Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Burning Out in a Stock Z - Why the Rattling Rear Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:24 AM
halitosis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Burning Out in a Stock Z - Why the Rattling Rear Wheels?

So, does anybody know why my rear wheels rattle (at around 4 times per second) when I burn out after a clutch drop? It rattles the entire time through a burn-out.

Does anyone even know what I am referring to? I'd be happy to clarify if needed.

I read somewhere that the Nismo S-tune suspension takes care of this problem. I can appreciate that - but, what I want to know is why does this happen on the stock Z. I have the 2005.

I suspect the dampers - high speed damping issue, you think?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Vamos_Rafael

S tune suspension is over priced ...
DONT GET IT!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Badmonkey

It's called wheel hop. The Z's have had it for a loong time.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 AM
halitosis

Originally Posted by Badmonkey
It's called wheel hop. The Z's have had it for a loong time.
That's doesn't really address the issue. You apparently knew what I meant.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
mavtais

To answer your question, the wheel hop is caused by those darn rubber bushings. They flex and spring back, flex and spring back... The torque from your drivetrain to your wheels puts this pressure on the bushings.
So if you only wanted to get rid of wheel hop, you have two cheaper options than the whole S-Tune suspension set up. You can just get these: http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...02_153_261_943
Or you can go even cheaper and measure all your bushings, then request those sizes from Energy Suspension. They'll prob be red instead of black, and like I said before, if they are not the self-lubing kind, they will definitely squeak.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by halitosis
So, does anybody know why my rear wheels rattle (at around 4 times per second) when I burn out after a clutch drop? It rattles the entire time through a burn-out.

Does anyone even know what I am referring to? I'd be happy to clarify if needed.

I read somewhere that the Nismo S-tune suspension takes care of this problem. I can appreciate that - but, what I want to know is why does this happen on the stock Z. I have the 2005.

I suspect the dampers - high speed damping issue, you think?
mine does it when i have a lot of air in the tires, but not when they are about 31-32lbs
Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM
halitosis

Originally Posted by mavtais
To answer your question, the wheel hop is caused by those darn rubber bushings. They flex and spring back, flex and spring back... The torque from your drivetrain to your wheels puts this pressure on the bushings.
So if you only wanted to get rid of wheel hop, you have two cheaper options than the whole S-Tune suspension set up. You can just get these: http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...02_153_261_943
Or you can go even cheaper and measure all your bushings, then request those sizes from Energy Suspension. They'll prob be red instead of black, and like I said before, if they are not the self-lubing kind, they will definitely squeak.

This link is for helm joints? Do you actually have experience with this mod? I worry about ride quality issue with helm joints since this is my daily driver! Thanks.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:35 AM
plumpzz

Just do a 2nd gear clutch drop ^^
Old 10-18-2005, 11:45 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you referring to "wheel hop?" You attempt to accelerate, but the entire rear end shutters?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
plumpzz

ur just putting too much gas in, and wheel hop happens if u have independant suspension. u can just upgrade tires or suspension..
Old 10-18-2005, 12:45 PM
halitosis

Originally Posted by davidv
Are you referring to "wheel hop?" You attempt to accelerate, but the entire rear end shutters?
Yes.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you are dumping the clutch with too much gas or dumping the clutch too fast. The tires are breaking grip and catching again. Any car will do this. Some more than others. Unless I missed that you are taking your car to the drag strip just learn not to do that! You can launch a stock Z full force smoothly if you know what you are doing. Yes it does have something to do with the suspension and tires too but I don't know why you would spend the money just to get less wheel hop. It can't always be fully eliminated. This is very hard on your differential spider gears by the way and could cause them to chip the teeth off or worse break. Don't keep doing that
Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by halitosis
Yes.
I can’t comment on “burning the tires”(for fun) because I don't do that. But I can mention at the staging pad at the dragstrip. And its interesting because my opinion is exactly the opposite of my fellow Z drivers. “Bogging” is the result of too LITTLE power. The tires grab, break, grab, break... You're not giving the tires enough power to break traction (spin).

