Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Z Has Been Wounded!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Zay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z Has Been Wounded!!!

On my way home from work Monday night (12/16) something came out of nowhere and slammed into the hood of my car! It sounded like someone was hitting my car with baseball bat!

I was just going through the motions of my daily 15 minute commute from work. The traffic was a bit slower than normal (holiday shopping maybe) so, I was moving with the slow flow of traffic. When the traffic finally broke loose I was a mile or so from my exit so I began my approach sequence to exit the highway. Just as I signaled to switch lanes it hit me! BAMM, BAMM!!! And in a split second I saw something white fly by the drivers-side windshield. At the time I had no idea what it was. It was dark when I left work so I didn’t have any daylight to help aid my visibility. Anyway, after it hit me all I kept saying was, “What the F#ck was that?” (as if someone was going to answer me). In an absolute daze I managed to still make my exit off that dreadful highway. I pulled into a nearby grocery store parking lot to survey the damage (all the while keeping my fingers crossed hoping for the best). When I saw the damage I nearly passed out! There were two Big A$$ dents (one of which cracked the paint and clear-coat) and one substantial scrape on the hood of the Z! Needless to say, I was not feeling very well at this point.

To make a long story short, that evening I contacted my insurance company and the next day I went around town getting quotes for the repair. The shop that is doing the work is going to replace the hood (others wanted to just pull the dents) and blend the fenders and front fascia. The total cost of repair is $1159. My deductible is $250 which leaves the insurance to pay the balance of $909. When it’s fixed I will post pictures. But, for now take a look for yourself…
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-537.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 05:42 AM
Zay

Another
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-541.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 05:44 AM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my freakin' god...that is horrible! I'm so sorry! I hope you get everything fixed. I know exactly how you feel - the SAME thing happened to me, but it was with a rock. My damage - 1012 and it's SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than yours. Good luck with everything,
-Jill
Old 12-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Zay

Finally
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-542.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Zay

Originally posted by ZGiRL
Oh my freakin' god...that is horrible! I'm so sorry! I hope you get everything fixed. I know exactly how you feel - the SAME thing happened to me, but it was with a rock. My damage - 1012 and it's SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than yours. Good luck with everything,
-Jill
Thaks Jill. I taking it to the shop today. So all will be well in my world again.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:58 AM
ddtreadway

That is scary. Did you ever find out what it was? Could it have been someone tossing something off of an overpass? Or was it just something thrown up by another car?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:00 AM
jrreed350togo

Unhappy

Sorry to hear this Zay. Those are pretty big dents. It's looks like it was definatly something heavy. Large rock maybe. What's odd is that it made 2 dents very close to each other. Is there any such thing as a peanut shaped rock? I'm sure you'll get it back as good as new.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:21 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW. Since you heard 2 "BAMs" I wonder if someone threw something at you. Like two kids with two rocks?

Maybe it was a Boxter or Stook owner?

Luckily it was all confined to the hood and you can just get a new one. If it would have been on the border of the hood and fender or if it would have got the headlight, it would have been a lot worse ($ that is).
Old 12-21-2002, 08:10 AM
Zay

Originally posted by ddtreadway
That is scary. Did you ever find out what it was? Could it have been someone tossing something off of an overpass? Or was it just something thrown up by another car?
Well now that it's been almost a week and i've had time to replay the incident over in my head I think I know what it was. Here in Texas instead of the reflector strips they have these round disks as lane dividers that are either had plastic or concrete (not sure what they are made of). They are about 4" in diameter, there are also ones that are used for boundaries for exit ramps these are about 6" in diameter. I think a car may have kicked one up on of the larger ones.

Here are a few pics of what i'm talking about. I just ran outside my house and snapped these pics! This is a pic of one of the smaller lane dividers.
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-small.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Zay

This is a pic of one of the lareger ones. The pic may not give an accurate reference of the size but, this bad boy is about 6" in diameter!
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-large.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 08:14 AM
Zay

Finally here's a pic of a broken one that may have hit someone elses car!
Attached Thumbnails My Z Has Been Wounded!!!-broken1.jpg  
Old 12-21-2002, 08:21 AM
importriders

Man that sucks. Looks like you got it right on with what hit you. I bet if get one of those reflectors and stick it in the dents it would be a perfect fit.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Toronto350Z

It's time to call Mulder and Scully....

Sorry to hear what's happended...
Old 12-21-2002, 09:15 AM
wxtornado

Hmmm, coulda been a meteorite or blue ice perhaps!
Old 12-21-2002, 10:13 AM
synergytheory

Luckily it didn't hit your windscreen, with a dent like that it probably would have smashed your screen, and it looks like it would have lined up right with the drivers side.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Zay

Originally posted by synergytheory
Luckily it didn't hit your windscreen, with a dent like that it probably would have smashed your screen, and it looks like it would have lined up right with the drivers side.
Absolutely! When I caught the quick view of it flying by, it was no more than an inch from the windshield.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one for the books: I was run over by a deer!

Several years ago on my way to work I was passing by a local park with a bike path that ran under the highway. Apparently a deer got "lost" & wondered onto the shoulder of the road. Then he decided to cross. With heavy commute traffic I did not see him.

All of a sudden there is this large brown object flashing in front of my windshield from passenger side of the car to drivers side. The deer tried to leap my car and got caught by the windshield. I distinctly remember this large brown eye looking down at me as he went across the car. Guess he was not hurt too bad because when I got out of the car the deer was long gone.

Damage to the car was a dented passenger side fender, hood, & windshield. Not to mention the damage to my psyche!

At the time I was sufficiently shook up that I called the state cops & reported it because I wasn't sure what I hit...or got hit by.

Somewhere in the hinter lands of Sacramento there is a deer telling how he did in a human! LOL.

For those of you familar with Sacto. this occured on Sunrise
just south of Fair Oaks Blvd where Sunrise passes by Sunrise Park & the bike trail.
Old 12-21-2002, 11:58 AM
DaKine-Z-

Default damn...

I tell you what, TIMES ARE HARD when it's a battle and struggle just trying to keep your new car safe from all the bull$hit road construction, holiday idiot drivers and BIG a$$ dump trucks with huge rocks tumbling down 6-35 going around 70mph. With all this crap on the highways in Big-D, I have been reluctant to even drive my Z around lately and just end up taking my beater......Sorry to here about that Jose and glad that everything worked out! We all need to hook back up again and shoot the $hit, like old times ..........RICKY
Old 12-21-2002, 02:15 PM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry to hear about incident Jose!

My condolences Jose. Hope your repair goes well and you are satisfied with the work. Then again, this could be your opportunity to be the first guy on this forum to own a 350 with a CF hood....... j/k! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2002, 02:22 PM
Zay

Default Re: damn...

Originally posted by DaKine-Z-
I tell you what, TIMES ARE HARD when it's a battle and struggle just trying to keep your new car safe from all the bull$hit road construction, holiday idiot drivers and BIG a$$ dump trucks with huge rocks tumbling down 6-35 going around 70mph. With all this crap on the highways in Big-D, I have been reluctant to even drive my Z around lately and just end up taking my beater......Sorry to here about that Jose and glad that everything worked out! We all need to hook back up again and shoot the $hit, like old times ..........RICKY
Word!!!