Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:14 AM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

badgerz - have you had your wheels off yet to see the 'pins'? They are a single extra bolt that goes through a sleeve into the rotor. You can take it off with a socket wrench. Nothing complicated like trying to pull out a pressedin dowel pin or something like that. Are you worried about someone working on your car and putting the fronts in the rear?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 AM
TeCKNeiC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zpennies
Do a forum search to get other results. This seems to be a popular question asked about every two weeks.
+1, I thought this guy/girl was going to get his/her *** ripped the hell open for this popular question.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
sasha_khj

I'm driving my 350 in a snow, and I don't have winter tires. Pretty funny sometime, but don't drive if snow higher thta 2.5"
Old 02-04-2006, 03:38 PM
badgerZ

Originally Posted by bjr
badgerz - have you had your wheels off yet to see the 'pins'? They are a single extra bolt that goes through a sleeve into the rotor. You can take it off with a socket wrench. Nothing complicated like trying to pull out a pressedin dowel pin or something like that. Are you worried about someone working on your car and putting the fronts in the rear?
Yes. Happened to me with my S2000 and my wheel nearly fell off after all but one lug was sheared off. I'd have been in deep doo-doo had not a truck driver told me my wheel was wobbling (I wish I could tell you why I didn't feel it, but I didn't). I feel very strongly about those locator pins.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:48 PM
msmary

i will never drive my Z in the snow ever again! yeah i kinda slid of the road into a wall driving at around 10-20mph. then i just realized last week i needed new tires and got new tires. maybe thats why.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
CelticPride2

I've been running Blizzak LM-22's on 17's for three winters now (including this one), and I've had no problems whatsoever. As long as you have a proper set of snow tires and don't drive stupid, the Z can handle snow just fine.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
italiabink

Originally Posted by badgerZ
Are you using OEM 17" wheels? If not, where did they come from? Can you put them on with the locator pins? I don't want to remove my pins, which is what I need to do if I get Tire Rack wheels. Do they have Tire Pressure sensors? I'm looking to next winter, but want a separate set of tires/wheels for winter. My '06 (I'm picking it up Friday) stock wheels are 18, but 17 makes more sense for winter. BTW, how are the Blizzaks when the pavement is dry?
Rims are by Black Racing............don't have inserts for locator pins, had to be removed (simple)....I didn't bother installing the TPS from my stocks..........tires feel good in dry conditions. All questions answered!
Attached Thumbnails 350z snow-winter-wheel.jpg  
Old 02-04-2006, 10:11 PM
jdmzed33

Originally Posted by amg56
can you drive 350z in snow
A story for all you members out there. We had an ice storm in the beginning of winter. My winter car was covered in ice. I moved the Z out of the garage and moved the winter car in. Thawed it out. Moved it out. Started the Z, put it in drive, and without touching the throttle spun right where I was sitting. I had to have a second person push with me and when we finally got it moving the other person jumped in and drove it into the garage. The Z hates the snow but I hate my winter car more.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:18 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by jdmzed33
A story for all you members out there. We had an ice storm in the beginning of winter. My winter car was covered in ice. I moved the Z out of the garage and moved the winter car in. Thawed it out. Moved it out. Started the Z, put it in drive, and without touching the throttle spun right where I was sitting. I had to have a second person push with me and when we finally got it moving the other person jumped in and drove it into the garage. The Z hates the snow but I hate my winter car more.
Yup... Did that once in Wisconsin with RWD car. Stopped at a stop sign. Took my foot off the brake and spun out into some guys front yard. Never touched the throttle.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 AM
badgerZ

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Yup... Did that once in Wisconsin with RWD car. Stopped at a stop sign. Took my foot off the brake and spun out into some guys front yard. Never touched the throttle.
Presumably this was without Traction Control or winter tires.

I'm not surprised. I'm a very comfortable winter driver. My first Lexus SC300 was a perfectly good snow car for me with the stock tires (not as wide as Z or S2000 tires, but not winter tires either) and it was RWD. My S2000 was completely undrivable in snow with the performance tires I had. It's not the RWD so much as it is the tires. Weight is also a factor, but not a really big one. Biggest factor is the driver. Based on what I've read, I'll be perfectly fine with the TCS and winter tires, ideally on 17" rims, but even ok on 18's.