Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

you guys do your own oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Gralark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question you guys do your own oil changes?

I'm the kinda person that doesnt let anyone work on my rides unless its something i just cant do or have the time to do. So with something as simple as an oil change, i always do them myself. I really dont wanna take a chance on something gettin screwed up over such an easy task as an oil & filter change. I have heard horror stories of stripped out drain plugs, techs makin a mess all over with the drained oil, etc......
Anyways to the point. With my Ram i could just crawl under it and do the change with no jacking up. With my Grand Prix there is a cross support that i can get my floor jack under and jack up from the center and then support with jack stands. Well with my Z i do not see any location to jack it from underneath, and the manual only shows the 4 tire replacement jack points along the sides which is no good.
What do you guys use? Just ramps? I was thinkin of gettin a lift put in my garage, u can get them for about $1000 and would be really sweet for oil changes and anything else i may need to get underthere comfortably for.
Just curious on what method you other do-it-yourselfers use.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:20 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I just use 2 jacks and a jack stand. First lift the side up with the jack on one corner then stick a jackstand under. Then replace the jack underneath the oil pan carefully placing it so the jackstands spoke doesn't poke a hole in it. Repeat on the other side. Throw a spare tire underneath so you don't get crushed. The worse part is removing the cover. There's a bout 15 bolts so air tools will come in handy.

I hated removing the oil filter from the Grand Prix. It was such a mess every time.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Thumbnails you guys do your own oil changes?-350jackpoints.jpg   you guys do your own oil changes?-350-jackpoint2.jpg  
Old 11-30-2005, 01:30 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

<<Just curious on what method you other do-it-yourselfers use.>>

I use ramps. I used to do the jack up the car/jack stands bit, but the ramps just seemed a better fit for me.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:35 PM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use whatever is easier at the time. Ramps if I'm just changing oil and I jack it up if I am prepping for an autocross.

Side note: I have found no need to remove the underspoiler to change the oil. It leaks onto the plastic but I just soa it up with some shop rags.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 PM
spacemn_spiff

I use ramps too, Way too easy than jack stands.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
failsafe
....for your health

My car is too low to use ramps . I actually have to jack from one of the side points to get my car high enough that I can slide the floor jack under the center point. Such a pain.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM
skeleton jack

Nah. My oil changing days are over for now. (still single) straight to the dealer. And pls stamp my book biatch.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 PM
hypeiv

yea I did my first one then I called the dealer and asked how much it would cost if i provide the oil and filter and they said $10 so I was like wow I am wasting my time doing it myself. I still buy mobil 1 and my k&n oil filter i just let the dealer put it in and like skeleton jack said they mark it as a service in their computer. Unless you dispose of the oil illegally I don't think you can save much money doing it yourself... you have to just like doing it.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:23 PM
juliosuburban

I changed my own oil. The diagrams provided were very useful, thanks failsafe.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I use a lift to change my oil. I just like doing it myself.

Royal Purple and K&N filters
Old 11-30-2005, 03:33 PM
zzz350

I do it, I don't trust the burger-flippers that are disquised as oil monkeys. No one cares for my car, like I care for my own car. I just drive my right front wheel up on a curb and change the oil. It makes it simple and quite accessible, then I dispose of my oil free at a AutoZone by my house.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:19 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by Gralark
I'm the kinda person that doesnt let anyone work on my rides unless its something i just cant do or have the time to do. So with something as simple as an oil change, i always do them myself. I really dont wanna take a chance on something gettin screwed up over such an easy task as an oil & filter change. I have heard horror stories of stripped out drain plugs, techs makin a mess all over with the drained oil, etc......
Anyways to the point. With my Ram i could just crawl under it and do the change with no jacking up. With my Grand Prix there is a cross support that i can get my floor jack under and jack up from the center and then support with jack stands. Well with my Z i do not see any location to jack it from underneath, and the manual only shows the 4 tire replacement jack points along the sides which is no good.
What do you guys use? Just ramps? I was thinkin of gettin a lift put in my garage, u can get them for about $1000 and would be really sweet for oil changes and anything else i may need to get underthere comfortably for.
Just curious on what method you other do-it-yourselfers use.
Thanks in advance.
Buy the plastic Rhino ramps. They have them at Wal Mart fo about $25. I find these are the best. I use on my lowered G35 Sedan and my Z.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
original786

i go to a lube place, where the guy charges me 25.00 dollars flat fee, for mobile one synthetic , 5-w30 and oil filter as well..
so if your in atlanta,, let me know
Old 11-30-2005, 04:50 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

You can do it the ghetto way and park half the Z up the curb and teh other half off. Then you let the oil down the sewer drain.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:53 PM
350xfire

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
You can do it the ghetto way and park half the Z up the curb and teh other half off. Then you let the oil down the sewer drain.

Please don't tell me you are being serious about this. Oil is extremely toxic to the environment and any wastewater treatment plants. Don't do this... this is very retarded.
Take the used oil and take it to AutoZone or any place that takes used oil in for recycling.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:56 PM
oo_snoopy

I've got access to a 4 point lift and lots of quatliy tools. I can't justify not changing my own oil.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I hated removing the oil filter from the Grand Prix. It was such a mess every time.
My 98 GTP isn't bad. I just cut the bottom out of a gallon milk jug, and put it under the filter inside the suspension. All the oil goes in the jug (well, with maybe a bit elsewhere ).

As for the Z, I change my own with some homemade ramps I made from scrap 2x4s screwed together in three layers with angle cut edges. Keep meaning to buy some, but these work and I always forget. I've got long enough arms I can reach the back screws in the plastic shield without getting my body under the car, so I really don't have to lift it much.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Gralark

thx for the pics failsafe
Old 11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
skeleton jack

holy ****, i cant stop laughing. My salesman said i should keep using the special nissan oil filter.

Quick Reply: you guys do your own oil changes?