Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z crashes at a reported 100 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 07:51 AM
nicolaycastro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glogan
I'd bet you'd feel different if he took one of your family member on that crash wouldn't you? what I'm trying to say is that those mistakes should never happen.
True, I would even feel different if he killed some one else not related to him, but in this case I doo feel sorry he died.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:25 AM
NeoRacer_106

C,mon, you bought a very sexy, reasonably fast sports car..unless you only intend to drive it at a track..there will be times when your not racing..but you will gun it to say "pass" someone, whatever you want to call it...there will be exceptions of course, maybe your one..but I bet most of us have and will done some speeding to either out run someone else or just for fun, whether people are around or not..

Originally Posted by dcmidnight
Sorry, but I dont at all believe that everyone that buys the Z bought it to street race on a freeway with innocent people on it at speeds over 100mph. Or that everyone who bought a Z is completely unable to control their emotions on the road or control their desire to race every azzhole out there who wants to race.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:26 AM
dirtroad

was this the accident near oxnard on the 101?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:32 AM
NeoRacer_106

Depends how you guys define street racing..if your thinking of in terms of the import guys, in some back street somewhere lined up for a drag race..I dont think thats how it occurs 90% of the time.
I would say these events escalate out of nowhere, it can be with someone in another sports car or something else (mini vans unbelievably are the worst) that will provoke you to go faster..its not a race but you just wanna stay ahead of the other guy..caught up in the adrenaline and emotions (pride?) I''ve seen it from high priced beemers, Porches, S2000 & Z's down to Hondas and mini vans
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just goes to Show that 1.7 Tons traveling at 100mph+ = 1 hell of a lot of energy.

I have seen fatal crashes at 40mph, 100+ gives you less than a 10% chance of all involved parties surviving.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
lane myers

was it a coupe or roadster, looked like the roadster, which in that case i think the potential for fatal injury is greater.

i'm sorry the guy the passed way, though it was by his on actions, i dont wish death on anyone for street racing.

the fact that no one else was injured could be a hint that at least these people (the z and bmw) were safe enough to keep their racing out of the reach of other cars. one member mentioned he thought the z might have lost control trying to miss traffic, could be, but there is evidence to support that, at least not presented in this thread. i think the fact the z slid across 3 lanes during the crash and didnt harm anyone is a pretty good indication of racing in the clear with no other cars around.

i'm not saying that 100mph is acceptable on public roads by any means, especially in non-clear conditions, but i think it is fair and honest to say that there are a great amount of performance car owners (not just z's) that hit 100 on the highway regularly. late at night, whether racing, speeding, or just enjoying their baby alone, it happens, and will continue to.

if you dont like, sadly, there is not a whole lot you can do about other than be aware of the situation around you, and warn your loved ones to do the same. if you see aggressive driving, slow down and distance yourself, constantly look in your rear view for potential danger from other automobiles. i realize there are situations you might not be able to avoid, but you have to give yourself the best chance possible.

i'm sorry to hear of more bad news on this forum this week.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by lane myers
was it a coupe or roadster, looked like the roadster, which in that case i think the potential for fatal injury is greater.

i'm sorry the guy the passed way, though it was by his on actions, i dont wish death on anyone for street racing.

the fact that no one else was injured could be a hint that at least these people (the z and bmw) were safe enough to keep their racing out of the reach of other cars. one member mentioned he thought the z might have lost control trying to miss traffic, could be, but there is evidence to support that, at least not presented in this thread. i think the fact the z slid across 3 lanes during the crash and didnt harm anyone is a pretty good indication of racing in the clear with no other cars around.

i'm not saying that 100mph is acceptable on public roads by any means, especially in non-clear conditions, but i think it is fair and honest to say that there are a great amount of performance car owners (not just z's) that hit 100 on the highway regularly. late at night, whether racing, speeding, or just enjoying their baby alone, it happens, and will continue to.

if you dont like, sadly, there is not a whole lot you can do about other than be aware of the situation around you, and warn your loved ones to do the same. if you see aggressive driving, slow down and distance yourself, constantly look in your rear view for potential danger from other automobiles. i realize there are situations you might not be able to avoid, but you have to give yourself the best chance possible.

i'm sorry to hear of more bad news on this forum this week.
Believe it or not that was a coupe. You can see the rear quarter window in one of the pics. They probably had to cut some of the roof off to get the driver out of the car.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 AM
lane myers

jesus, you're right, i see the rear quarter.

that just sucks.

rip.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
mavtais

That's why street racing is illegal: it kills.
too bad.
(Sorry my post sucks)
Old 09-28-2005, 09:24 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just occured to me: Do the Zs have the so-called "black box" or VDR (Vehicle Data Recorder) as many cars do these days, recording the last 5 sec worth of car data (speed, acceleration, brake usage, etc)?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Ztalker

I was watching SPEED channel on cable the other day and I saw this guy doing 212MPH with his ruf 911 in the Autobahn at night. It scared the crab out of me just watching it on TV.
Like the man said on TV ......" Racing on the street is like kissing your sister, IT ain't RIGHT."
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by mavtais
That's why street racing is illegal: it kills.
too bad.
(Sorry my post sucks)
Yeah, but it still kills far less than drunk driving, fatigue, and just plain idiotic driving...
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Diesel350

I wonder what happened to the guy in the Bimmer that was racing him? He should be charged with Manslaughter.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Kanyon71

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I wonder what happened to the guy in the Bimmer that was racing him? He should be charged with Manslaughter.
Why because someone lost control of their car while racing? If anything he could/should be charged with reckless endangerment. I think people REALLY should take highspeed driving classes and learn what it takes to drive fast and safely. There is a HUGE difference between turning a wheel at 60 MPH then there is at 100 +. I fell for the poor guys family I really do, I really wish that more people would take classes to learn the techniques of highspeed driving.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Generally, I try to be a "positive paul" in my posting here. The one exception is when I see some of the younger guys on here showing more testosterone than brains when driving their Zzzzs.

This thread is Exhibit A to my concern.

Man, you just gotta pick your spots when getting it on.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
NeoRacer_106

Happens in broad daylight, any time of day that I've seen. Welcome to Seattle

"but i think it is fair and honest to say that there are a great amount of performance car owners (not just z's) that hit 100 on the highway regularly. late at night, whether racing, speeding, or just enjoying their baby alone, it happens, and will continue to. "
Old 09-28-2005, 09:53 AM
jamnew

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Generally, I try to be a "positive paul" in my posting here. The one exception is when I see some of the younger guys on here showing more testosterone than brains when driving their Zzzzs.

This thread is Exhibit A to my concern.

Man, you just gotta pick your spots when getting it on.
+10 When did the Z become a drag racer?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:35 AM
undRgrNd350z

rip to the guy. makes me wanna build a roll cage.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Kanyon71
Why because someone lost control of their car while racing? If anything he could/should be charged with reckless endangerment. I think people REALLY should take highspeed driving classes and learn what it takes to drive fast and safely. There is a HUGE difference between turning a wheel at 60 MPH then there is at 100 +. I fell for the poor guys family I really do, I really wish that more people would take classes to learn the techniques of highspeed driving.
It's the law. If you are racing against someone and they die, they can go after you and charge you with Manslaughter.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:51 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats crazy man, never seen a crash that bad. Just curious anybody know how he lost control? What was the story behind the accident? Besides racing a bmw.

Quick Reply: 350z crashes at a reported 100 MPH