Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

WRX to Z, good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:43 PM
rymep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX to Z, good idea?

So, I've been thinking of getting rid of my WRX as of late. I have an 05 with only 15k on it (had it over a year though ) and the Z is something that is really looking good to me.

I bought the WRX because I got an amazing price on it brand new, I got it for several thousand under invoice, but unfortunately could only get an auto *pause for laughter*. I've test driven the Z a few times along with the G35 and prefer the Z. My WRX is a wagon, so going to a 2 seater would be a big change, but I really want something sportier, plus I hardly ever use the wagony aspects of my car as it is. I do love the car though, some of the only driving I do is through a canyon to a lake and back home, 60 miles of extremely twisty wide roads are about as fun as it gets, and the WRX is great through it, even with the Auto.

I also love the AWD I have, I know the G35 comes AWD, but I don't want to spend all the extra money on the G35 just for AWD.

Can someone please talk me into or out of this?

*edit* fixed the mileage, I put 5 instead of 15 accidentally

Last edited by rymep; 01-01-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM
highside107

First of all, are you using the Wagon as an everyday driver? If you are, the Wagon *may* be more practical for you, but there are plenty of us Z owners out there (myself included) who do use the Z as a daily driver. Second, I see you are from Utah. I'm assuming it snows a lot where you are? The Z isn't the best vehicle in the snow, even though there are quite a few Z owners out there that use it in the snow on snow tires as well. But there are quite a bit who garage it for 3-5 months in the winter time as well. THe Z is a great affordable sports car that is a blast to drive and has great handling as well so you'll still have tons of fun in the twisties. It all depends on what you're in the market for, a sports car or something more practical? If you need 4 seats, consider the G35 coupe if you want something sporty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the AWD of the G only comes in the sedan version, not the coupe. How's your finances? In other words, can you "afford" the Z/G comfortably after selling the wagon?

edit: If you're concerned about the Z as a daily driver, check out this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....t=daily+driver

I have 2 friends with a WRX, one wagon and one sedan. I also have another friend with a Saab wagon, which is basically a WRX under the hood. I've ridden/driven in them many a time. THey're great as a daily driver with decent performance as well, but they totally lack the "sports car" feel which you're looking for I'm assuming.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by highside107; 01-01-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Built2shredZ

From the money viewpoint, it makes no sense to sell a car with only 5k miles on it....

If performance is your #1 thing then I would stick with the slightly faster WRX. Or you might be disappointed. Only thing the Z has over the WRX is looks (which is a personal thing but I think most agree the Z is sportier / sexier looking then the WRX).
Old 01-01-2006, 08:05 PM
rymep

Thanks for the response. First off my finances are fine, when I was in the market for a new car I was looking at an STI, but the amazing deal on my WRX and the practicality of a wagon couldn't be overlooked. Unfortunately, while it is my daily driver (and only driver), I rarely use all the space. Sure it's nice to throw some skis and snowboards in, but other than those special trips up to the resort I never fill it up. How much cargo room does a Z have anyway? I've oddly enough never taken the time to just sit and look at how much I could put into one, I was always too rushed from the drive.

And yes, it does snow quite a bit here, though I try to avoid driving in snow whenever possibly, fortunately snow removal services are about as good as it gets, so in all honesty there are only a few times a year where driving in snow becomes a real hazzard.

Quick handling question: I never really had the opportunity to open it up on any test drives, I don't want to push a car that isn't mine like that, plus I don't think the dealer would be too happy; but how does it rate with the WRX?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:07 PM
rymep

Crap, sorry, that was supposed to be 15k, not 5k. I'm not crazy enough to sell a car that soon, my bad.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
From the money viewpoint, it makes no sense to sell a car with only 5k miles on it....

If performance is your #1 thing then I would stick with the slightly faster WRX. Or you might be disappointed. Only thing the Z has over the WRX is looks (which is a personal thing but I think most agree the Z is sportier / sexier looking then the WRX).
How does the WRX outperform the Z, performance-wise? Stock v stock of course. The Z beats the WRX in every catagory, straight-line , handling, and braking. Those things are lucky to dyno 180 awhp. I've absolutely destroyed my friends' WRX's from a roll on the freeway, all stock. The only thing they have on the Z is the AWD launch which is horrible for the tranny, but even then in the 1/4 mile, they're only running a mid-to-high 14 sec.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Built2shredZ

On dry roads the 350z holds it own pretty good against the WRX, but if the weather turns bad your better off with the All Wheel drive WRX....
rymep

I think he's thinking of the STI, I've only got a WRX, which in a straight line gets destroyed. I'm not a drag racer though, or I would have kept my POS Mustang (crappy, but went Hella fast)
jakesford

