2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Cutting extra key

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:17 AM
Carlos B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Cutting extra key

Hi

I bought a used 2003 Touring 350Z in March 2005 in Georgia. I love the car.
Thing is, the used car dealer (non-Nissan) only had 1 key. So after the
sale was finalized, I went to my local Nissan dealership for another key.
They traced the Key Code to the VIN and proceeded to cut a 2nd key for me.

The new key didnt work.

I called the original Nissan dealership (in Louisana) that sold the car as new and they confirmed the same exact Key Code.

So, now I have a Nissan OEM Key Blank and no 2nd key.
My local Nissan dealership didnt offer any solutions other than having to
rekey everything in the car: ignition, driver side door, etc $$$

I don't have much condifence that the local Nissan dealership did everything they could to resolve the issue.

Has anyone run into this and how did you get this taken care of?

Carlos
Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 AM
need Z

I'm assuming they attempted to program the key?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:47 AM
GreenE69s

If you have an existing key then they don't need to trace any type of code. Bring your old key (current key) to the dealer and they can cut a new copy from the old one.

What i suspect is that they didn't chip/program the key correctly. The 350Z keys have a chip in it that need to be programmed after it's been cut. It's a security feature. You need to have all your keys re-programmed everytime you get a new key cut because the old codes won't work anymore (all keys must be programmed at the same time.)

It tells you about this in the manual.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:35 AM
AZZGUY

Default new key

Originally Posted by GreenE69s
If you have an existing key then they don't need to trace any type of code. Bring your old key (current key) to the dealer and they can cut a new copy from the old one.

What i suspect is that they didn't chip/program the key correctly. The 350Z keys have a chip in it that need to be programmed after it's been cut. It's a security feature. You need to have all your keys re-programmed everytime you get a new key cut because the old codes won't work anymore (all keys must be programmed at the same time.)

It tells you about this in the manual.
Yes, I read about how they do it . It takes quite a while and I understand a new key is about $200.00 (that may include the holder )
Sounds like the Nissan dealer you went to didnt know much about 350Z keys.
When you buy a 350Z new you receive a small metal tag with 5 numbers engraved on it. The key can be programmed ( or ordered ) from these number.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:30 PM
AZZGUY

I called the original Nissan dealership (in Louisana) that sold the car as new and they confirmed the same exact Key Code.

Was he gurgling when you talked with him??
Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
tnkrstoyco

I had 2 new keys made for my new 35th, they did a fine job programing them. You do have to have all the keys there when they do it. Didn't need them just wanted them for extras just in case. Cost $50 each to do.
The dealership should know how to do them.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do NOT spend money paying the dealer to program your car to recognize the new key....Use this procedure to do it yourself!

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...ntry_Instr.gif

Eh....sorry, I forgot that this is for the key-fob, not the key.....

Let me see if I can find the key reprogramming steps for you....
Old 10-03-2005, 04:34 PM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All the keys need to be present. I understand when you say they cut the key using the VIN. Dealers look up the VIN to find a matching key code and use the key code to "cut" the new key. They dont use the traditional auto drilling machine we are use too. They use a hand held device that punches the key using each digit of the key code which represent a groove on the key.

The dealer should be able to match your existing key to a new key without using the key code by simply writting down each digit while the hand held machine runs through the existing key grooves. I just think that dealer is very lazy and sucks in customer service!

Be forceful and good luck!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:43 PM
AZZGUY

Default keys

Originally Posted by ecorona6
All the keys need to be present. I understand when you say they cut the key using the VIN. Dealers look up the VIN to find a matching key code and use the key code to "cut" the new key. They dont use the traditional auto drilling machine we are use too. They use a hand held device that punches the key using each digit of the key code which represent a groove on the key.

The dealer should be able to match your existing key to a new key without using the key code by simply writting down each digit while the hand held machine runs through the existing key grooves. I just think that dealer is very lazy and sucks in customer service!

What have you been smoking? There's a chip in those keys!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:01 PM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by AZZGUY
What have you been smoking? There's a chip in those keys!
I know keys have chips ...thats a given! And the dealer must be plain idiots if they didnt program it! My solution was to have them re-cut a new key since the first one didnt work. The bad key may have not made contact with the correct sensors when programming due to bad grooves. It is very easy to miss caculate a key number when punching a key.

I speak from experience, I had three keys made before one finally worked (rookie wasnt cutting them right).

If you paid for the programming and didnt work the labor should not have been charged....if they did make them do it again.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Carlos B

Originally Posted by ecorona6

Yeah that was the wierd thing. I asked the Nissan Dealership Key Cutter-guy, "hey dont you need my original key (from my key chain) to be next to the blank while you do this?" He said no. He said that he would be able to cut the new key from the code directly.

After the failed attempt at the new key, I called the Louisiana Nissan Dealer and double-verified the key-code. The Louisiana Tech asked me as to how the Georgia Nissan Dealer had done the key cut and said that there was no way he could have cut the key successfully without having the master (my only key) physically with the blank.

The Georgia Nissan dealer didnt want to try again because he ended up giving me another blank.

The bad key was physically different from the original.

Carlos B
Old 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
ecorona6

Originally Posted by Carlos B
Yeah that was the wierd thing. I asked the Nissan Dealership Key Cutter-guy, "hey dont you need my original key (from my key chain) to be next to the blank while you do this?" He said no. He said that he would be able to cut the new key from the code directly.

After the failed attempt at the new key, I called the Louisiana Nissan Dealer and double-verified the key-code. The Louisiana Tech asked me as to how the Georgia Nissan Dealer had done the key cut and said that there was no way he could have cut the key successfully without having the master (my only key) physically with the blank.

The Georgia Nissan dealer didnt want to try again because he ended up giving me another blank.

The bad key was physically different from the original.

Carlos B
You should drive to another dealership. I dont know about Georgia, but in Los Angeles there's a Nissan dealer no further than 10 miles in any direction. Any dealership will cut you a key and program it.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 AM
boma

Get them to remake the key for you.

Speaking of Georgia-Lousiana.

I bought my Z from Lake Charles Lousiana, which after I traced it's history, it was sold in Atlanta Georgia.

The funny thing is that I only got one key too? Coincidence?

Anyways I took my key to the dealer and had them make a copy which worked for $80.

Worked fine and yes they used my original key to make the copy. Make them remake it for you.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:28 PM
AZZGUY

I'm sure they can make it without the key also. If you were 1000 miles from home- lost the only key you had with you - would you have your car towed home to get your other key? I dont think so. They would likely be able to call Nissan of North America with your vin number and get the key numbers that were registered when your vehicle was purchased new and be able to reprogram and cut a new key. There are probably only 25 different blanks and many,many different programs for each blank. My key has 5 numbers used in coding it. How many codes are possible using 5 numberals?
Just dont go to Toyota or Cadillac - they probably couldnt help you.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
homiusang

hey AZZGUY, which dealership did u bring your keys to get it cut and programmed?
I need a new key too...
Old 10-04-2005, 08:10 PM
ZZZealous007

did you ask the dealership from where you bought it from if they could contact the previous owner? Maybe they forgot to give you the spare. Or maybe they just wanted an extra key to the car just in case they wanted to go for a ride again.

...basically if you cant get the original key from the original purchase get new keys for your car.