Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ran over a dog :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 PM
bobmanfoo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hit a dog before in my GS-R, it was a good sized stray dog that ran across a 5 lane highway, 2 lanes each way and a center lane, it was dark and there were no lights on the road, i was going about 45-50 when i slammed on the brakes, i hit the dog and it flew foward, did a couple of rolls, and stopped in front of me in the lane, i couldn't come to a complete stop in time so i tried not run over the dog with my tires and get it centered with my car, i heard a clunk when i went over it, probably hit my exhaust pipe. i pulled into the next gas station, and i saw hair and goo on the front lip of my car....gross, i pulled out and went back to check on the dog but couldn't find it. in the next two weeks, i scratched my rim for the first time, then someone backed up into my taillight and busted it, then my car got stolen, all in two weeks when i had NO problems at all in the two years i owned it, no flats, no dings, didn't get keyed, no mishaps of any kind. i felt really bad as i am a dog lover
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmanfoo
i hit a dog before in my GS-R, it was a good sized stray dog that ran across a 5 lane highway, 2 lanes each way and a center lane, it was dark and there were no lights on the road, i was going about 45-50 when i slammed on the brakes, i hit the dog and it flew foward, did a couple of rolls, and stopped in front of me in the lane, i couldn't come to a complete stop in time so i tried not run over the dog with my tires and get it centered with my car, i heard a clunk when i went over it, probably hit my exhaust pipe. i pulled into the next gas station, and i saw hair and goo on the front lip of my car....gross, i pulled out and went back to check on the dog but couldn't find it. in the next two weeks, i scratched my rim for the first time, then someone backed up into my taillight and busted it, then my car got stolen, all in two weeks when i had NO problems at all in the two years i owned it, no flats, no dings, didn't get keyed, no mishaps of any kind. i felt really bad as i am a dog lover
Little did you know, that dog crawled away slowly, and is now hunting you down. You better run if you see him following you on a lonely street.
Attached Thumbnails Ran over a dog   :(-uglydog.jpg  
Old 09-20-2005, 01:02 PM
CLETUS

Originally Posted by Burrito06
Yup, and the funniest part is when you're driving the car around and you're at a stop light you see everyone looking aound and blaming eachother for farting. HAHA!

i hope you're stoned......

reading this reminds me of soooo many stories....here's a few in no order

1.my old friend jeremy was pimpin' one day in his 97 prelude vtec just lowered on 17's....one day after high school he ran over an already dead cat and had his arm hanging out the window at the same time. guts got squirted alll over the sid eof his car and arm.....

2. another high school friend of mine once ran over a squirell in her car, but didn't kill it. she immediately stopped and started crying in her car. she looked in the rear view and saw the squirell and decided she had to put it out of its misery......she told me she had a hard time running it over with her car agian and couldn't stop crying the whole time. i just laugh when i think of her in her car going back and forth.............

3. my friend ken once ran over a squirell, and killed it with...............a golf cart. and he was drunk
Old 09-20-2005, 02:01 PM
ShermanA

I was driving on this two-lane long sweeping on-ramp merging from one highway to another doing about 140kph (that's about 87mph). I'm about halfway through when I see the biggest racoon about to cross my path. I twitched the wheel to avoid it then realized that if I did I was going to hit the cement guardrails, so I twitched back to try to go over it without running it over with my wheels. Wrong! I hit it square in the head with the lower part of my front bumper beneath the grill. I could hear and feel the racoon tumbling under the car. So, gross.

I felt really bad at the time. I must admit that I felt even worse when I got the $2,700 ($2,300 USD) repair estimate. I need a new front bumper, fibreglass radiator mount (split in 2), a couple of underbody trays, new front spoiler, clear bra, etc.

What an experience.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:05 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by ShermanA
I was driving on this two-lane long sweeping on-ramp merging from one highway to another doing about 140kph (that's about 87mph). I'm about halfway through when I see the biggest racoon about to cross my path. I twitched the wheel to avoid it then realized that if I did I was going to hit the cement guardrails, so I twitched back to try to go over it without running it over with my wheels. Wrong! I hit it square in the head with the lower part of my front bumper beneath the grill. I could hear and feel the racoon tumbling under the car. So, gross.

I felt really bad at the time. I must admit that I felt even worse when I got the $2,700 ($2,300 USD) repair estimate. I need a new front bumper, fibreglass radiator mount (split in 2), a couple of underbody trays, new front spoiler, clear bra, etc.