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ

??? I'm pretty sure a Z will walk a wrx, no wait actually i'm positive... For poor weather, rough roads ect. wrx is a nice ride. My Z is my daily and i have driven it in the ice, and it did pretty well as long as you use your brain, but i would much rather have AWD in those conditions, any other time I'll take my Z.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:13 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by rymep
Quick handling question: I never really had the opportunity to open it up on any test drives, I don't want to push a car that isn't mine like that, plus I don't think the dealer would be too happy; but how does it rate with the WRX?
I've never pushed my friends' WRX's to the limit either on handling, so I'll just go off magazine skidpad numbers here.. take it for what it's worth. THe Z pulls a 0.89g while the WRX wagon/sedan pulls a 0.86g... significant enough for me! Believe me, you'll still have plenty of fun in the twisties with the Z!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by highside107
How does the WRX outperform the Z, performance-wise? Stock v stock of course. The Z beats the WRX in every catagory, straight-line , handling, and braking. Those things are lucky to dyno 180 awhp. I've absolutely destroyed my friends' WRX's from a roll on the freeway, all stock. The only thing they have on the Z is the AWD launch which is horrible for the tranny, but even then in the 1/4 mile, they're only running a mid-to-high 14 sec.

My bad, I thought he was talking about the WRX STI
Old 01-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by highside107
I've never pushed my friends' WRX's to the limit either on handling, so I'll just go off magazine skidpad numbers here.. take it for what it's worth. THe Z pulls a 0.89g while the WRX wagon/sedan pulls a 0.86g... significant enough for me! Believe me, you'll still have plenty of fun in the twisties with the Z!
Actually the WRX wagon only pulls around 0.76 g's, the WRX STI pulls 0.86

Given the OP is talking about the WRX wagon and not the STI he will definatly notice a huge performace gain going to the 350z.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:25 PM
rymep

Oh, one more question sorry, the search isn't being very helpful. Is it really worth paying extra for the Enthusiast just for the Limited Slip Differential? I didn't have the chance to drive one with it, does it make enough difference to be worth it?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I see Utah and a AWD station wagon with snow tires. That thing will go about anyplace at anytime.

The 350Z will be a tradeoff.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rymep
Oh, one more question sorry, the search isn't being very helpful. Is it really worth paying extra for the Enthusiast just for the Limited Slip Differential? I didn't have the chance to drive one with it, does it make enough difference to be worth it?
What year are you looking at? From a dealership? I am from Utah too and have seen some good buys but would atleast upgrade to the enthusiast. Case model doesn't even have the led's unless you get an '06. I have only not taken my z to work one night this year because of weather, it's really not bad.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
rymep

Originally Posted by firulice
What year are you looking at? From a dealership? I am from Utah too and have seen some good buys but would atleast upgrade to the enthusiast. Case model doesn't even have the led's unless you get an '06. I have only not taken my z to work one night this year because of weather, it's really not bad.
I'm looking at a brand new 05 or 06. And yeah, this year I don't think I've had trouble once, well, the other night wasn't happy, but only a few inches of now up here (logan).

Are the LEDs the headlights? What difference would those make? Is it just aesthetics?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

LED are the new taillights. The headlights are xenon HIDs and make a pretty big difference. Considering you will be driving in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, I would highly reccommend an LSD. It will be giving both back wheels power instead of just one, helping you from getting stuck. I just got back from Utah on a week snowboard trip to the Canyons and Park City. It was very beautiful, but whats up with a 4% alcohol limit ??
Old 01-01-2006, 09:18 PM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Escobar
LED are the new taillights. The headlights are xenon HIDs and make a pretty big difference. Considering you will be driving in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, I would highly reccommend an LSD. It will be giving both back wheels power instead of just one, helping you from getting stuck. I just got back from Utah on a week snowboard trip to the Canyons and Park City. It was very beautiful, but whats up with a 4% alcohol limit ??
Yeah, welcome to utah. Sorry, it's late, I meant HID's and they are nice to have for sure. Are you looking at dealerships then or privately? There are some sweet deals out there this time of year. My friend has a WRX and he always wants a ride in the Z. You won't regreat the switch if you do it...unless you need the space.I have spent some time in Providence and have not seen to many Z's up there, but there are quite a few enthusiasts im the state. Check out zclubofutah.com, although it is slower this time of year.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:29 PM
ohw

Here is my opinion:

High performance + snow + only car + practicality = WRX
Higher performance + good look + more fun in summer = Z
Higherer performance + year round fun + love it or hate it styling = STi

There is no one answer for your question. Everyone buys cars for different reasons. I am sure people in Utah drive WRXs, STis, and Zs.

BTW, ”… the G35 comes AWD …” Yes, but comes only in the G35 4 dr sedan with auto.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:34 PM
rymep

Thanks for your help everyone, I guess it'll come down to more test drives and some thinking, but this pushed me quite a bit more to the Z.

...or I could just go for all out impracticality and buy the new Elise...Okay, so not really.

Quick Reply: WRX to Z, good idea?