Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ok Guys Honest Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Seth-Q8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok Guys Honest Opinions Please

If you looked in my other thread i made about the order of the lemans sunset you will notice that i am not obligated to it. Well now i'm in a particular dillemma. I am torn between the z4 3.0 and a 350z coupe. And to let everyone know i HAVE read every single 350z vs z4 thread but it still didn't help me enough. Here is my situation.

I am a college junior staying for his masters, and i want a nice car right now. I can safely say that price is not an issue so PLEASE do not talk about value. I live abroad but staying in the us temporarily and will be leasing this car for a minimum of 3 years.

If i get the Z and decide after a while i want to keep this car to bring back to my home country it'll be paid for and shipped (not before it gets modded though). If i go for the z4 i won't be putting a single mod because the value for bmw's are actually lower than Z's back home, so i would just be getting a new one when i get there.

Here are the two cars i am comparing.

2006 350z
Touring lemans sunset, burnt orange seats.
20% tinted all around.
Navigation included.
Aero kit.
6-speed.

2005 3.0 Z4
Deep red exterior, black interior.
Premium packing (memory seats/heated seats etc)
Premium sound.
Winter package.
6-speed.

This will replace my daily driver (2001 Volvo s40 1.9T). I am not crazy on the road but i do get my moments when i like to test the engine. I've test driven both already and i noticed the Z4 has a better ride. I get more attention with the 350z though. I live in Indiana so during winter i won't be able to use the convertible top.

Price is not an issue because i am leasing it. In fact it will be $50 cheaper on a monthly basis to go for the z4. Both has absolutely no miles on it. The 350z is on order (not obligated to it) and will come in 2-3 weeks from now. The z4 is already on the lot and i can pick it up this monday. I am hoping for QUICK replies because bmw is having the special promotion for $5000 which is the reason for thread since it expires after this monday.

Please don't bash the z4's exterior (seen with the other threads) because is completely opinion based. Interior wise i prefer the z4. A problem i see is that the z4 does not have navigation on it. I travel alot so this has significance. However i do have a pda with gps software which i use for my volvo now but it's annoying having so many wires hanging around and taking about 5-10 minutes setting it up before a drive.

Don't bash the bmw's reliability after the warranty is out because it will be returned before it even goes out. However Nissans warranty isn't as full so i will be spending more money in the long run with the z.

Now i will be tempted to mod the hell out of the 350z if i do go for it, but it will only be small mods untill i decide for sure that i want to bring it back home. So please compare the two cars bone stock.

I will be going back monday to test drive both cars back to back, and will ask if navigation can be put into the z4. If not i will ask about ordering a 2006 z4 instead, prices shouldn't change but that means i will have another long wait, but i don't mind i am perfectly fine in my s40 now.

Sorry for making this too long. You can probably tell that i'm losing my mind here. Please help.

Last edited by Seth-Q8; 10-29-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 PM
AZZGUY

Default choice

Originally Posted by Seth-Q8
If you looked in my other thread i made about the order of the lemans sunset you will notice that i am not obligated to it. Well now i'm in a particular dillemma. I am torn between the z4 3.0 and a 350z coupe. And to let everyone know i HAVE read every single 350z vs z4 thread but it still didn't help me enough. Here is my situation.

I am a college junior staying for his masters, and i want a nice car right now. I can safely say that price is not an issue so PLEASE do not talk about value. I live abroad but staying in the us temporarily and will be leasing this car for a minimum of 3 years.

If i get the Z and decide after a while i want to keep this car to bring back to my home country it'll be paid for and shipped (not before it gets modded though). If i go for the z4 i won't be putting a single mod because the value for bmw's are actually lower than Z's back home, so i would just be getting a new one when i get there.

Here are the two cars i am comparing.

2006 350z
Touring lemans sunset, burnt orange seats.
20% tinted all around.
Navigation included.
Aero kit.
6-speed.

2005 3.0 Z4
Deep red exterior, black interior.
Premium packing (memory seats/heated seats etc)
Premium sound.
Winter package.
6-speed.

This will replace my daily driver (2001 Volvo s40 1.9T). I am not crazy on the road but i do get my moments when i like to test the engine. I've test driven both already and i noticed the Z4 has a better ride. I get more attention with the 350z though. I live in Indiana so during winter i won't be able to use the convertible top.

Price is not an issue because i am leasing it. In fact it will be $50 cheaper on a monthly basis to go for the z4. Both has absolutely no miles on it. The 350z is on order (not obligated to it) and will come in 2-3 weeks from now. The z4 is already on the lot and i can pick it up this monday. I am hoping for QUICK replies because bmw is having the special promotion for $5000 which is the reason for thread since it expires after this monday.

Please don't bash the z4's exterior (seen with the other threads) because is completely opinion based. Interior wise i prefer the z4. A problem i see is that the z4 does not have navigation on it. I travel alot so this has significance. However i do have a pda with gps software which i use for my volvo now but it's annoying having so many wires hanging around and taking about 5-10 minutes setting it up before a drive.

