Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Burning Out in a Stock Z - Why the Rattling Rear Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:06 PM
halitosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
Here as video showing what you are experiencing. The car filming is a Z racing against an altima, the Z gets a horrible launch with a lot of wheel hop. Just so you know you are getting wheel hop because you are launching wrong, you are doing something wrong. May be you are doing it when your tires are too cold. I have never had this issue, and have seen plenty of videos were stock Z's race and they dont get any wheel hop. So is not exactly a problem with the Z.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....63878&kw=9&p=0
Thanks for the video. So, it seems that the culprit is me.

Is there a way to burnout cleanly without wheel-hop, then?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:25 PM
mavtais

Originally Posted by halitosis
This link is for helm joints? Do you actually have experience with this mod? I worry about ride quality issue with helm joints since this is my daily driver! Thanks.
Your ride will be louder. My brother has an AE86 with T3 suspension everything. 0 Wheel hop, even when we drop the clutch from 5000rpm (don't try this at home). And you also mentioned drifters spinning freely... well, if you ever look at their undercarriage, it's all spherical ends, no bushings.

Your ride will be louder. But it's not like your car drives like an old cadillac anyway. It was bumpy to begin with. And besides, you're burning out for fun.

Cheapest way, measure your bushings and let Energy suspension know all the sizes you need. Order some self-lubing polyurethane bushings and you shall be cured. No self-lubing and your car will squeak with every movement of the suspension, like two fat people doin' it on an old worn-out bed.

Nothing to do with tires or springs.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM
halitosis

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=hot+burnout

This thread above is from 2 years ago... it's more reading on the same issue.

Anyway, it really seems like this is a bushing issue. Although, I wish someone who has had this problem AND fixed it would comment a bit. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
mavtais

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ht=hot+burnout

This thread above is from 2 years ago... it's more reading on the same issue.

Anyway, it really seems like this is a bushing issue. Although, I wish someone who has had this problem AND fixed it would comment a bit. Thanks.
I have... but not in a Z yet... in an AE86, which almost has the same rear end set up. Can you believe it... way back in 1985.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
kbiz

The Z definitely can wheel hop more than some other high torque rigs but it's not a bad thing. If you smoke the tires on most sports cars it's actually harder to get the back end bouncing... but that's usually because they don't have enough torque to break the tires loose that much. I got a Z06 vette hoppin a bit by givin it too much gas... but the bad boy Porsches will just smoke... old muscle cars hop much easier as was mentioned before due to that solid rear axle and suspension. I can make mine hop horribly but only by giving it too much gas, just like in that video. If you just hammer the gas off the line you'll get bad wheel hop... If you try it with quite a bit less gas you'll see that you can smoke the tires pretty easily.
The guy in that video is an example of the worst possible start you can have (That's wheel hop... feels more like a violent rear shudder)! Plus he stayed in first gear waiting for the tires to settle in... he should have dropped it into 2nd but even then he had already lost. The best start is generally a tiny chirp of the tires at launch... or just under that even.
I'm sure you can improve on the suspension but I think it's good to learn the subtle balance of traction at launch...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Vamos_Rafael

... bro that video vs SE-R is aweful...
wtf was that... disgrace!
ease the gas and floor it once traction is gained... wow...
thats a disgrace
Old 10-26-2005, 09:06 AM
halitosis

Originally Posted by mavtais
I have... but not in a Z yet... in an AE86, which almost has the same rear end set up. Can you believe it... way back in 1985.
Do you plan on upgrading any of your suspension components to address the wheel-hop? What are you going to do, specifically? (to the Z, not the AE86)
Old 10-26-2005, 01:56 PM
mavtais

Do you plan on upgrading any of your suspension components to address the wheel-hop? What are you going to do, specifically? (to the Z, not the AE86)
Goin down to Performance Nissan on November 12. Plan on buying links. Will tell you all about it when I get them installed.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
redclaw

When I had my 300zx i cured my wheel hop completely with sub-frame spacers...dunno if it would work on the 350z but after I put the spacers on my zx it felt one heck of a lot more stable. It was one of those too good to be true but was mods. check em out http://specialtyz.com/suspension.htm
someone tell us if something like this could be made for the 350z they sold like hot cakes
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM
halitosis

UPDATE:

I talked to a bud who is a ASE Master Technician last night:

Fixes for the wheel-hop
1) New Bushings, stiffer ones or
2) Helm Joints, and to further reduce it..
3) higher spring rates (lower the car) or just
4) get coilovers in addition to 1) or 2).

Hope this helps anybody in the same boat.