Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Poor Decision: No All Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Mr Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's strange. Most of the reviews/comments I've heard say the Z is like riding on rails. That was my experience during my test drives. Hopefully that will be borne out when my new '06 arrives!

Originally Posted by tonystark
Most of the time (if not all of the time) the Z gets props for pure power but gets slammed for poor handling compared to the other cars. If Z’s had AWD they would blow both cars out of the water. Maybe they should have held off on production for another 6 to 12 months to incorporate an AWD option to compensate for what writers have identified as its poor handling.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 AM
thezedsled

AWD isn't as a big of a deal as most people think. It does very little to improve cornering and even less to improve overall performance. There is a reason why cars like the STI and EVO come with AWD, because they are born from the rally circuit where road conditions pretty much demand it. The Z on the other hand is not geared or born from the rally circuit and if you drive it off road you are committing a cardinal sin and deserve sexual molestation from a grizzly bear. AWD would not only be a break in tradition for the Z but it would be enough to change that car to where it would no longer be a Z in my opinion. The extra cost is not only unjustified but is pretty much useless on a sports car that is intended for the track.

Look at all the high end road handling monsters like the Z06, NSX, Elise & ect. They are living proof that a properly balanced RWD car is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
thezedsled

Ohh, yes, one more thing! My previous car was an 03 Cobra. And it is my general opinion from experience owning both that the Z is far superior to it in terms of handling. In fact the Z is superior in pretty much every way except power but you can fix that with a turbo so no big deal there...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:34 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD would break from the heritage of the Z. One of the key aspects of the 240 was it's affordability as it is with the 350. Plus the "stuffing" of newer technologies and more features is what killed the Japanese sport car market in the mid 90's (300zx, Supra, RX7). Everyone priced themselves right out of the market they were trying to hit.

And I prefer RWD

Last edited by failsafe; 11-30-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:37 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to mention that an AWD 350Z would compete with the Upcoming GT-R and G35CX
Old 11-30-2005, 10:43 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Also refer to the Audi R8 which is RWD:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir8-01.html
Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 AM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Also consider that most of the cars the Z competes against in terms of market segment are RWD. As nice as it would be you can't ignore Nissan's unwavering loyalty to the bottom line... money.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:58 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe its where I have years of experience on FWD cars, but I can corner and out handle my Z in my FWD S40 anyday.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
DeeZ

i dont think this car would be good as a AWD

there are diff types of cars out there and the z is a RWD car....IMO it shouldnt be anything else.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM
thezedsled

It's weird how some people think that AWD is so superior to RWD on the track. What are they basing this on?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:30 AM
ZlleH

But what if you put the exact same experienced driver in both car and let him do a time attack. You can't gauge a car's corning ability by putting different levels of drivers in each car.

Originally Posted by sq40
Maybe its where I have years of experience on FWD cars, but I can corner and out handle my Z in my FWD S40 anyday.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:39 AM
tonystark

Originally Posted by thezedsled
It's weird how some people think that AWD is so superior to RWD on the track. What are they basing this on?
I don't think that anybody said anything about the track. I did talk about bad weather driving.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Perhaps you should look into getting an STi or Evo???

1. The Z is with-out-doubt not made for winter driving.
2. AWD in the Z would no longer make it a Z. THink of the past Z's. (heritage)
3. AWD=Rally (or Truck) RWD=Drift.
4. The Z handles GREAT IMO. I can't see making it AWD would help anything, add weight, loss of power. Yes AWD does help a little in handling, but are you willing to sacrifice everything else and make the car heavier and less powerful?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:13 PM
bghoward

I find it interesting that people think AWD handles better than RWD. AWD lets you exit corners faster because you have more traction to apply the power with, it has little to nothing to do with your cornering speed (assuming track conditions are good). AWD does not make a balanced car and in most cases AWD cars have more understeer.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:21 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by ZlleH
But what if you put the exact same experienced driver in both car and let him do a time attack. You can't gauge a car's corning ability by putting different levels of drivers in each car.

Your Totally Right. I just feel that im a 9/10 on FWD and a 4/10 on RWD cars.. The Z is my first RWD Sports Car (Had a couple of Trucks) and Its difficult for me to gauge when Im about to loose the tail end in a high speed turn compared to my experiences in FWD. I can powerslide Curves all day long in my turbo volvo and be spot on where I'm going to wind up 99% of the time. I guess its just what your used to.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Your Totally Right. I just feel that im a 9/10 on FWD and a 4/10 on RWD cars.. The Z is my first RWD Sports Car (Had a couple of Trucks) and Its difficult for me to gauge when Im about to loose the tail end in a high speed turn compared to my experiences in FWD. I can powerslide Curves all day long in my turbo volvo and be spot on where I'm going to wind up 99% of the time. I guess its just what your used to.
That Volvo wouldn't happen to be a blue V70R would it?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM
ZlleH

The Z is my first RWD car as well. Actually, it's my first car that was higher then 110hp as well. So you can just imagine how I'm trying to get used to RWD as well as all the new HP

I will say this though, I find RWD much more fun then FWD. Love the fish tailing(the deliberate ones)

Old 11-30-2005, 12:29 PM
tonystark

Okay, what would help the Z move up in handling over the RX-8 and Mustang? I put AWD out there cause that seems cheaper than redesigning the car. Again look at those addresses I provided. It is insulting to think that the RX and Stang can handle better than the Z but that is what the pro's have come up with. I can only conclude that that the lack of handling is just an indication of an oversight on nissan’s part.

Besides if AWD is that bad, why would nissan be looking into adding that to its HIGH END sports cars? Can't be that all bad if the idea is already on the table.

A STi - lmao! Nice car but gees if you are gonna pay that much you might as well get a M3. Much more class AND bmw’s are @ss magnets -lol!
Old 11-30-2005, 12:41 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tonystark
Okay, what would help the Z move up in handling over the RX-8 and Mustang? I put AWD out there cause that seems cheaper than redesigning the car. Again look at those addresses I provided. It is insulting to think that the RX and Stang can handle better than the Z but that is what the pro's have come up with. I can only conclude that that the lack of handling is just an indication of an oversight on nissan’s part.

Besides if AWD is that bad, why would nissan be looking into adding that to its HIGH END sports cars? Can't be that all bad if the idea is already on the table.

A STi - lmao! Nice car but gees if you are gonna pay that much you might as well get a M3. Much more class AND bmw’s are @ss magnets -lol!

Reread the articles. In both they mention that the 350Z was the better handler and more of the pure sportscar...

The RX8 won for being entertaining to drive slow, and the Mustang won for Retro styling and brutish V8 power off the line.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
sq40

Originally Posted by mhoward1
That Volvo wouldn't happen to be a blue V70R would it?

No, Tricked out Silver S40 1.9t, I have a pretty good list of mods;

Ported and Polished Exhaust Manifold, Ported and Polished Intake manifold, Intake, 3" exhaust, Upgraded Mits 14t turbo, 550cc Injectors, Upsolute ECU, TurboXS MBC, Metal Turbo Ducting, VMS ultra Bore throttle body, 2" Drop, ADR DV8 Wheels and the best stereo in the world (really).

Plants about 275hp on the ground at 18psi.

Quick Reply: Poor Decision: No All Wheel Drive