Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Fraudulent Z for Sale on E-bay...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:46 PM
KombatKing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fraudulent Z for Sale on E-bay...?

Hey guys,

Just wanted your opinion on this one. I was looking at 350ZR's for sale on E-bay and came across this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...ayphotohosting

For $6,000 US. So I e-mail the guy saying I think you meant $60K and I get this response:

Hello,
I want to thank you for your interest regarding my car.
I know that are numerous offers on eBay and I'm glad that you choose to contact me regarding your willingness to purchase.The car is in very good conditions has never been wrecked or damaged and the engine runs very well and the tires are brand new.Because this is our first contact and because we are in a business relationship please let me introduce my self.My name is Joe Harris
ADDRESS:Corso Vittorio Emanuele II,18
CITY:Roma
ZIP:00186
My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in Italy. We brought the car with us, wanting to register it here, but I couldn't because in order to get it registered here it will need serious engine modifications to comply with the EU emission standards. The car is bought from US and is made for US market. The car it it registered in US and I had all the services done there.So,when I found out how much paper work I must do to register it here... simply I gave up and decided to sell it and buy another car here in Italy.I had made this decision to sell the car faster only for $6000US,shipping included, even decided to support all the shipping charges in order to make a smooth deal for this car.I will use Lufthansa Airplane Cargo for shipping, so you will be able to receive it in 4-5 working days (depending on your exact location). The car will be crated, will have an insurance and will be delivered at your door without you being charged one penny more.As soon as I have your firm decision that you want to buy, I will take the car to Lufthansa Airplane and pay all the taxes for the shipping including the insurance and the custom fees. Along with the car, I will send you all the documents that I have for the car - the title ,keys,owner manual and all the receipts from services.
From the beginig you have to know that I will end this deal only trough Ebay so bought of us will be protected.
If you are interested in buying it I will apreciate a faster answer from your side.
Best regards,
Joe Harris

So I get curious and reply to him and he sends this back:

Hello again,

I'm very glad to hear that you are still interested in buying my car.The car is still for sale and the selling price inclouding all shipping and delivery charges.The buy it now price is 6000$ and I will require half of the amount (3000$) and after you receive the car you will do the balance in max 15 days after you will test and arive the car.Some words about the car: perfect condition.The car has never been wrecked or damaged.No damages,no scratches or dents,no hidden defects,clear title, and it is as advertised,it passed the test emissions and comes with all the documents you need to register the car.Like I told you in my first email i will pay all shipping and delivery charges all the way to your door steps.Shipping will be done via "Lufthansa Air Services" and it will take no more then 4 days.I have a friend at "Lufthansa Air Services" who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is from me to pay for shipping it.When I will shipp it,I will declare it as a gift so that you will pay no cusoms when you will receive it and for this it will be delivered directly to your address.
This is how we can make this deal happen.When I left the US I deposited $12.000 US at Ebay.I did this because it is very difficult to deal with eBayers and make them feel safe when a long distance is involved.In case we will close this deal,you are protected by Ebay. How you are protected by Ebay? well ,in case you will not receive the car as I described to you, Ebay will refund you with 100% from the whole amount which you paid to me. But this won't be the case.One conclusion, you are protected.Just let me know if you are interested and I will notify EBAY about our deal and they will contact you with the payment method.Just let me know if you are intersted in buying it and I notify Ebay about our deal and they will contact you with the payment method.

Waiting for your e-mail ASAP.
Thank you!

So I do a little checking online thinking a car that beautiful has to have been shown off - and this is what I find:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/677976/8

Look Familiar?

I've been looking for a nice 350ZR for a long time - but just be careful, because there are some serious sheisters out there....

~KK
Old 10-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 1,001 Likes on 761 Posts

hes got 100% feedback.
damn anti click stuff,, tab button to the rescue though
it sold, but who knows. hes a ebay seller too.

looks very legit, someone will be out of some money
Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 PM
KombatKing

Thanks for your validation Cux,

It did look legit, which is why I almost started jumping...the other odd thing was that his second message came within 2 minutes of my reply - alot of typing fast - which I thought was really odd...

Also, seeing as how he's saying his name is "Joe Harris" and the owner of the exact look-a-like car with a different website that has the exact same pictures - is named Rick. I think it's safe to say Rick is the most likely rightful owner... I e-mailed Rick's website too to ask if he was selling/sold his car just to be safe, but I haven't got a reply back from "Joe Harris" so I think he's a crook.

~KK
Old 10-27-2005, 05:14 PM
lax91181

The seller name on ebay is rcorv, and the other site it is rick c's car. Hmmmm. Sounds like the same car to me. What is with the completly different name, e-mail address and seller name. Someone either got the greatest deal ever or got ripped bad. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:16 PM
mdracer76
Banned

That is most DEF a scammer.