What an experience.
Dang! I would of been pi$$ed! You should stopped and set that little ba$tard on fire afterwards. Too much damage.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:09 PM
mchong75

Originally Posted by vo7848
Little did you know, that dog crawled away slowly, and is now hunting you down. You better run if you see him following you on a lonely street.
V I S I C I O U S looking dog. Looks like the dog from the Resident Evil movie.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TK2005
The dog is dead for sure. I have seen plenty of dogs get hit. I know the yap all too well. They will yap for a while then make their way over to the side of the road and lay down for their last nap. An impact of 35 mph, even if you didn't see any external damage, caused enough internal damage to kill him. It was an accident bro. Don't beat yourself up about it. If it makes you feel better, donate to some local animal shelter. I know they need the help. That is the only cause we donate to every year. We make donations of all sorts but to animals for sure. If it really bothers you, you can make a little cross or something and put it out there on the side of the road where the accident was. It happens man. Everything always happens for a reason.
+1
Old 09-20-2005, 04:12 PM
The Mike

I forgot one,... once an armadillo that I thought I was going to hit for sure actually jumped completely over my car. Pretty amazing jump.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 PM
05-Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran over a huge rock the other day, (think mini-basketball size) it shot out from underneath a truck and I had no time to react. I thought my bumper was done, my whole car seriously lifted off the ground. Nothing's wrong, yet.

Afterwords, I pulled over and made sure the rock was ok.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
taurran

I'd make that dog buy you a new front bumper.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM
invisible-z

I ran over a dog and beheaded it. It was really bad...

I was driving an M3 E36 at the time (in Hong Kong). I had four people in my car and I was accelerating down this road. It was dark with some street light peering through the trees. Anyhow, I was down about 300 meters so probably going about 80+ mph when I heard a really loud noice on right of my car. I heard the suspension bottom out, I was like, what the **** did I hit?

I continued home as I thought I hit a pothole or something.

A friend called me up later and said she saw the incident happen. She said I rolled over a dogs head =(. He said his head was almost half gone.

I felt so bad afterwards. I got home, got off to chekc the car. There was no blood or anything but there was a very big foul smell. I probably got something stuck but the engine;s heat burnt it away cause I was actually racing back home (before I foudn out that it was a dog).

That car was crashed 2 weeks afterwards. Althought it wasn;t a big accident... still...

Dog spelt reverse is God.

I love them.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:38 PM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LugZ
ya..same situation. Kinda. Neighbour's dog was barking so much so I took a bat and cranked it at its ribs. Like you said...the yelping. Never forget that moment. btw I'm a cat person. LOL!! Okay I'm a mudda fawker. yeah poor dog. But chances are..if it got up and limped away...he sucked it up and isn't hurt too too bad or else he wouldn't have got up. My neighbour's dog didn't get up. LOL!
LoL! I hate cats haha! But I hear parrots are cool!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:51 PM
chris's_03_350z

dogs suck....if a dog stays in the road ill take out my bat out of the hatch and personally get it off the road and if its small ill just run over it not to waste my time!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by mchong75
I know dogs are agile, but I simply can not understand why in the world you would have your dog sit on your lap while driving....especially with ur windows rolled down completely. (Yes, I've also seen guys do this before)
Or even better, dogs on a truck bed with the rear deck opened.

I see too many road kills (dogs) on streets and highways.
This reminded me of how stupid I was one day. I hate stupid people. LOL !!
I was 4 wheeling with my dog in the back. The tailgate was closed. It wasn't too tough of a road. I hit a pretty good ditch however. About a minute later I figured I better make sure my New Foundland was still in the back. WTF !!???? He was gone. Must have bounced right out of the bed. This was way before we started to rope dogs in by law. So, no one did.

Anyways, I stopped and got out of my Powerwagon and just stood there for a second or so. I started to walk back down the dirt road calling my dogs name. Coal, Here Coal (Black Dog). Here he comes running up the road waggin' his tail none the worse for wear. I check him completely. Not a scratch or piece of fur out of place.

I counted my blessings that day. I don't know what I would have done without my bud.