Don't bash the bmw's reliability after the warranty is out because it will be returned before it even goes out. However Nissans warranty isn't as full so i will be spending more money in the long run with the z.

Now i will be tempted to mod the hell out of the 350z if i do go for it, but it will only be small mods untill i decide for sure that i want to bring it back home. So please compare the two cars bone stock.

I will be going back monday to test drive both cars back to back, and will ask if navigation can be put into the z4. If not i will ask about ordering a 2006 z4 instead, prices shouldn't change but that means i will have another long wait, but i don't mind i am perfectly fine in my s40 now.

Sorry for making this too long. You can probably tell that i'm losing my mind here. Please help.
Nothing wrong with losing your mind over a Z ! Lots of us do - had mine 18 months and still it enjoy it as much! Still get lots of looks.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:40 PM
cessna

If I were you, I'd get the BMW...(ok flame me guys!!!) I like the Z but a 05' bimmer sounds good to me!!! (except for the price!!!!)
Old 10-29-2005, 10:30 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your size is a factor too, I was behind this Z4 and a heavier tall lady was driving it and she looked like a big gorilla driving a go kart.

I really don't give the z4 a second look on the street so don't know how others react. Maybe the BMW Z series has been out longer then the 350Z that it's not a wow factor when I see one (co-worker has a z4 btw).

You also have to ask yourself if you are really a convertible guy or not, I personally am not a convertible guy. I'm more comfortable with a solid slick roof over my head, I think that is one of the best lines of the 350Z. Some people don't care about the roof lines and how slick it looks and they care more about sun hitting their head and face.

If I had enough money for a z4, I would still go for a 350Z for the look. I just don't like the look of the z4, just can't get pass that part. I'm sure a lot of people out there love the look of the z4, just not me.

Good luck with your choice.
Attached Thumbnails Ok Guys Honest Opinions Please-mario_kart_donkeykong.jpg  
Old 10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Seth-Q8

^
That pic is f'ing hilarious haha. I'm 5"10 and 160lbs so fitting in isn't a major factor. I've never really owned a convertible or really be in one longer than 20 minutes so i can't say if i am a convertible person or not. But i LOVE it's looks when it is down, but dislike it when it's up. I did notice when i test drove the z4 some of the older folks gave me evil glares, maybe it's because i'm young? That doesn't bother me though. Does driving with the top down really mess up your hair driving under 45mph? Because i can see that being extremely annoying because i'm paranoid about it. Or maybe i should just get a crew cut from now on lol. I'm getting mixed feedback from my friends and it still didn't help argh. I accidentally stepped and bent up the 350z catalogue on the interior page (i had it laid out on the floor with the z4 for comparison). Is that a sign?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:45 PM
xjongsangx80

O.K don't get me wrong. I love my Z and I will continue to do so.
But if I'm in the situation like you, I would pick the Z4.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Zeromus

The Z4 is a beautiful car - one of the only cars in its class to give a Z a run for it's money in the looks department. However, I'm not a fan of convertibles. If you can wait a year or so, the Z4 coupe is coming out; and if price is not an issue, I would go for it. I have a pic on my computer of it, but I'm not exactly sure how to post it even though there have been numerous threads explaining it, haha. You should be able to find pics of it on the internet with no problem. My love for the Z heritage, and the fact that BMW's are expensive as hell to maintain is what kept me from waiting (plus I think the Z still edges out the Z4 in looks, but barely )
Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Seth-Q8

^
That won't happen, i need to make this decision by monday. Reason is that i might be leaving the country in 3 years and i don't want to be stuck with an early termination fee.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Zeromus

Originally Posted by Seth-Q8
^
That won't happen, i need to make this decision by monday. Reason is that i might be leaving the country in 3 years and i don't want to be stuck with an early termination fee.
Hmm, in that case, go with your gut instinct and get whichever you're leaning towards most. I did that when choosing the color for my Z (90% of people told me to go with silverstone, my second choice), and I'm so happy I didn't listen to them! Good luck, and you'll be getting an awesome car whichever you choose.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Eiso

350Z looks SO MUCH better than Z4 3.0. But the fame of a BMW of course is way over teh Z. I was in the same situation b4, wondering between the Z4 3.0 and the 350Z. I try to look for both vehicles on the road....i really dont feel the "WOW" and the deep breath when I see a Z4...yea..a bimmmer nice. I really spend that money on a 2006 Grand Touring with nice wheels than a stock Z4 3.0. YOu'd get both looks and respect from bimmer status people and racers. just my point of view.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM
NzZ

I've driven both, the Z4 3.0 is a great car. Now the Z4 doesn't win praise for the traditional BMW merits (wonderful ride/handling, awesome motor sounds, practicality, stylish interior)...but it is still a solid car. The motor and tranny are first-rate. The Z4 has a tube to resonante engine noise into the cabin...sounds horrible. The interior, although styled rather strangely IMO is of better materials than the 350Z. From my experience (and this is confirmed in the C&D roadster review of 2004) the Z4 does leave something to be desired in the handling department - the car is just very darty and doesn't feel as well settled as a Z or a boxster.

