Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Work with me here....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 12:01 AM
goofyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I call it right. it makes more sense to follow the rules for our long term gain then to go off and do something just cause you can. For all those too thick headed to understand that......OFF WITH YOUR HEADS!
Old 06-28-2002, 12:43 AM
tbcz

exsilio,

I really believe Jay's main concern is the future of the site. He has hinted at enough info and we're close enough to the final numbers that the only thing he would accomplish by spilling the beans would be to **** off Nissan. And I agree with him that this would be a bad thing. If we form a relationship with Nissan, we won't necessarily always be on the outside, waiting for info.

If you need info and it's out there, there are plenty of ways to get it without resorting to public posting. I can understand Jay not jeopardizing the benefits of a relationship with Nissan over a few pounds and a few tenths of a second.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:46 AM
nizl

Originally posted by Serenidad
Jmanz its not in your place to be police and to enforce censorship, This is Federal LAw! It has been ruled many times. Internet content providers are NOT liable for the information transfers, access, distribution etc. of its members. You are merely a host, acting in such manner as an ISP. In case you didnt know.
JmanZ, although I wouldn't take it so far as to say I feel my Constitutional rights have been violated (this is, after all, a "private" club), I do agree w/ Serenidad and exsilio.

I think you're taking the moderating a bit to far, to the point of killing much of the interest of an enthusiast site: inside tips.

While you have agreed to honor the embargo by not revealing information you have received personally, this only applies to those lines of communication. So, if you told me, then I posted it, you should remove that.

BUT, if I find this out of my own accord, then you have no responsibility to censor it. If you want to, fine, but realize you're under no obligation to do so, and at that point do risk being seen as a corporate mouthpiece.

Even C&D, R&T, etc, release "spy shots" of new cars and don't get in trouble, because it's all heresay until you hear it officially.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:49 AM
mdouvris

Default Shilling for Nissan???

Say it aint so Jmanz! I live for the stuff posted that the corporation does not want us to see! This is not the nissan site and the last time I checked, they do not pay you to keep it going. If it wasnt for Scaf's pix, I am not sure this sight would have been as much fun. It's the wild west element that I enjoy as well as the commentary. Jmanz I totally respect your dedication, professionalism and mostly your hard work. I just think you should leave the censorship to John Ashcroft. (He's really good at it!)
Old 06-28-2002, 12:51 AM
nizl

Originally posted by tbcz
I really believe Jay's main concern is the future of the site. He has hinted at enough info and we're close enough to the final numbers that the only thing he would accomplish by spilling the beans would be to **** off Nissan.
Yeah, but the moderating's getting a little intrusive. Heck, Serenidad's post was already removed, and it was hardly inflammatory. Maybe it represented a strong counteropinion, but if one runs a website, you're gonna get negative feedback. I know, I've run many.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:53 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, to be honest, right now I don't really care if I know the numbers. We'll all know them soon enough and we'll all have the car soon too. I agree with Excilio however. This site (up until now) was basically a "free-for-all" of information. To change it now seems hypocritical. Jay, I completely understand why you are doing what you are doing, but as Ex said, this isn't (and I hope it never does become) an "official" Nissan site. Also, aren't we all being a little self important here? Do you really think that Nissan pays us THAT much attention? We are about a thousand people. Nissan is marketing to MILLIONS. We are really small potatoes in the overall big picture here. I don't think Nissan would give a rats *** if you posted numbers here to be honest. Again, I see your position, and I respect it. I just don't agree with it.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:00 AM
wooglin

finally-
After yesterday's excitement, today has been a let down...until now!

I mean really...Jay, tell us, don't tell us, remove posts, do whatever you want. People can go back to zcar- where 12 year olds are still bashing each other. We'll all find out in a week anyway. This is hilarious.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:00 AM
tbcz

Hey JMANZ thanks for removing my post. Seems it was to well written for a reprisal from you. Others have read it, and so have you.
BTW...I removed your post...not Jay.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:01 AM
wooglin

ha...go tbcz..this is getting better. I'm gonna go grab a beer.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:03 AM
nizl

Originally posted by wooglin
People can go back to zcar- where 12 year olds are still bashing each other.
zcar.com may suck in a lot of ways, but they won't remove posts that contain sensitive information. That is a big deal to some people, like myself.

If you go to zcar.com and scroll about halfway down you can read the whole C&D article.

Again, I understand JmanZ's concerns. But it has crossed a line of late.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:06 AM
wooglin

if we all respect Jay and understand...then let him do what he has to do. If you can read the article on zcar...then do it. You're happy, Jay's happy, everyone's happy.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:14 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a fine point of view for a sheep. You can be led by dictatorship, and obvisouly have no independant thougth of your own.

The purposes here are nulled when informative posts are removed, I can see some things beiong removed, but its really gone to far here lately. Its blatant!
Serenidad-
The post that you re-posted was (in my opinion) not an informative one. Opinions are fine, but personal attacks are not. Thank you...
Old 06-28-2002, 01:15 AM
wooglin

Wow- thanks for that. To avoid a flame, I won't reply. Except to say that I would rather spend my time on this mostly 'polite' forum and get into discussions with adults- even if that means I might found out some inside stuff a few days later.

Oh yeah...that's if I don't sneak a peak at zcar now and again, which I'm sure I will.

Everyone needs to relax. Call me a sheep or a Jay *** kisser or whatever you want.

Sitck and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me Yep, beer's kicking in.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:15 AM
tbcz

Perhaps I did delete that post prematurely...I don't think so, but apparently some of you do. I will leave the repost up. I think we should let this sit until Jay throws his two cents in...I will stay out of it for now.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:18 AM
350zpower

i have to agree with exsilio, and others. I really love this site and appreciate what you are doing for everyone, but it seems ridiculous for a enthusiast site dedicated to the Z to hold back information from the masses. I thought the whole point of this site and others like it was to allow us all to pool our collective resources and get the real scoop, not sit here and talk about Nissans press embargo.

While I understand you want good long-term good "relations" with Nissan, you should not be afraid of pissing of Nissan off, because in the end we are their customers and they should be afraid of us not vice-versa.

I remember the good old days when you had the courage to put out information without thinking twice about the feelings of the "corp." It seems you are distincing yourself from your own community and becoming an "elite' who isnt willing to share knowledge with his own community. You have become a hostage of the Nissan media machine and its disappointing to see that happen.

I have hated the other Z boards because they get out of hand. But now I have to admit their freedom of expression while sometimes annoying also allows for a free exchange and flow of information, and outweighs the childish behaviour of many on the forums.

I dont know what kind of contracts you signed, etc.., etc.. , but for the long-term appeal of this site you should be more flexible in at least letting people post links to other sites. Even CNN.com has links to controversial militant sites, it doesnt mean they endorse them, but at least they let you check it out if you want.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:20 AM
azjimbo

Whatever side you take the reading of the posts is all great stuff.At least some people are showing some cajones.

Quick Reply: Work with me here....