Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How do I tell it's a "Track" Version?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Will Pwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plazman888
I hear ya. I have the '03 Track with the nav (no Bose). I can't hook up my iPod and the iPod FM transmitters all suck. I'm thinking about replacing the stock stereo with something that has an audio in. It's not as cool as getting an iPod adapter (that would charge and let you control it from the stereo) but it's better than what I got.
I Just swapped out my stock HU in my 03 Track and what a world of a difference the Pioneer one made. Sound Quality is much better and also I can directly connect my Ipod. Well worth the investment.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:32 PM
angelzhope720

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barthelb
Before you knock the Touring, you should test drive it. I drove the Track and didn't like it so I got the Touring model.

+1 exactly what i did
Old 02-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TK2005
Yep. If you spend $30K on a car, it better have leather. I think the $1500 diff between the track and 35th (GT) is well worth it. If you just want performance, get a base model and build it up.
I bought my track because it does NOT have leather. I don't like it to begin with and its useless when auto-xing or tracking a car. You'll be sliding all over the place.

Originally Posted by TK2005
The track is $8K more than the base and for what????? A quasi-lsd, on-board nannies that take away from the driver, wind diffusers under the car that nobody actually knows does anything, and light wheels that aren't wide enough, and brakes that barely out perform the stock ones(only 12.6" I believe). That $8K will buy an aftermarket kick@ss LSD, Wilwood 14" BBK F&R, and a nice set of wheels and sticky rubber. I think the Track model is the worst value. At least the touring serves its purpose.
For most people who buy this car, I'm sure the LSD is sufficient. Being new to RWD and an LSD, I find that it offers great stability and cornering for my low-skill level. In talking to anyone who has auto-x'd or tracked for years, they will always tell you to learn your limits with the car and then upgrade as necessary to become the best driver possible. And everyone says buy a base and build it up, but to be completely honest, in my year on this board, I have yet to see many people who actually do this.

As for those "on-board nannies" as you call them, I think they are quite useful in inclement weather when daily driving. I'm glad I have them when its raining out.

The Brembo's may not offer superior stopping power, but their endurance over the stock brake system is undeniable. Ask anyone what happens if you try and track the stock brake system... you can't. It overheats and becomes unusable.

I bought the Track model because it came with everything I wanted. For now, it will serve its purpose and do it well. And you don't have to worry about Nissan *****ing about putting in aftermarket parts because unlike a CAI, an LSD isn't an easy thing to swap in and out.

Just my .02.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:22 AM
TK2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armitage
I bought my track because it does NOT have leather. I don't like it to begin with and its useless when auto-xing or tracking a car. You'll be sliding all over the place.
They make a $20 seat belt lock that firmly holds you in place. Look into one if you would like leather without sliding around.
Originally Posted by Armitage
For most people who buy this car, I'm sure the LSD is sufficient. Being new to RWD and an LSD, I find that it offers great stability and cornering for my low-skill level. In talking to anyone who has auto-x'd or tracked for years, they will always tell you to learn your limits with the car and then upgrade as necessary to become the best driver possible. And everyone says buy a base and build it up, but to be completely honest, in my year on this board, I have yet to see many people who actually do this.

For most users, the base model with no LSD will suffice as most users use the car as transport only. My suggestion of the nicer LSD comes only using the money you saved not buying the track model so it is basically free.

As for those "on-board nannies" as you call them, I think they are quite useful in inclement weather when daily driving. I'm glad I have them when its raining out.

Just like a parent that gets a nanny for unsupervised children, these nannies are for inexperienced drivers that can't control the throttle. When you can't keep yourself out of trouble, nanny is there to help you.

The Brembo's may not offer superior stopping power, but their endurance over the stock brake system is undeniable. Ask anyone what happens if you try and track the stock brake system... you can't. It overheats and becomes unusable.

You don't buy brakes for stopping power. They all have nearly the same stopping distances. You buy brakes for the trackability and fade resistance. If the stock Brembos are enough for you then the stock brakes will be too because they aren't all that different. And as I said before, getting the 4 corner Wilwoods are basically free because you are using the money you would have had to spend to get the track model.

I bought the Track model because it came with everything I wanted. For now, it will serve its purpose and do it well. And you don't have to worry about Nissan *****ing about putting in aftermarket parts because unlike a CAI, an LSD isn't an easy thing to swap in and out.

I am glad that you got what you wanted. I was just telling the OP from the perfomance standpoint he'd be better off to start with a base. I said myself that if I wasn't going to mod at all, I would get the GT model.

Just my .02.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^I'm not going to deny you don't make some valid points. However, if that was the case, there is no reason to sell more than two models of this car.

You sound like you regularly track your car, so I won't discredit your advice. However, for the average person, most of what your adding is probably overkill unless you are an avid auto-x'r or road-racer. I found that the Track model was a good go between as I develop my skills on the autocross course and the track.