There's also the issue of snob appeal: the 350Z has none. I've seen gorgeous 350Zs...FI'd with $4k rims...and friends of mine (non-car-folk) would say "why not just get a BMW 3-series with all that extra money? Those cars are so much better." What can I say? To each his own...but sadly the Z won't have the cachet of the Roundel.

Now, I think overall the Z4 is probably the better car...if you can live with the styling (I simply can't). The car is substantially more expensive than the Z. If you are getting the Z4 for less than the Z (and again you can stomach its appearance), it's a no brainer. That's not even figuring in the free maintenance. If you like the Z4, run, RUN to your dealer and pick it up. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

NzZ
Old 10-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Seth-Q8

^
You are definately right about the horrible sound the z4 resonates in the cabin. I hate it.

I'm starting to lean towards the 350z due to the navigation option now. I'm going back on monday to test drive both vehicles back to back and make my decision. Is there anything i should open my eyes to? Appreciate the help, if i do go for the z4 i will miss the friendliness of this forum.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Frankly, I don't like the sharp edges of the body and roll bars on the Z4. The 350Z looks great even two years after you own it. I is simply sexy and new. It flows better in my opinion. I actually like the older more rounded Z4's they just didn't have the power and the interior on the new ones is better. The Z4 is fresh looking but a bit sharp edged to me.

It does have cool side blinkers that like and I put some on my 350Z:

Last edited by Z_Driver; 10-30-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:19 AM
ZlleH

A bit of topic, but damn, Bro! That is a nice frikin mod! Did you install it yourself or went to the bodyshop? I'm sure there needed to be a hole drilled underneath that marker.

Originally Posted by mecinoid
It does have cool side blinkers that like and I put some on my 350Z:
Old 10-30-2005, 04:52 AM
JRinTXrog

I looked at both when I bought my Z. If it is a car you are going to keep, one of the factors I would consider would be down the road what it is going to cost me to maintain it. I really dont know much about the beemer but I do know the 3.5 in the Z is a base engine for Nissan. Any respectable garage should be able to work on it and the parts should be ready available. But the way you talk you may not be worried about money so that may not be a factor for you. I love the way a Z4 looks but you have to admit. A 350Z with a set of rims and and nice body kit looks hot.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 AM
CAN0802

As an owner of several convertibles, I have a few points to add. I test drove a Z4 several times before finally deciding on which one to buy, and finally came around to a few points that stuck.
Bang for the buck, you can't beat the 350Z when you compare the two. The extra you'd spend on the Z4 could go toward things to beef up the 350Z, and you'd have a much better vehicle.
Also, look at the top when it is in the down position. The 350Z has a hard tonneau cover, whereas the Z4 does not. Believe me, you want some sort of cover over the top, because over time, road grime will build up in the machanics of the top, and you'll end up replacing the structure. As of now, there is no real method of keeping the wind from going into the Z4's top area, so the buildup will occur. (Yes, I know they sell little covers for the areas along the side that snap into place, but they do not do that great a job of sealing the area.)
Others have also mentioned maintenance costs, so I won't go into that, but in the end, it is your car, and just enjoy whichever one you decide on.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 AM
KingOfV6

350z over Z4 all the way any day, my reasoning is the Z is more of a raw sports car with grunt, and the z4 is your girlfriends car, which she lets you drive her around in(i wish). But seriously the Z should be more suitable for you in terms of driveability. The Z4 is a car that only your girlfriend would look sexy in, i would go for a black Z4 for my g/f and, a black Z for you...just a lil dream i had. And if you want a convertible just get a black Z roadster with nav, thats one Z worth waiting for.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:38 AM
J's Z

Pick the Z for looks, performance and reliability. IMO, the Z4 is twitchy, weak and somewhat ugly (the looks have grown on me). The build quality is not up to par with other BMWs from Germany (made in SC). If you take notice, the plastic inserts on the door handles are miscolored from the other plastic bits in the cabin. In addition, all BMW trunk lids are finished inside and typically with a tool kit. However with the Z4, it is unlined and looks cheap. These are the details you pay for in a BMW and BMW has taken too many shortcuts with the Z4.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:41 AM
NeoRacer_106

Z4= Prissy high maintenance girl but can be fun when she says "yes"
350Z= down to earth all round hottie always up for a good time:P
Old 10-30-2005, 08:42 AM
itburns

Well I'm not biased toward either of these cars. so I would suggest you go with a Z. The Z4 is not a well respected car in terms of performance, which is why it is a chick car. With the Z you get performance + looks + stares. You won't find 20 magazine articles per month on a Z4, you'll be lucky to find ONE if it isn't in BMW Magazine. Go to the magazine stand any given month and see how many 350Z's are featured in the car magazines. And that's for a car that's been out about as long as a Z4, 3 years. Still generating lots of buzz, and there's a reason for that.

You are probably smart enough to figure it out for yourself that the Z is the way to go, but I hope you have found the reassurance you were looking for here.

Quick Reply: Ok Guys Honest Opinions Please