Sponsored by:

350Z Navigation Option?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Apollyon_KiN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 350Z Navigation Option?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering why most of the 350Z's I see don't have the navigation option, I am implying the new ones on the lot. Is there something wrong with it, just too expensive, or just not a popular choice for the price? I live in Florida and maybe it's just not that common here, but out of 20 something new Nissan dealerships I could only find one 350Z with the navigation in it.

After looking at aftermarket navigation systems I see that it wouldn't be a problem to pick one up, but was just curious as to why none of the new ones seem to come with it.

Thanks in advance,
Apollyon
Old 09-26-2005, 06:18 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a better deal on an aftermarket navigation system that has dvd plyer/cd plyer/mp3 player/ touch screen, etc.

If you get the OEM navigation and you decide to install an after market stereo, you will los ethe OEM voice/speech direction feature since it uses the OEM bose stero to give you voice direction.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Apollyon_KiN

Nice, thank you for the response. Exactly what I wanted to hear.

-Apollyon
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 PM
usmanasif

Losing the Navi voice is no longer an issue. It can be maintained by adding a small dedicated speaker for <$50 and leaving it behind the dash or under driver's seat. No big deal.

I will certainly be getting the Nissan Navi with my Z and will install an aftermarket HU instead of the Bose. To me, the OEM navi looks so much nicer than anything else, it shouldn't be given up, if one can get it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Kanyon71

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Losing the Navi voice is no longer an issue. It can be maintained by adding a small dedicated speaker for <$50 and leaving it behind the dash or under driver's seat. No big deal.

I will certainly be getting the Nissan Navi with my Z and will install an aftermarket HU instead of the Bose. To me, the OEM navi looks so much nicer than anything else, it shouldn't be given up, if one can get it.
Has anyone tried a Carputer with the touch screen tucked into the factory Nav location? I don't have my Z yet so I can't take any measurements on how the screen would fit in. Also does the factory Bose have an Aux input for things like an iPod or something of that nature? If so then the voice and such from the Carputer can be fed into the factory system.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
ZlleH

I have an OEM navi, so thanks for the information, when I get a double din touch screen dvd player, I will get the installer to set the OEM navi with a small speaker hidden like you suggested.

But don't you think $2500CDN for a navi option that is only a navigation and not even touch screen is not worth it? He might as well put and after market navi that is touch screen where the OEM navi is and get a double din dvd display for where the stereo is for a 2 dvd screen bling factor

I am just telling the original poster that he can spend less money on an aftermarket navi that has more feature and install it where the OEM navi goes.

ANyhoo, since I have the OEM navi, I will be installing a double din eclipse avx 2404 dvdplayer where the bose stero goes. I want the bling factor. LOL
Check it out: http://www.eclipse-web.com/avx/index.html

and for the rich people: http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/index.html

Originally Posted by usmanasif

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-26-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:27 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by ZlleH
I have an OEM navi, so thanks for the information, when I get a double din touch screen dvd player, I will get the installer to set the OEM navi with a small speaker hidden like you suggested.

But don't you think $2500CDN for a navi option that is only a navigation and not even touch screen is not worth it? He might as well put and after market navi that is touch screen where the OEM navi is and get a double din dvd display for where the stereo is for a 2 dvd screen bling factor

I am just telling the original poster that he can spend less money on an aftermarket navi that has more feature and install it where the OEM navi goes.

ANyhoo, since I have the OEM navi, I will be installing a double din eclipse avx 2404 dvdplayer where the bose stero goes. I want the bling factor. LOL
Check it out: http://www.eclipse-web.com/avx/index.html

and for the rich people: http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/index.html

No problem about the Navi voice info. I saw a post on that in the A/V sub-forum a while back. I'll be using a tiny 4" speaker behind dash for my own set up when I get the Z and install an aftermarket HU.

I completely agree with you that something like the new Eclipse 5495 is a great choice for someone without OEM Navi as it does practically everything except make coffee! It's just that I am a total sucker for niceties like service reminders and other vehicle data the OEM navi offers. Plus, I don't want to have an empty dash cubby.

The Eclipse 2404 and 2494 are both great choices for 2-din DVD set ups. The bling factor is a whopper with either of those! I plan on getting a JDM-only Eclipse E5505CMT 2-din unit: http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/eclipse/audio/index.html . Hold the pointer over the 5505 and get ready to be enthralled!

Later on, if I want to add video capability to my Z, I will add an aftermarket adapter that hacks the Nissan Navi and allows it to accept an external DVD signal. Yup! That tech exists already. A simple plug-n-play harness with included firmware. A single-din DVD player can be added in the second storage unit behind the driver.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Apollyon_KiN

Thank you guys so much for all the responses. I was actually looking at getting the Eclipse AVN5495 if I couldn't find a 350z with navigation already installed. However, I am still a little unsure about what will happen to the Bose HU when I have the Eclipse installed. If they install it where the Bose is then I guess I wouldn't be confused, but if they place it where the oem navigation would come then would I have the Bose just sitting there inactive?