I cant wait to see my car up for sale on ebay... LOL !
Old 10-27-2005, 05:20 PM
KombatKing

My last e-mail to him just said this:

"Joe, what happened to Rick's 350z?"

No response so far...

~KK

Oh and I reported him to E-bay...

Last edited by KombatKing; 10-27-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:22 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Definitely a scam. He says that the $6000 includes shipping it air freight. Hell, the air freight charges will probably be more than that.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdracer76

Correct. The account looks legitimate because it is. The account is hijacked. The con conducts the sale off-eBay. When the mark sends his money, there is no recourse with eBay to get it back.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:57 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The account is hijacked when the account holder replies to phony email such as this:

Old 10-27-2005, 06:10 PM
zdotcom

When I was in the market for a Z I found one listed in Ponca City Oklahoma for a 04 DB with only 9k miles on it. The reatail price is like $3000, so I email and he replies that he is from England and is eager to sell and needs half the cash. Since it was on Autotrader I cut and paste the VIN into google and Carfax verifies the vin as an 04 350Z but I also got another result for a Yahoo car ad in Maryland.

The maryland ad is asking $6000 and has different pics but looks like taken in the same area. Very fishy so I emailed autotrader and within 6 hours the ad was removed and they sent me a follow up emial thanking me for telling them.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:30 PM
cubbiekidd22

I also received an email after sending a guy one after seeing a Z for 9k overseas.

"Sammy Vily" <sammyboy175@hotmail.com>
RE: Owner 57083055: AutoTrader.com: Vehicle Lead 2005 Nissan 350Z
The car is as good as new so you don't have to worry.The price is
$9000. Here are the most important details about the car : - US car ( US model , US specs ) - odometer in Miles , speedometer in Miles per Hour ( MPH )
This car meets all Environmental Regulations in the USA ( DOT , EPA )
,it has a clear title issued in US and it can be registred anytime under
your name without a problem.It's absolutely perfect ,it has a clear title
,has never been repaired , never been involved in any type of accident or
had any paint or body work done! I live in the UNITED KINGDOM now where
European specs are different from the American ones and it costs me too much
driving this car legally here and also there is nobody interested in buying it
here.In addition,the car's steering is on the left like in the US but english cars have steering on the right that's why I am selling it so cheap hoping to find a buyer in the US where it belongs.I inquired and the best and fastest way I can ship with is using Pegasus Cargo and it takes between 7-10 days to arrive at your door and I will take care of 50% of the expenses which include shipping and insurance.We will use a safe payment method I am affiliated at Square Trade ,I have a a purchase protection account for 20000$ and I assume you know what this means.I will wait for your email
to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.

Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:33 PM
abyss

OT but that is one beautiful roadster. :O
Old 10-27-2005, 06:36 PM
sam_watts01

dont do this, my friend tried to buy a supra from the same type of deal, free shipping from italy, turned out to be a scam
Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 PM
cubbiekidd22

I figured it was a scam for obvious reasons... just making people aware of what to look for.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:20 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it sounds to good to be true, it is!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:22 PM
aonic

Rick is a member of the other 350z forum, I've seen him make threads about his car being on autotrader and ebay multiple times lol
Old 10-27-2005, 07:30 PM
KombatKing

That fraud e-mail is scary - it looks legit but I would never respond to something sent to me in that manner since I have gotten similar e-mails from PayPal scams.

It's interesting to see the similarities between the scam e-mails - the stories, the photos, the misspellings, the broken/bad English and grammar - glad I remembered the saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is."

Thanks for all the feeback guys...

~KK
Old 10-27-2005, 07:42 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by mdracer76

Stay away from it!!!!
If something looks to good to be true, than chances are that it is!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:44 PM
CervanteZ

I always though Lufthansa airlines was only for small freight cargo and passengers. Besides the Air Force "fat boys" planes, I never heard of vehicles being flown.
I've been through this before, this guy was selling a AVIC-N1 Pioneer GPS/DVD for only $500 beans. He responded all e-mails, though he didn't want to use ebay or paypal to receive the money, he wanted western union. The address... Some p.o.box in Croatia.
He was on ebay for maybe no more than an hour. Then his ad and his username disappeared.
Check in a couple of days, I guarantee you that ad will be gone.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:27 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by CervanteZ
I always though Lufthansa airlines was only for small freight cargo and passengers. Besides the Air Force "fat boys" planes, I never heard of vehicles being flown.
I've been through this before, this guy was selling a AVIC-N1 Pioneer GPS/DVD for only $500 beans. He responded all e-mails, though he didn't want to use ebay or paypal to receive the money, he wanted western union. The address... Some p.o.box in Croatia.
He was on ebay for maybe no more than an hour. Then his ad and his username disappeared.
Check in a couple of days, I guarantee you that ad will be gone.

Yup.....
Lufthansa AL does not ship any cars overseas.... deff a scam!!!!

Quick Reply: Fraudulent Z for Sale on E-bay...?