Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track vs. Touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 PM
Feyjarl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track vs. Touring

Hi all, I'm pretty new here so please be gentle!

Has anyone here driven the Track and Touring models?

I know what the physical changes are... Bigger alloys, Brembo brake system etc but is there a noticeable difference when driving it? If so, what are the differences.

I have a test drive planned next week but wanted to get the opinion of you guys who have lived with your "Track" models for some time.

I suppose what I'm getting at is this, is the increased spec of the "Track" model really worth the additional price? Do the diffusers make all that much difference? Or is the "Track" version worth the extra purely for the "VDC off" capability?

I'm pretty keen on the track model as (from my limited knowledge) it comes with some good value additionals, but if I was to throw some 18" alloys and a serious brake system (AP Racing for example) on the Tourer model, would there be that much difference between the two?

A lot of questions I knwo, but I'd appreciate your advice.

Feyjarl.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:04 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, the brakes alone were enough to justify the Track model. BBK's are VERY expensive to purchase and install, and that one upgrade will more than make up the cost differentiall between a touring and a track. As for the wheels and the aero kit, I modded this stuff anyway, so it wasn't important to me. The bose stereo is crap and I didn't want leather, I wanted cloth. It just holds better. Therefore the track was the model for me.

The touring models VDC capabilities are the same as the Track's, you can turn it off at will.

As for handling/performance, the lighter-weight wheels are more than discounted by the larger, heavier rotors, so the difference in unsprung, rotational weight is likely negligible for the most part.

As for power, etc., the two cars are the same.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Feyjarl

So the Touring and Track models can turn their VDC off?
Old 10-07-2005, 08:18 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Feyjarl
So the Touring and Track models can turn their VDC off?
Well, I guess I should preface everything with "Here in the U.S."....I know the models tend to vary from country to country....but yeah, there is a button down below the steering wheel that will turn off VDC.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:24 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobean
As for handling/performance, the lighter-weight wheels are more than discounted by the larger, heavier rotors, so the difference in unsprung, rotational weight is likely negligible for the most part.
Although this might be true, in test after test, the stock '03-'05 Track seems to be 0.3-0.4 faster to 60mph and in the 1/4, but I guess this will depend on one's definition of "negligible".

All bets are off for the '06's.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 PM
duaxe_350z
Banned

Why waste money for track or touring if can save the money to build better car. You dont need VDC or TCS or tire sensors...they are pretty annoying..especially when you race or change the wheels on your car. Plus these mods add weight to the car. Touring car has extra layer of sealing for quieter interior which also add weight.

Use your money to buy a base Z and save extra bucks to get the parts you want. I regret spending money for enthusiast which comes with LSD and TCS....

Base Z costs you around 28 K out of door. Track or touring cost around 38k .
1) Get set of 18 inch wheel. Best wheels on market right now are Volk Racing Te37 which is the lightest. Or get Nismo wheels. Either one of these costs you $2800. But you get much better wheels than track or touring.
2) In term of braking, you spend another $2500 for 14 inch Brembo or Stoptech front brake kit(You dont need BBK for the rear because 75% braking is handled by the front) These are much bigger than touring or track brakes and have better performance than stock brembo brakes.
3)Spend another $2500 for Nismo LSD and 3.9 final drive which is much better than stock LSD and give you better acceleration. Or if you dont want 3.9 final drive gear, you can spend money for Nismo exhaust.
4)Spend rest of money for intake. HID Headlight and headers.

Try to go with nismo parts so that you can still retain your warrantee

After all these mods, rest assure that you have a car that can out perform any track or touring Z.

Last edited by duaxe_350z; 10-07-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Aloha350z

If you want leather seats, but want the bigger brakes, get the Grand Touring model. If you're looking at response time, the Grand Touring will be heavier...thus a bit slower.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Feyjarl

Duaxe,

Thanks for the response. You raise a lot of good points, althoughh the one about "3.9 final drive gear" has thrown me, what does that mean?

You really think VDC is a waste? Anyone else agree?

Unfortunately though, the only models I can get in Australia are the 25th aniv, Touring, Track and Roadster.

The Roadster is a no go too (skin cancer's bad enough in Australia without having no roof!), so it's a trade off between the 25th Aniv at AUD$67,990.00, the Track at AUD$65,990.00 and the Touring is AUD$59,990.00.

The only real difference between the 25th and the others is the extra 15kW of power it has, but paying almost 9K for that seems ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:47 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Feyjarl
Duaxe,

Unfortunately though, the only models I can get in Australia are the 25th aniv, Touring, Track and Roadster.
You folks can get a new 1995 Z from the dealership?

My opinion on the VDC is that it is necessary. It can help you during times when you won't even foresee you need to watch out for the changing driving surface.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:09 AM
Feyjarl

You folks can get a new 1995 Z from the dealership

By which of course I meant 35th anniv.

You win the prize for spotting the obvious mistake!