mph) after the break in period. Just passing this on as another data point.

I never applied the accelerator aggressively during the break in period, so I can't draw any comparisons on a Z that only a few miles on it.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:36 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When I've taken my old 300ZX Turbo on an AutoX or road course (Virginia International Raceway) - the sudden "rush" of the turbo proved to be a liability. When you're pushing your car hard into a turn you don't want a sudden surge of power - you've got to be smooth and even - otherwise you'll disrupt the balance of the car and likely oversteer.

Last month I took my Z out to Limerock Park for a NASA "High Performance Driving Experience" I found that the the linear power delivery of the 350Z makes the car much easier to drive faster - the power comes on strong - but it's also very smooth - the car remains balanced, even though you're moving *very* quickly- The car remains flat, neutral, and under control, even when you're heavy on the gas. "Smooth" is defintely the key word here - if you're planning on doing serious track driving, you'll appreciate it.

-Ethan

Last edited by ethan84ae; 12-19-2002 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:06 AM
BigBadBuford

When I was doing my break-in, the Z did feel a little weak sometimes when I wasn't getting on it at all. Now that I've been driving it for a while I've gotten used to driving it and I like it a lot. If you roll into the throttle at 2500 or 3000 rpm it will have enough power to put you back and nailing it at 4000+ is great. Plus, as others have said, the linear power is great for racing, when you can gradually roll into the throttle coming out of a corner and you really have a lot of control.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:25 AM
hokie350

Originally posted by ares
Im a bit confused on why the bmw would "feel" faster, I assumed you were reffering to a turbo charged or Vtec car. BMWs have broad curves. so there is really no reason for them to "feel" faster as far as power surges go. maybe their throttle was more touchy without drive by wire, I donno. perhaps the sound louder and that can also give a person a feeling of speed.
Actually, I just sold my previous car, which was a 2.8L BMW Z3. Now in no way is that even close to an M3, but let me tell you, i stomped the pedal from a stop and you were pancaked to your chair. People told me it felt like a roller coaster, and we're talking a car with around 200HP. I haven't picked up my 350z yet, but my Z3 "felt" faster than almost any car I've been in, even though it wasn't necessarily. I liked the feel, but I'm dying for my 350z. Sometimes you have to pick what's more important to you, that's all.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:44 AM
wxtornado

Slay, why should it matter if other people "feel" the same thing you do when they step on the accelerator? If ten people agree with you, will you get the car knowing you haven't gone crazy? I don't understand your MO, and to me, the choice for you is painfully obvious - the Z is not for you and your shouldn't get it.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:52 AM
steve c

The S52 motor in the M3 you are comparing the 350 to was one of the best around town motors ever -- torque everywhere and silky smoothe inline 6 revs till redline.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:25 AM
slay2k

wxtornado - I suppose the ideal response I was looking for was "Yeah I felt that initially but later on..." or "Yeah I felt that too, but you have to do this..."

Heh.. in the worst case, even if nobody agrees with me, it'll make me more informed for an intelligent decision.

-slay
Old 12-19-2002, 09:01 AM
Alang

I came from a modified Z32 TT, and when I first got my 350, I was dissapointed in the acceleration. I was expecting that, given I was losing well over 100HP (z32 dynod at 340). However having said that, as the car get more miles on it (I have 4.5K), it is getting faster! Break-in was the hardest since the car really has more oompf over 4K rpms. It definatly took some re-training to truly floor it when I want to go, but its now second nature.

This morning I had to get ahead of some cars to make a turn, and hit the gas. The burst of acceleration was great. I am guessing that low milage cars are not performing at their potential. I have also heard rumors (un-confirmed, so take it as that) that the ECU doesn't run full potential for the first 2K miles.

