Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to 'pay in full' before seeing my ordered vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
oldsnail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to 'pay in full' before seeing my ordered vehicle?

I know... under normal circumstances, I would never do that but I have a special case...
I am importing 350z from states to Canada and because of U.S. Custom policy, I am required to summit title document 72 hr prior to exportation.
I also need title document to get recall clearance letter from Nissan; I need it later to register vehicle in Canada.. The problem is that the dealership I am getting it from is very far from my place.. 8 hr hwy driving

so my only option would be
1. wait until the car arrives, travel all the way to dealership, do all the paperwork, go back to Canada, come back to dealership a week later to pick up the car.

2. Trust dealer that everything would be ok since it would be brand new 06
Also the dealer told me that if anything is less than perfect, she would refund my money. It was only verbal so if I pick option 2, I'll probably ask her to fax in writing that she would do that..

option 2 would save me 2~300 bucks, get 350z earlier, and save me trouble on long trip and time. What should I do..?

oh and also, I'll be sending money in bank wire... would that be safe enough to prove that I've already paid in full? I haven't been to their dealership..
in another words, I've never met them in person...
All deal was done over the email/phone call... deposit was made with credit card and it was charged from the dealership I'm getting from...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Aloha350z

Being that I am in Hawaii, I know people who have ordered cars online. There were very few problems when they took delivery. I purchased a new Z in California, and had the dealer ship it to Hawaii. One of my wheels were slightly damaged during the shipment. Since you're buying the car from a bonafide Nissan dealership, you should be okay. I would definately get it in writing regarding their refund policy. Whenever you're dealing outside of the country, your paperwork must be absolutely in order. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm not a real trusting guy so I would only do option 1. More effort, etc but you know what your getting with certainty.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:08 PM
spacemn_spiff

1. If the dealer can give you the purchase order with the VIN # when you pay for the Z, I could consider that option.

2. I dont trust the dealers verbal assurance. Dont send money by wire, do it some other way, may be credit card, I dont know if credit cards give you unlimited amount guarantee if something were to go wrong.

Overall, I am not very positive about dealing this way.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 PM
oren

I would try and force the dealer to sign a written contract, and i would try and figure a way to make both dealers take responsibility. If you have the written half though, i would say your safe.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:34 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option 1. I just don't believe in paying for something this expensive before actually having it in my posession. My $0.02.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Seth-Q8

fly down there.. inspect, buy and drive it back home.. the gas you will save from making 2 round trips will pay that one drive back home and your flight.. if that's not possible then order it
Old 10-06-2005, 07:56 PM
need Z

Originally Posted by usmanasif
Option 1. I just don't believe in paying for something this expensive before actually having it in my posession. My $0.02.
+1
Old 10-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Kanyon71

Unlike the others I would say as long as you have everything in writing and all the documents from your bank stating that the wire transfer occured and to whom and so forth you will be just fine. Things like this are done often and on cars far more expensive by people from foreign countries. As stated the important thing
Old 10-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just out of curiosity, why?

If it is an used vehicle and you want a specific car, then I can understand. But a new 06? Why? Can't you just wait for another couple of months instead of all this trouble and paying more through customs taxes?
Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 AM
oldsnail

Originally Posted by nitrouz
just out of curiosity, why?

If it is an used vehicle and you want a specific car, then I can understand. But a new 06? Why? Can't you just wait for another couple of months instead of all this trouble and paying more through customs taxes?
I see you are in Vancouver....
MSRP for Canadian 350z would be $46,000 Canadian
MSRP for USA 350z would be $34,000 * 1.18 = $40120 canadian assuming touring is somewhat similiar to Canadian model..
however, if I wanted to mod 350z later in future, I can get 350z base only..
that would cost me $28,000 *1.18 =33,040 Canadian

after tax, Canadian model, I'll end up paying 52400(14% tax)
after tax, US touring model I'll end up paying 48184(20.1% tax)
after tax, US Base model, I'll end up paying 38987(20.1% tax)
ofcourse, it is MUCH more work to get U.S. model... lots of paperwork, modification needed to be done.... checking with U.S. Custom which IS NOT really present thing to do at all.. (no offense, but US Customs do treat foreigner as 'alien') but by sacrificing some options on 350z, I'll end up saving $12,000 if not more...

plus... when I went to local nissan dealership, there weren't many 350z to start with.. and they won't budge much off MSRP.. hell they're today still selling 04' 350z at $44,000
When I shop in U.S. I have much more choices... lots of dealership with lots of cars.. so I can get price close to invoice price even for 06 model..

so.. for $12,000 I am sacrificing lots of time and research, options such as leather seat(heated), 240 watt bose sound system, TCS and VDC... and resale value of the car... warranty is still covered anywhere in North America..
My choice was.. save 12,000 and use it to mod car to my taste.. oh and.. I get the car faster than I would if I were to wait for my local dealership
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 AM
OutsiderZ5

I would like to see the car first. I mean would you pay a hooker before finding out if the hooker is a man or woman?????
Old 10-07-2005, 07:53 AM
350Z007

Originally Posted by OutsiderZ5
I would like to see the car first. I mean would you pay a hooker before finding out if the hooker is a man or woman?????
That is the best analogy I've heard in a while.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 AM
drdisco

I had a very bad experience with a dealer when I first tried to order my Z. Put down a large deposit to order, then the dealer never ordered the car. After three months of fighting with the dealer about getting the car I wanted/ordered I finally decided to walk away from the deal. Then the fight to get my deposit back started. I ended up with a lawyer on retainer and I was literally about five minutes away from legal action when they finally wrote me a check for my deposit. From experience, I would give them as little money as necessary until you can take posession of the car.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:56 PM
PigsSuck

Im not sure if you nead anymore advice but Ill try and give you some just in case. When I imported my turbo eclipse from Pennsylvania (spl) to Ontario I went one weekend to look at it.. end up buying it left the documents at the border along with the 72 hr stuff and than later went back picked it up and picked up all the paper work. I also has a 7.5 hr drive, but on the way back its well worth it... especially when you hear the turbo spooling

-Adam