Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Dealer wants me to pay $1500?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If the dealership wont replace the clutch (at least at a discounted price) then have a mechanic you trust quote at the job.

$1500 for a clutch job is very steep and if it's normal for a clutch to wear out in less than 10k miles, we're all in for a very, very expensive cost of ownership rate for these 350zs.

Clutches should last at least 60,000 miles under normal to moderately aggressive driving conditions. As an example, my daily driver ( 1990 Ford Probe GL ) reached 176,000 miles on the original factory installed clutch with my abusive driving on the car (canyon runs, heavy stop and go traffic, etc...).
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d!abolic
I bought an 03 about three months ago. It had 22,000km on it and now has 29,000. Apparently, the clutch just died and they're gonna want like $1500 for parts and labor. They're saying it's not covered by warranty because it's wear and tear, but another Nissan dealer inspected the car prior to selling it to me and said it was fine. Correct me if i'm wrong, but there is no way that clutch should have gone from "fine" to "dead" in 7,000km! Aren't they responsible for either not spotting that it was already badly worn when i bought the car, or the faulty mechanics that caused it to wear after only 7,000? Dammit, that thing stunk all the time, and for no reason! Even when i drove slowly and carefully, it still stunk. Why should i be paying for this?!

Don't feel too bad. I bought my truck new in '97 and spent about 6-$700 for the extended 7 year 100,000 warranty. After the initial 3 year warranty I had a big problem with the rear end going bad. Took it in under the extended warranty and they would not even look at it on a rack at ALL!! I practically had to force the service manager to get in the truck so he could hear it. he eventually admited he could hear it but said there was nothing they could do because it was working ok and was not a constant noise.

Yes it was metal grinding form the differential.

Truck ended up dieing in the middle of an intersection and I had to pay $1,000 out of my own pocket to have it fixed by a private machine shop, not to mention the $700 for the extended warranty.

Thanks to Santa Rosa Nissan they will never get business from me again.

Are you A holes listening????

Yes that means I will be buying my Z from Petaluma Nissan in May

Needless to say the only thing I have paid extended warraties for since, are for cell phones and nothing else, EVER!

HUGE waste of money.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Kevin3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, the beauty of buying used. It sucks that you never really know what the previous owner(s) did to the vehicle! $1500 is way too much to get it fixed, you should get an estimate from somewhere else.

My guess is that your mechanic inspection before purchase was a big joke like a lot of them are. It is sad that people go to them for a reliable and trustworthy inspection, but they can tell you whatever they want b/c most customers don't know if the car has any potential problems or not...thats why they went to them in the first place.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:44 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by Anomaly
If the dealership wont replace the clutch (at least at a discounted price) then have a mechanic you trust quote at the job.

$1500 for a clutch job is very steep and if it's normal for a clutch to wear out in less than 10k miles, we're all in for a very, very expensive cost of ownership rate for these 350zs.

Clutches should last at least 60,000 miles under normal to moderately aggressive driving conditions. As an example, my daily driver ( 1990 Ford Probe GL ) reached 176,000 miles on the original factory installed clutch with my abusive driving on the car (canyon runs, heavy stop and go traffic, etc...).
I got over 120k miles before having to replace the clutch on my 1986 prelude, thats the advantage of having a low HP car, stuff lasts longer on them usally I think the Probe only had 110 hp back then...

Clutch wear depends on two things
1) If your good a driving with a clutch
2) If you race / drive hard most of the time.

Lot of people think there good at driving a manual but actually suck at it. I have 2 friends that completely suck at driving manuals but in there mind they think there awesome drivers.. <shrug>

I would imagine you should be able to get between 60k-80k out of the stuck clutch if you don't abuse your car. Thats the problem with used cars, don't know how teh previous driver drove the car.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by Chad68
Don't feel too bad. I bought my truck new in '97 and spent about 6-$700 for the extended 7 year 100,000 warranty. After the initial 3 year warranty I had a big problem with the rear end going bad. Took it in under the extended warranty and they would not even look at it on a rack at ALL!! I practically had to force the service manager to get in the truck so he could hear it. he eventually admited he could hear it but said there was nothing they could do because it was working ok and was not a constant noise.

Yes it was metal grinding form the differential.

Truck ended up dieing in the middle of an intersection and I had to pay $1,000 out of my own pocket to have it fixed by a private machine shop, not to mention the $700 for the extended warranty.

Thanks to Santa Rosa Nissan they will never get business from me again.

Are you A holes listening????

Yes that means I will be buying my Z from Petaluma Nissan in May

Needless to say the only thing I have paid extended warraties for since, are for cell phones and nothing else, EVER!

HUGE waste of money.

i made the mistake five years ago paying $600 for an extended warranty for a new jetta. It was a suckers game. The insurance co. who underwrites the policy would find excuses not to pay for the warranty work....i canceled the policy in a heartbeat..... sold the VW after 34K miles. Never, never pay for any extended warranty ever again. LOL
Old 01-03-2006, 04:05 PM
davidf

You need to have a dealer run your vin. number for any history problems in the past under warrany, if there are clutch issues in the past then it's time to put on your boxing gloves, big ones.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
DAYTONA-ZED

Originally Posted by Chad68

HUGE waste of money.
Exactly. Never purchased an extended warranty and have not regretted it. I cant even get my dealership to fix any TSB issues under the present warranty. Why throw more money away.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:31 PM
true

:mamoru:

Good luck man. You aren't gonna get help from them at all. It's a wear/tear item.. basically he said she said... all they have to do is blame it on you, the driver. Thats it.

The one and ONLY way you might get somewhere is contact corporate and see if they might do some kinda one time goodwill swap for you.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
suaveups

Not to be mean ,but r u sure its the clutch....what is it doing?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:49 PM
zman1910

Even if you have to replace the clutch buy one on your own and take it to specialty Z shop. It should cost about $350 - $500 for the labor. The shop I know of charges $350. For $1500 you can get a damn good clutch or go back to the stock one and save about half...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM
zman1910

Get the stock clutch from Jason or www.performancenissanparts.com
Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 AM
04silverzcoupe

Originally Posted by zman1910
Get the stock clutch from Jason or www.performancenissanparts.com
i know im bringing up an old post but who is jason?
also to the op whatever ended up happening? im in the same boat right now. bought an 04 with 19.5k now has 26.5 k and dealer says clutch is going out. but theyre only wanting half what your dealer wsanted
Old 02-24-2006, 06:55 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
sounds fine to me. clutches dont last that long. just diy if u have the tools. the disc wont cost more than a few 100 bucks, pressure plate should be fine. u bought a used car.

and yes a clutch can go from fine to dead in a matter of a few hundred miles, let alone 7k km.
They can also go from "just broken in" to "toast" in 5 passes down the 1/4 mile strip. Trust me.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Hypnoz

At a reasonable price, what would the total cost be to replace a stock clutch? (labor, clutch, etc)
Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
i know im bringing up an old post but who is jason?
also to the op whatever ended up happening? im in the same boat right now. bought an 04 with 19.5k now has 26.5 k and dealer says clutch is going out. but theyre only wanting half what your dealer wsanted

jason is the MAN at performance nissan...lol
Old 02-24-2006, 11:41 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I think your SOL. The only chance might be if you have a checklist from the dealer where you bought the car as part of the purchase papers showing the clutch was good. But even then you will probably be told you wore out the clutch.