Thanks in advance,

Apollyon
Old 09-27-2005, 01:00 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Apollyon_KiN
Thank you guys so much for all the responses. I was actually looking at getting the Eclipse AVN5495 if I couldn't find a 350z with navigation already installed. However, I am still a little unsure about what will happen to the Bose HU when I have the Eclipse installed. If they install it where the Bose is then I guess I wouldn't be confused, but if they place it where the oem navigation would come then would I have the Bose just sitting there inactive?

Thanks in advance,

Apollyon
Yeah, your Bose would stay inactive. You could patch both to your speakers, but you wouldn't wanna do that. Completely unnecessary! Depending on your needs, you could probably get a pre-fabricated 2-din panel to cover up the hole left by the Bose. All 5495 installs I have seen so far have been in the 2-din opening. But keep in mind that keeping an expensive unit visible is a big incentive for thieves. If you most park indoors or in other safe areas, go for either install location. From all I have heard and read on the 5495, there is nothing better out there today.

Last edited by usmanasif; 09-27-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Relentless23

i just recently bought my Z and it has navi. It says "DVD" on it so can we play DVD movies in it?? I didn't want to mess with it til I was certain. thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 PM
ZlleH

No, you cannot play dvd movies on it. It just says DVD because it uses the DVD disc as the format to hold the map data.

Originally Posted by Relentless23
i just recently bought my Z and it has navi. It says "DVD" on it so can we play DVD movies in it?? I didn't want to mess with it til I was certain. thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 03:51 PM
jtekk

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Has anyone tried a Carputer with the touch screen tucked into the factory Nav location? I don't have my Z yet so I can't take any measurements on how the screen would fit in. Also does the factory Bose have an Aux input for things like an iPod or something of that nature? If so then the voice and such from the Carputer can be fed into the factory system.
i have a carputer on my 05 zr. the screen is mounted on my Nav location with the 03 cubby hole that i got. and yea its a easy fit for a farenheit 7001 but i bought the xenarc and there was a lil cutting but no biggie, and i dont think they have the aux input for ipod/etc.... not sure.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:31 PM
spacemn_spiff

For me, no Navi or leather in a pure sports car. I am not going to treat it like a tourer or a long distance vehicle. Its a fun performance sports car. And plus it adds weight.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Apollyon_KiN

Just about anything other than the navigation I could do without. I am probably the worst person in the world when it comes to directions, most of the time I can't even find my way back to somewhere I just came from. I'm fine for the most part when I'm in my hometown area, but when I have to go to Orlando or a bigger city atmosphere or get off on the wrong exit it's all over for me. The worst part is that it's not even a question of stopping and asking directions because I do right away and sometimes I have to stop more than once to enroute to the same place

For most people it's probably not a problem, but for me it is a MUST.

-Apollyon
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
ZlleH

When I got the OEM nav, I really didn't think I would use it that much, but man was I wrong. I was looking to buy another house recently and that navi is awsome. You punch in the street and it ask you what number is the house. and then it voice directs you to the street and even tells you that the house will be on your left or right!

When there is heavy traffic, I try to take side roads and the navi helps to show which road you should take to get to another major street instead of hitting a dead end or going in neighbourhood circles.

It is also a major help for finding shops for your car, It has reminders to tell you that your car has been driven this much so you need an oil change, etc.

And man is it ever a big help when I vist my friends in another city.

And, oh yeah. I'm not tracking this car so I don't car about the additional 22 pounds difference from the touring and track. Track is 3,225 pounds. Touring is 3,247 pounds. A whole 22 pounds! I talked to a friend that tracks his 350Z, they sometimes take on passenger as a way to get their tracking program popular, he says with the extra passenger, they tend to lose one tench of a second on their lap times. It's an awsome feeling when a girl gets in your car and sees the leather seats with heated seat and machined controlled seat movements. and when they see the navigation, they just love it. I can't wait to add the double din dvd player. I keep my car miticulously clean inside and out.

If you can afford it, and aren't thinking about being a track *****, get the leather seats and navi option.

Edit: and I forgot, it tells you where ATM machines are, resturants, hotels, major landmarks, buildings, etc. It's crazy how much you have in choices to display. There are many times where I look on the nave for where the closest ATM and gas station are.

Originally Posted by Apollyon_KiN
Just about anything other than the navigation I could do without. I am probably the worst person in the world when it comes to directions, most of the time I can't even find my way back to somewhere I just came from. I'm fine for the most part when I'm in my hometown area, but when I have to go to Orlando or a bigger city atmosphere or get off on the wrong exit it's all over for me. The worst part is that it's not even a question of stopping and asking directions because I do right away and sometimes I have to stop more than once to enroute to the same place

For most people it's probably not a problem, but for me it is a MUST.

-Apollyon

Last edited by ZlleH; 09-27-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by ZlleH
If you can afford it, and aren't thinking about being a track *****, get the leather seats and navi option.
+1