Last edited by davidv; 10-18-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
bjr

I think the main thing is the initial jolt from dumping the clutch with just the wrong amount of gas. Then the tires start bouncing with the suspension. When they do you may be able to let off on the gas and it will stop or if you have more power left punch through it and get them to start spinning. I don't know, I've never had a car with enough power to hit the gas harder! And I abused my last car enough to treat this one with a lot more respect. so I haven't tried it.
Maybe you should have posted this in the racing section, you are getting a lot of us guessing now. When I went to autocross school many years ago I asked the instructor to explain a little bit about wheel hop and the main thing is that you have dumped the clutch way too fast. You'll learn as you gain car control experience that everything comes down to being smooth. Maybe spend some time googleing wheel hop to get a handle on it and how to prevent it. I've heard of front wheel drive cars wheel hopping so violently that the windshield can crack! It's definately something you want to avoid if you want your car to last.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
halitosis

I can’t comment on “burning the tires”(for fun) because I don't do that. But I can mention at the staging pad at the dragstrip. And its interesting because my opinion is exactly the opposite of my fellow Z drivers. “Bogging” is the result of too LITTLE power. The tires grab, break, grab, break... You're not giving the tires enough power to break traction (spin).

I appreciate everone's input here.

Just for clarification, the wheel hop is happening AS I AM SPINNING MY REAR WHEELS. Do you ever see drift shows? They lose traction in the rear and spin the rear freely. The example I gave in the first post is referring to this kind of situation except that with me, while my wheels are burning out, the rear end is violently rattling. I don't know if we are on the same page....
Old 10-20-2005, 05:29 PM
bjr

? Wheel hop is wheel hop. Your diff won't put up with that forever. Hope you find a way to cure it. I think there are some suggestions here if you look back. Have you tried searching in the racing sections especially drifting and drag racing? Good luck and be carefull
Old 10-20-2005, 07:01 PM
nicolaycastro

Here as video showing what you are experiencing. The car filming is a Z racing against an altima, the Z gets a horrible launch with a lot of wheel hop. Just so you know you are getting wheel hop because you are launching wrong, you are doing something wrong. May be you are doing it when your tires are too cold. I have never had this issue, and have seen plenty of videos were stock Z's race and they dont get any wheel hop. So is not exactly a problem with the Z.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....63878&kw=9&p=0
Old 10-20-2005, 08:07 PM
rockinbboy

Originally Posted by nicolaycastro
Here as video showing what you are experiencing. The car filming is a Z racing against an altima, the Z gets a horrible launch with a lot of wheel hop. Just so you know you are getting wheel hop because you are launching wrong, you are doing something wrong. May be you are doing it when your tires are too cold. I have never had this issue, and have seen plenty of videos were stock Z's race and they dont get any wheel hop. So is not exactly a problem with the Z.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....63878&kw=9&p=0
The Z got owned by the Altima...........
Old 10-20-2005, 08:13 PM
xephiron

I wouldn't say it is because of "too little" power, because if I start wheel hopping in 1st gear I can just shift to 2nd, and it peels-out smooth as silk. It has to be a combination of gearing and suspension, since 2nd doesn't do it. I have tried different types/sizes of tires and it doesn't make a difference.

... but on a good launch you will only spin in 1st briefly and then GO. It only wheel hops when you spin too much in 1st, or atleast for me. And during a burn-out (in the water before staging) you should have no problem shifting into 2nd and 3rd to really heat them up. If that is what you like to do..
Old 10-20-2005, 08:33 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never experienced wheel hop in my Z. but yes many things can cause it. bad shocks (prolly not on this new of a car though), the bushings being too soft and allowing too much movement, and spring wrap (which obviously is not going to happen on this car. actually to clarify an earlier post, wheel hop happens way more on straight axle cars than independent rears from spring wrap. but the action is still the same, and has been covered many times already, grip, then a sudden loss of grip. the feeling can be rather brutal and not easy to mistake for anything else.
nissan had a recall on axles also but only for 03 models i believe. they would click slightly, but i have never heard that on my car either. i'm in tigard not far from ya at all, there is a few other guys around here that meet for a few beers every once in awhile, come meet us sometime and we will watch you do a burnout, hahahaha.

Quick Reply: Burning Out in a Stock Z - Why the Rattling Rear Wheels?