After a number of years of good companionship with old Coally Bear he feel asleep on the porch after 18 years of service for a long deserved rest.
Man, I miss him.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:07 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by mecinoid
This reminded me of how stupid I was one day. I hate stupid people. LOL !!
I was 4 wheeling with my dog in the back. The tailgate was closed. It wasn't too tough of a road. I hit a pretty good ditch however. About a minute later I figured I better make sure my New Foundland was still in the back. WTF !!???? He was gone. Must have bounced right out of the bed. This was way before we started to rope dogs in by law. So, no one did.

Anyways, I stopped and got out of my Powerwagon and just stood there for a second or so. I started to walk back down the dirt road calling my dogs name. Coal, Here Coal (Black Dog). Here he comes running up the road waggin' his tail none the worse for wear. I check him completely. Not a scratch or piece of fur out of place.

I counted my blessings that day. I don't know what I would have done without my bud.

After a number of years of good companionship with old Coally Bear he feel asleep on the porch after 18 years of service for a long deserved rest.
Man, I miss him.
At least you realized you made a mistake...hopefully that incident was the 1st and the last.
18 years...that's a very long time. I guess some people really don't understand the term of mans best friend.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:41 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mchong75
V I S I C I O U S looking dog. Looks like the dog from the Resident Evil movie.
he'd look alot more vicious if he wasn't trying to eat his own foot!
Old 09-21-2005, 04:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mchong-I think this could have been avoided. You drive a Z. And your saying you swerved to avoid hitting an Accord! They arent exactly up to par with the Z's brakes, so if this Accord did stop fast and you reacted quickly and you werent following to closely you should have easily been able to stop behind that car without you needing to swerve out of the way, especially at a measly 35mph.

BTW-I remember a few years ago Mercedez Benz conducted a study where they put normal people in their cars(not test drivers) and told them to get up to 60mph and stop as fast as they could. Almost 80% of the people didnt even stomp the brake hard enough for ABS to kick in. I believe this is what led them and Im sure other manufacturers to develop that brake assist-where the car can sense a panic stop and apply 100% braking force for you. Wonder if thats why you couldnt stop in time....

Anyways, sorry for getting off the topic, Im sorry about your situation, I hope I never expereince something like that, but it could have been much worse-coulda been more damage or you could have been hurt in trying to swerve out of the way. Hope it doesnt happen again.

Originally Posted by chris's_03_350z
dogs suck....if a dog stays in the road ill take out my bat out of the hatch and personally get it off the road and if its small ill just run over it not to waste my time!

Last edited by kcobean; 09-21-2005 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Name-calling removed.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:05 AM
Spooky

I hit a rabbit one time in my VW Scirocco. Ran out in front of me at night. It made a nasty thump as it went under the car. I looked in the rearview just in time to see a small cloud of hair in the headlights behind me. Poor wittle wabbit, I felt pretty bad.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:45 AM
EatMyZ

Originally Posted by BigMike
Yesterday a friend of mine called me. Some stupid phucking redneck threw a puppy out of the window of his, you guess it, pick up truck. It bounced off of her car. She took it to a vet and nothing was broken. Some people just need the living **** beat out of them.
Horrific, I'd have no problems going to jail over killing that ****er.... absolutely none....
Old 09-21-2005, 07:02 AM
mchong75

Originally Posted by Alberto
mchong-I think this could have been avoided. You drive a Z. And your saying you swerved to avoid hitting an Accord! They arent exactly up to par with the Z's brakes, so if this Accord did stop fast and you reacted quickly and you werent following to closely you should have easily been able to stop behind that car without you needing to swerve out of the way, especially at a measly 35mph.

BTW-I remember a few years ago Mercedez Benz conducted a study where they put normal people in their cars(not test drivers) and told them to get up to 60mph and stop as fast as they could. Almost 80% of the people didnt even stomp the brake hard enough for ABS to kick in. I believe this is what led them and Im sure other manufacturers to develop that brake assist-where the car can sense a panic stop and apply 100% braking force for you. Wonder if thats why you couldnt stop in time....

Anyways, sorry for getting off the topic, Im sorry about your situation, I hope I never expereince something like that, but it could have been much worse-coulda been more damage or you could have been hurt in trying to swerve out of the way. Hope it doesnt happen again.
I may could have avoided the rear end collosion. I'm a risk taker, but I'm not going to take chances testing out how good my ABS works when I have two other lanes to switch over to. Speed of 35MPH is faster than you may think.

Quick Reply: Ran over a dog :(