What ever the reason, the car definatly feels faster then when I first got it. This is unusual since for me cars usually seem to get slower the longer I own them.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Z33Fan

Keep in mind, that the 350Z has what's called CVCTS, or in common terms, Continually Variable Camshaft Timing System. It works like VTEC, only instead of using a different set of cam lobes to change the valve structure, it continually adjusts valve timing and consequently adjusts power accordingly. I can't remember exactly how the Nissan CVCTS works, but many manufacturers are using it now on their cars. This factor alone will explain why the Z doesn't have the noticeable "kick" that even a VTEC motor has in the top end of the revs.

The torque curve is very linear, and takes some getting used to, but remember, anything applied in a straight line takes less forces than applying them to a curve. Less effort = more energy available for HP and Torque applied to the road...

Get the Z. Over time, you'll grow to enjoy the technology and performance that Nissan has put together into one of the most balanced, all-around performing cars I've ever driven.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:04 AM
steve c

It works like VTEC
Not really, VTEC changes the actual cam profile while valve timing simply changes the --- well --- you guessed it, valve timing.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:06 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for there to be a noticable change tho, you realize you have less down bottom, and more up top, this is true for vtec and turbo. yeah you feel the power come in when you stand on it.

but oppisite what has been said here, there is way more power down low with the even curve vs the peaky power. making it better for driving around....
Old 12-19-2002, 10:11 AM
Cintel7

slay2k,

Go drive a z32 TT and a supra TT, I assure you the Z32 will "feel" faster, but I also assure you will be seeing the supra TT taillights.

Wait until you test drive the S2000.. haha.. can't "feel" anything in that car but they are fast still, don't be surprise if you see its taillights also.

I suggest you should get an M3 E36 since it suite you better. Buy the E36 and be happy with it.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:25 AM
dc350z

Default slay2k....

Don't waste your time with the 350.
Go get something else, anything, that will make you happy. BYE!
Old 12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
vshin

Slay2k, you have been "contaminated" with experience from driving cars that were tuned more for daily drivers rather than enthusiasts (including BMW). What you describe as a fault with the new 350Z is actually one of its advantages. The car is so stable that it tricks your mind into thinking that it's driving slow. Rest assured that the 350Z is fast. Other posts have already mentioned the advantages of a linear throttle system so I won't repeat specifics here.

I sense that you are very concerned with the sensation of driving fast instead of actually driving fast. I would recommend that you look into roadsters like the BMW Z3, Miata, or wait for the 350Z convertible. Roadsters make you feel that you are going faster than you really are. That's why they are more 'fun" to drive. If you really like the "push-me-back-in-the-seat" experience, consider a turbocharged car like a chipped GTI 1.8T, or the Subaru WRX. The turbo lag and the accompanying boost will be something you might find attractive.

But whatever you decide, please refrain from subject lines that declare the 350Z to be "weak," which it clearly is not. If this sounds a bit rude, it is because I want to make myself very clear. So don't get insulted, just reflect on what was said earlier and try to understand why what you "feel" isn't necessarily what is right.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:57 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Here's the BIG difference between the Z and an M3. The gears in the M3 are so freakin' steep in order to make up for their severe lack of power. Hell, first gear wasn't even usable in my dad's 2002 M3 when he had it. (P.S. He hated that car--thought it was the biggest waste of money) And this one CLAIMED to have 333hp. I don't know if it was just the car itself or if that was the norm, but there's no way that car had that much power.

If you don't like the Z, don't get it. Simple as that.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:16 AM
navy-z

Default keep this in mind

We're all licensed to kill with a 1.5 ton device.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=14307
Old 12-19-2002, 12:40 PM
qirex

I thought that my Z felt "slow" too. Granted, once I broke it in and then started fdriving with VDC OFF I became respectful of its power and truly appreciated the effect that VDC has on the Z composure.

The Z is FAST.

Stomp the pedal and watch the cars dissapear in the rearview. It kinda reminds me of riding my hayabusa motorcycle. It was really smooth but could pull 190mph STOCk with 0-60 of 3.5 sec.

So If you still question the Z, go drive it with VDC off and STOMP the pedal.

then report back to me about how trhe Z is "weak"

Quick Reply: WHY is the 350z so damn WEAK ?