Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Regarding Nissan's Move to TN

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:21 PM
crazygideon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding Nissan's Move to TN

This most likely pre-dated the the official annoucement found on Nissan's site http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/...10113245.shtml

Below is a letter from Yutaka Katayama (father of the Z car) to Nissan's CEO

Mr. Carlos Ghosn, CEO
Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
17-1, Ginza 6-chome, Chuo-ku
Tokyo 104-8023 Japan

Dear Mr. Ghosn,

It has been a while since we last saw each other. I joined you for the first demonstration drive for the new 350Z at the Fuji Speedway. We had a good time together, didn't we?
Today I was prompted to write to you because I am very concerned about a rumor that has been going around that Nissan USA is planning to move its national headquarters from Gardena, California, to Tennessee or Texas. I was even told that the relocation is a "done deal." If this is indeed a fact, I will be much distressed.

The rumor indicated that the relocation plan may result in the disposal of Nissan USA's landmark Southern California building and relocation of its most dedicated employees. If this happens, I will be extremely saddened, so I must voice my objections to you at this time, in hopes the matter can be dropped before it goes too far.

As you know, I am 96 years old, living in retirement but still supporting international Z-car conventions. I recently returned from such a convention in Syracuse, New York. More than 40 years ago I was the founder of Nissan USA, first known as Datsun USA. I have been called the father of the Datsuns and the Z-cars, and I am now recognized for my industry contributions in the Automotive Hall of Fame in Detroit. I headed Nissan USA from 1959 through 1978, and I built a strong sales and after-sales network in America.

It was not until May 5, 1972 when we finally opened the Nissan headquarters, a nine-story trapezoid shaped building on fan-shaped property overlooking the 405 and 110 freeways. It took twelve long years of hard work. The process leading to the new building might be compared to climbing a vertical cliff with bare hands. Credit goes to those dedicated and loyal staff members who supported me. With all our hearts, we of Nissan USA and the national dealers' organization built a landmark recognizing our joint achievement in establishing a solid foundation for Nissan/Datsun in the American market. We poured our souls into the design and landscaping of the new headquarters.

I wanted every Nissan headquarters employee, then and well into the future, to occupy the comfortable environment at South Figueroa and 190th Street, and to soak up the pioneering spirit residing there. I believe this landmark should not be removed or demolished as long as Nissan exists in this market. I am proud of the Nissan monument at that location. I am sad, deeply regretful, over the notion that such a pioneering spirit can be diluted by cost-cutting calculations.

Relocation of Nissan USA headquarters is apparently intended to achieve major cost reductions in American operations. The idea seems to be supported by the executive members at Nissan, both in Tokyo and the United States. I have deep respect and admiration of your achievements. You have fashioned remarkable turnarounds at Nissan Motor Company in recent years. However, I must oppose the removal of Nissan USA headquarters from where it exists now. It would mean a loss of the prestige that Nissan has established in America. The headquarters organization may have fattened unduly during the past two and a half decades, and it may be necessary to reduce the fat, but this could be accomplished without relocating the headquarters.

The Southland is the birthplace of Nissan USA and its automotive culture within the United States. If headquarters is moved, Nissan will lose its Los Angeles billboard signature. Its image will suffer. I hope that current executives at Nissan Motors have the wisdom to reconsider the relocation idea. In the 1980s Nissan lost huge assets in the United States when the "Datsun" label was removed from its products. I do not want Nissan to make a similar public-relations mistake now.

Very sincerely yours,

Yutaka Katayama
Old 11-14-2005, 10:02 PM
crazygideon

This memo was circulated around the corporate office in Gardena. I recieved it from a friend who's brother is an NNA employee.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
potator

How high up in terms of rank is he in the Japanese Nissan headquarters? (The father of the Z car, I mean). No matter how high a Nissan North America employee is, in this case the CEO, Ghosn, doesn't the original headquarters in Japan still have final say in everything and anything? So if Nissan of Japan wants Nissan North America to do something or to not do something, isn't it their authority? It's their company that they brought over to the states, is it not? It just confuses me how someone from the original motherland of the Nissan foundation has to bring himself to send a letter like this to some person named Carlos Ghosn.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:02 PM
norapat01

With his achivement, seniority, and respect....Mr. Yutaka would be somewhat similar to the level of a Retired-Emperor in the Tokugawa era.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:05 PM
bamyi

Originally Posted by potator
How high up in terms of rank is he in the Japanese Nissan headquarters? (The father of the Z car, I mean). No matter how high a Nissan North America employee is, in this case the CEO, Ghosn, doesn't the original headquarters in Japan still have final say in everything and anything? So if Nissan of Japan wants Nissan North America to do something or to not do something, isn't it their authority? It's their company that they brought over to the states, is it not? It just confuses me how someone from the original motherland of the Nissan foundation has to bring himself to send a letter like this to some person named Carlos Ghosn.
because carlos ghosn IS the CEO. HE makes the final decisions. Lots of japanese automakers don't have japanese CEOs. Oh, and Ghosn works at Nissan in Japan.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:43 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all a PR thing. That letter was probably written to be distributed to NNA HQ employees and not really for the purpose at which the contents suggests. I have a very hard time believing that Katayama would include some of that content to Ghosn. Some of that content was put there for those readers who dont know the background, which Ghosn knows very well.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by VandyZ
Its all a PR thing. That letter was probably written to be distributed to NNA HQ employees and not really for the purpose at which the contents suggests. I have a very hard time believing that Katayama would include some of that content to Ghosn. Some of that content was put there for those readers who dont know the background, which Ghosn knows very well.

I agree....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:56 PM
LATEZ

I disagree
Mr. K often attends events held at NNA including local z meets ..NNA was built in Gardena, torrance area for the reason that many Japanese americans reside here and it WAS a respected company in the community till this move. Ghosen has no respect for its current employees or the history of Nissan.he only cares about making money..maybe Mr.Ghosen can answer this question (why did you sell part of the campus, then complain that there is no room for growth) also you have outsouce the call centers to India like many other major companies ..this jus shows me where this company is headed. I hope los angeles ban all your advertisment in this city maybe the lost of some sales will have a direct effect to your pocketbook. OH YEAH Mr.Ghosen if you think this move will not affect Nissan wait till you find out who moving into this campus...