2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Disabling "safety" feature on factory navigation - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:39 PM
lauderdale75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disabling "safety" feature on factory navigation - please advise

Dear All (and especially those mechanically inclined) -

First of all, let me disclaim the following by letting you know that I did indeed perform a search on this subject.

That being said, I had an inquiry regarding the factory Navigation system. By way of background, I used to own an Acura TL-S w/ factory navigation, which, in my opinion was far superior to the one Nissan offers on many levels. But I digress. One of the most notable advantages it had to offer was the ability to program the Navigation while the car was in motion. I agree the safety feature the carmaker had in mind by installing this feature, however this feature also preempts any passenger from programming the navigation while moving. Anyhow, I would like to know if anyone has devised a hack that would permit the user to bypass this feature, obviously without interrupting any of the other features of navigation. I guess, logically, these two demands seem mutually exclusive, since the Navigation may not work if it doesnt know the car was moving, but nonetheless, I just wanted to get a feel for what is out there.

Thanks in advance,
Chirag
Old 12-23-2002, 07:01 PM
SunsetZ

I agree, the disclaimer that you have to say yes to every time you power up should be enough to limit Nissans Liability with you using the system. Letting the passenger use it while in motion, or the driver if conditions warrant should be permitted. I thought it was just using the speedo to know if you where moving, but I guess you are right, it could be the GPS itself.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:15 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, the speedo doesnt register VERY low speeds. try driving at like 1mph where it will read 0, for a little while, across a parking lot for example, and see if it reads it or not.

then if it is the speedo... well, I donno what you would do for it, but atleast you have a plan of action.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Intrepid

It would be difficult and perhaps impossible. The Nav is reading either speed, or gear shift position. You would need to find out where that input is on the Nav and disable or fool it. It may not be that easy because the speed input is also used by the Nav to function properly. So, if it uses the speed, you can NOT defeat it without causing the Nav to malfunction. My guess is it reads the speed. If it only reads the gear shift position, it would be relatively easy to defeat.

If anyone figures this out, let me know. When I have time I'll study the service manual and see what I can find out.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:12 AM
ZON

Have you guys seen the Honda Accord commercial with the voice activated Nav? I saw it the other night and my heart dropped. I actually felt a little angry too!!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Intrepid

Yes, I saw that and I wanted that very much. However, I don't want a Honda Accord. Great Voice Activated System though. You can control not only the Nav but all controls (like heat, A/C, etc.) with your voice. Personally, I think we need another 5 years or so to perfect this anyway.... But very cool!
Old 12-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Intrepid

My tentative review of the service manual indicates that the software of the Navigation system detects the speed of the vehicle to determine lockout status. This means you can not set destinations when the car is in motion. There is no was around this except to decompile the software, find and modify the relevant subroutine, recompile the software and burn to a new DVD. This would require an expert programmer and a great deal of time.

I'll keep you posted if I find an easier method (unlikely).