Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Moved to new place - driveway scrapes the undercarriage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 AM
halitosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moved to new place - driveway scrapes the undercarriage.

Oy!

So, I moved to a new condo and the "driveway" is actually a 20(ish) degree grade, steep ramp that's only about 2 feet long. This part is concrete and the rest of the street is asphalt. So far, I've been using a two-tiered 2 by 8 plank that's been sloped off in the edges like a trapezoid but it is only sometimes successful at getting me and the Z into the garage without scraping the undercarriage. I place this board on the ramp part under each side of the wheels to get the car elevated about 3 inches.

I noticed the the undercarriage has some plastic fore-aft runners to protect it from this kind of thing but I don't think it will stand up to prolonged abuse. Anybody have suggestions on how to get around this issue?

Are there any civil engineers out there that can design me the perfect ramp?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:15 PM
DobbersNissanZ

...i paid 1600 to have my driveway re-paved before i bought my Z to avoid this very problem...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
halitosis

Originally Posted by DobbersNissanZ
...i paid 1600 to have my driveway re-paved before i bought my Z to avoid this very problem...
Suck. I am trying to avoid this with a ramp...
Old 10-18-2005, 03:24 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, man. I am keeping this same thing in mind (plus attached garage) while looking for my next condo or townhome. Did you try entering at an angle? (w/o ramps, of course). That often seems to do the trick.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Chicken

Where I work is the same problem. The flarking bastages designed it like this...

V

Damn thing scrapes no matter how sideways I go, though I do have an aftermarket bumper, but still... I curse them daily as a scrape slowly.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:52 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your car is not lowered at all? And you don't have an aftermarket lip?

Your driveway is 20 degrees slant? That's weird, I have a uphill driveway too and my car can easily drive onto it with no issues, I think I might even be able to put an aftermarket lip on it and it will still clear it.

Any pictures of your driveway? This is making me a little concern on my plan to get a lip.

Originally Posted by halitosis
Oy!

So, I moved to a new condo and the "driveway" is actually a 20(ish) degree grade, steep ramp that's only about 2 feet long. This part is concrete and the rest of the street is asphalt. So far, I've been using a two-tiered 2 by 8 plank that's been sloped off in the edges like a trapezoid but it is only sometimes successful at getting me and the Z into the garage without scraping the undercarriage. I place this board on the ramp part under each side of the wheels to get the car elevated about 3 inches.

I noticed the the undercarriage has some plastic fore-aft runners to protect it from this kind of thing but I don't think it will stand up to prolonged abuse. Anybody have suggestions on how to get around this issue?

Are there any civil engineers out there that can design me the perfect ramp?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:33 PM
jcpeyton

I'm 1.25 lowered and have a steep driveway. The shields on the cats scraped until I got rid of the OEM cats. To avoid scraping the front underside took a little practice, but it's basically drift backwards, in neutral, and angle, angle, angle, very slowly--then cut the wheels back in. It takes me a full minute to back out of my garage--a PIA, but no scrapes.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
halitosis

Originally Posted by ZlleH
So your car is not lowered at all? And you don't have an aftermarket lip?

Your driveway is 20 degrees slant? That's weird, I have a uphill driveway too and my car can easily drive onto it with no issues, I think I might even be able to put an aftermarket lip on it and it will still clear it.

Any pictures of your driveway? This is making me a little concern on my plan to get a lip.
It not about the incline angle, it is the abrupt change. The garage itself is flat while the drive is very steep. My car is not lowered, and the front lip does not scrap. I scrape only the undercarriage without the ramps. No scrape with the ramp.