Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why Did you get a 350z over a WRX STi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 AM
garrettjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zpak
Naw, I like the STi. Read post #80 and #71. I respect the STi from an automotive perspective because you can't argue that it's not a great performer. I've driven it, and I have to say, it's a pretty damn awesome car.

And I don't feel a surgeon is "sub par" based on the car he drives (that IS crazy), but that was just an example of how image plays into profession. I could have said a U.S. Congressman or the Pope.

My original point was that some cars (like rally cars) are associated with a certain image (younger crowd, ricer-racer, etc), and these aren't values assigned by myself but by society as a whole. Perhaps unfortunate and a generalization, but that's the reality.

Therefore, there is occasionally some disconnect or dissonance if you're supposedly professional or in a position that commands a lot of gravity but are zooming around in a 2-Fast-2-Furious machine. Some folks can pull it off, some can't. But if you're happy with what you have, regardless of societal image or whatever, I say power to you.
Funny you say that ZPak, because I work for a Hospital in Northern California as a Systems Analyst. I know two doctors who also have STIs and they are great guys and very respected by their peers. Many of their associates own the typical BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. The STI is not all that Juvenile when you consider the price and technology, as well as the functional bodyparts, and rally heritage history. A doctor with an STI is cool in my book!

Granted, I could see someone looking at them with disdain or dissaproval, but hey you get that with almost any car, depends on the person doing the judging.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by garrettjj
Funny you say that ZPak, because I work for a Hospital in Northern California as a Systems Analyst. I know two doctors who also have STIs and they are great guys and very respected by their peers. Many of their associates own the typical BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. The STI is not all that Juvenile when you consider the price and technology, as well as the functional bodyparts, and rally heritage history. A doctor with an STI is cool in my book!

Granted, I could see someone looking at them with disdain or dissaproval, but hey you get that with almost any car, depends on the person doing the judging.

This is all too true, and such as it is, we should have more people in this world like you (open-minded). Were these doctors young guys (like residents) or the older, austere, gray-haired attending types?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:13 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

b/c I didn't want an ugly car that sounds like a lawnmower.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Balishag

its funny how Z's try to rival STi's the same way STi's try to rival evos and srt4s. if u go on the nasioc forums its true lol.

why isnt the Z compared to the s2k as much? they seem more like competitors to me than the STi.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Balishag

Originally Posted by showstoppertk
b/c I didn't want an ugly car that sounds like a lawnmower.
i guess u can call me the reverse of wut the thread title says, for me it was btwn a Z and an STi. and for 5 months i was really leaning towards a Z until the final 3 weeks when i decided for the STi. it was more or less a utility factor in the end, i love the looks of both cars tho, the Z coulda been had for much cheaper. but another thing is, i dunno how long a lot of u Z drivers spend on the road, but i drive up and down btwn LA and san diego a lot and the Z can barely hold my laundry.

ill agree for the most part, subarus seem to have an eccentric body styling to their cars. but its really a car u fall in love with the more u look at it... atleast it was for me. the "4door- grocery" thing isnt for everyone i guess, but its actually not as big and "family car" as it looks

i gotta disagree with the lawnmower thing. that boxer rumble is such a rare yet awesome sound to hear on the road. Z's sound great too, but im starting to see/hear too many of em. and im not even counting the G's that i see. *sigh* but even so, i do have a few regrets about not getting a Z. some of those weekend nights r jus begging for a 2 door sports car. packing a ton of drunk f**ks in my little STi is startin to get lame....
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
garrettjj

Originally Posted by zpak
This is all too true, and such as it is, we should have more people in this world like you (open-minded). Were these doctors young guys (like residents) or the older, austere, gray-haired attending types?
Older guys 40's and 50's. But I'm fairly sure the STI is not their only car. I need to ask what else they drive...Hehe, they probably do have a BMW or Mercedes, etc. in their stable as well. Come to think of it there are A LOT of others cars that have less curb appeal than an STI that I see in the Physician parking lot. I was thinking about it today while at work, you got me checking out their rides

As far as the sound of the STI, it's definately one of the best sounding 4 cylinders out there. It does not sound like your average, tinny 4 banger. It has a deep rumble at idle and when on the throttle with boost it sounds throaty and mean, think-Grrrrrrrr. The V-6 in the 350Z and G35 is different, but smooth, deep and very intoxicating as well. I think it's one of the best sounding 6 shooters out there, damnit I just wish it came with boost from the factory like the previous Z. As far as looks, well I have to agree the STI has looks only a mother could love. It is unique, outlandish and has some subtle, yet agressive lines which I find exciting. Despite being boxy shaped it does have a low drag coeffecient of .33 and weighs in at 32XX lbs. The Z is more attractive, appealing and sculpted. However, I do think the STI looks more imposing on the road with the front scowl, large scoop, big wing, Brembos, Hi-po tires, BBS wheels and associated turbo sounds.

Last edited by garrettjj; 01-18-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:00 PM
V8killer2pt5

Wink wow

Originally Posted by Willie Dynamite
Exactly, those two cars are totally different. And of course the majority are going to say the 350z is better, you're on a 350z forum.

I like the superficial people that believe others think better of them because of their car. Do you really need a car to boost your self esteem?

And then there's the one guy that says a FI Z will beat a STI, yeah lets compare a modded car to a stock car.

To the people that complain about the wing, it is removable. Or you can replace it with a wrx wing and I actually like the look without a wing.
^^^ A good honest remark.
After going through some of the pages I was shocked at the childish remarks, yet these same people claim the Sti is driven by kids and it's ricey? I was in the market for another new car after selling my Range Rover a few years back and faced with a few choices. First I wanted to avoid the highend cars since I was sick of costs and maintenance. I test drove the Z, Evo and Sti, these being the main contenders. All were about the same price, what killed the Z was it lacked the grunt, usable trunk, good visibilty to the rear and a practical mod-reliabilty factor. I loved the looks and feel on the road, the Evo on the other hand was very sharp but also lacked the punch at least until you opened the revs up. This is just a quick overview leaving out alot of good and bad points. The Sti was not as sharp as the other two, but it had grunt and torque down low. What sold me was during the research I found a club which had affiliations with a dealer who does modding and warranties it. That was my selling point, now to those who say it's ricey I guess it's taste. As for the comment on high insurance, lol not really if your a good driver/record. For the high cost of maintenance, that's a joke 2 years and nothing more than oil changes. Yes it's not pretty, and I don't use my car to pick women up. Most of the guys in our club unlike the consensus here are in the late 20's, 30's and even 50's. Also quite a few married, and from all backgrounds, cops, wall street types you name it. In the end it's just a choice like any other so I'll leave it at that. I also own a G35 and love the Z, so I guess I am a car enthusiast.