2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Modded 350Z vs Elise ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Ztalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZlleH
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...ne/toyota.html

Will tell you all about the history of the Elise engine.

"Long-time Lotus development engineer and driver Roger Becker flew to Japan with the idea of sourcing Toyota's new, 1.8 liter, Yamaha-designed 2ZZ-GE engine for use in a world version of the Elise."

The birth of the Elise was becasue one of the engineer's wife did not want him to get a motorcycle: http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/060402.html

"The Lotus Elise began life in 1992 as a lightweight 'step-over' car with no doors after the wife of an engineer at the Hethel, England-based company insisted he not buy a motorcycle."

So I say here is the next generation of Elise minded cars:
http://fast-autos.net/roadtests/trex05/index.html
"the T-Rex is a tube-framed three wheeled vehicle that uses the engine and transmission of a Kawasaki ZZR-1200 at the back, and custom built race car style suspension at
the front. The 152 hp motorcycle engine in a vehicle that weighs only 900 lbs (dry) creates performance numbers that few cars can rival."
when it comes to separating the facts from the fiction..." YOU ARE DA MAN"

BTW.....that Donkey Kong cracks me up.
GOOD LOOKING OUT....bro
Old 10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
dlaw300z

Unless you plan on daily driving the Elise, you'd be crazy not to get it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:55 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly, didn't Yamaha also design & manufacture an engine for a Ford back in the '80's? The letters SHO seem to ring a bell.

BTW, Lotus is no slouch when it comes to engine design. Ever here of a Northstar? Or a Corvette "King of the Hill"? Back when GM had a few $ invested in Lotus.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:05 PM
Chris S

Originally Posted by Kolia
I would like to see from what motorcycle the Elise engine might have been sourced. 1.8 liters twin cam with variable valve timing and lift, plus an H gate tranny and dry clutch and finally a puny 8000 and something rpm red line? I’ve never seen that on 2 wheels.
Who ever claimed it came from a motorcycle? Everbody knows it's derived from the Celica GTS engine, which is built by Yamaha (their name is even stamped on the block). Yamaha does a lot more than just motorcycle engines.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Ztalker
to make the long story short.....back in the days when Lotus first approached Toyota Motors to suggest using their Celica engine on their Elise .... according to one popular automobile magazine......Toyota flatly refused. But somehow after further begging/negotiations, Toyota finally allowed Lotus to use their name even though its built by Yamaha. Lotus ain't no fool.....cuz they knew they wouldn't be able to sell as many cars if they had branded it as a Yamaha, dude.
don't get me wrong...i still like the Lotus even though its soul is a motorcycle.
Then youve obviously never owned a yamaha motorcycle/engine. I have owned 2 personally both taken over 40k miles with zero problems. They were tracked monthly and dogged everyday by me all throughout college. The R1 motorcycle engine is an engineering marvel of power/size/weight. What better engine to have? You need to ride a sportbike before you flame, the yammy would rip your z in half in any environment besides torrential rain.
Also let me add that while 40k is by no means a proof of a quality engine i know plenty of engines that show signs of problems by 40k so it does mean something.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Then youve obviously never owned a yamaha motorcycle/engine. I have owned 2 personally both taken over 40k miles with zero problems. They were tracked monthly and dogged everyday by me all throughout college. The R1 motorcycle engine is an engineering marvel of power/size/weight. What better engine to have? You need to ride a sportbike before you flame, the yammy would rip your z in half in any environment besides torrential rain.
Also let me add that while 40k is by no means a proof of a quality engine i know plenty of engines that show signs of problems by 40k so it does mean something.
at least you need to give me credit for owning a brand new 6000 dollar YAMAHA piano.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:41 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Ztalker
at least you need to give me credit for owning a brand new 6000 dollar YAMAHA piano.
lol
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Nano

the toyota 1.8L was awarded the 2002 engine of the year award in the 1.4 - 1.8L category.

it came second in 2003 behind the mini 1.6 liter sc.
it came second in 2004 behind the 1.5L Toyota hybrid.
it came second this year, again behind the 1.5L toyota hybrid (the mini 1.6L sc engine is down in 4th place)