Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120+ psi oil pressure and dealer's not worried

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:18 AM
archen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120+ psi oil pressure and dealer's not worried

I got my Z back from the dealership and anytime I get near 3k RPMS my oil pressure spikes above 120psi. I say it's major bs that they're not worrying about it going that high cause I sure as hell am. Even at idle it's running about 90psi. I've been on this mother before and I've never seen my oil pressure near 120 let alone above. After a while of driving it drops down to about 30/40 at idle but once I'm accelerating it climbs quick again to 120 range. Any ideas? Should I smack the mechanic that's telling me not to worry?
Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 AM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all good... some oil psi is good... having little psi is bad.. i see the same thing on mine, ive heard of many people saying that the psi gauge is at 120 fpr the first 5 minutes of driving in the morning during warm up...

also imagine when peeps drive their cars hard down a deserted road or something... that psi gauge is always gonna be at 120+ cuz yer at full throttle.... k pz
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet that the oil pressure sender is going bad. What, if any, mods have you done to the car?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Mr.Jadkowski

Being in PA, in the winter, I'm pretty sure this is normal. I have to be careful not to exceed 120 psi in the morning for about the first five minutes of driving. On a cool/cold morning (in AL, so this is around 35-40 degrees), just after starting the car and letting it idle for a minute, anything over 2500 rpm will peg the oil pressure gauge. I just take it easy for the first five or ten minutes until the oil pressure is coming down towards normal. You could try changing the oil to a lighter weight if it's really becoming a problem.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:57 PM
archen

yeah to answer everyone's questions, no mods to the car, and I've had it in a pa winter before and it still never got above or near 120psi so it just seems a little odd to me. Unless hte oil is an extremely high viscosity, which I dont' see it being that much different than the oil they put in the first time through, there's no excuse for it being that high. the only thing im really worried about is blowing something in the motor whenever I'm on it. even after warming it up and driving regularly below 3000rpm for a while, like 15-20 minutes, the oil pressure still rises dramatically with acceleration. I'm going to take it to another nissan dealership and see what they have to say about it. I'm moving to alabama for the air force in a week here and I dont' want to take a 900 mile road trip with a possible problem. any insight?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:02 PM
rmesola

I would switch to synthetic 5w30 oil and replace the filters... that's a start (unless this was done recently)

then if it's still high PSI despite that, something is wrong... either the pressure sensor, or there is a blockage in the oil pathway...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:24 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by archen
yeah to answer everyone's questions, no mods to the car, and I've had it in a pa winter before and it still never got above or near 120psi so it just seems a little odd to me. Unless hte oil is an extremely high viscosity, which I dont' see it being that much different than the oil they put in the first time through, there's no excuse for it being that high. the only thing im really worried about is blowing something in the motor whenever I'm on it. even after warming it up and driving regularly below 3000rpm for a while, like 15-20 minutes, the oil pressure still rises dramatically with acceleration. I'm going to take it to another nissan dealership and see what they have to say about it. I'm moving to alabama for the air force in a week here and I dont' want to take a 900 mile road trip with a possible problem. any insight?
I wouldnt worrie about it and drive it normal.. and if something happens its under warranty, and if they threaten not to cover it, you have record proof you went to the dealer with a problem and they did nothing.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:09 AM
zzz350

i think that is normal for this engine. I used to have the same concern and talked to a mechanic friend of mine (not a Nissan guy), he said that you want that pressure. During warm up it is totally normal to have a reading like that.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Same thing happened on mine, the sensor was bad...Nissan dealers for some reason hate doing warranty and will tell you everything is "normal"
Old 01-22-2006, 10:02 AM
plumpzz

Maybe cause your car is a lease and you have it TT's built and almost 600hp? But thats just a guess :-D
Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 AM
itburns

My car gets like that when it's very cold. I drive it easy to let it warm up-- I'm afraid it'll blow a gasket.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:26 AM
archen

Default yeah i wish

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Maybe cause your car is a lease and you have it TT's built and almost 600hp? But thats just a guess :-D
hey that'd be great not only if i was leasing, but if i was pushin 600. but alas I'm only driving a lowly stock 350, like half the kids my age can say that they're paying for their own anyway. anyway, thanks for everyone's input, I'm just gonna take it easy til I get it down to my base in alabama then see what they have to say down there. I read up a bit and saw that a lot of people have had trouble with the sending unit and with the pressure release valve on the '03, God bless warranties.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
rolling

like half the kids my age can say that they're paying for their own anyway. anyway, thanks for everyone's input, I'm just gonna take it easy til I get it down to my base in alabama
im kinda confused.. "kids" "down to my base" can i ask your age? if you are in the military you are no longer "kids" you deserve real respect as "men"
i can see where parents, family, and much older people would see you just as that.

espeically when you take on the duties of a Soldier/ sailor/ marine/ airman.
give yourself some respect!! dammit
Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
J3rzeyFlip
Banned

I got my Z back from the dealership and anytime I get near 3k RPMS my oil pressure spikes above 120psi. I say it's major bs that they're not worrying about it going that high cause I sure as hell am. Even at idle it's running about 90psi. I've been on this mother before and I've never seen my oil pressure near 120 let alone above. After a while of driving it drops down to about 30/40 at idle but once I'm accelerating it climbs quick again to 120 range. Any ideas? Should I smack the mechanic that's telling me not to worry?
it jus shows how much ur nissan techs know... i swear, some people that work in nissan are bunch of clueless Tards! ...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM
veilside350zTT

Yea ur sensor went out.. happened to me to.. They replaced mine free of charge.. very rare that they ever go out.. but they should fix it