Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Coupe or Enth/Per/track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People knock the base model around here quite often. Since I have a base model and I'm in the minority I will add my 2 cents also.

The main difference between the base and enthusiast is the type of differential. All base models are 6 speeds and have open-ended differentials, also known as one wheel wonders. The enthusiast comes in both auto/manual and has a viscous type LSD. You don't need TCS (traction control) with an open end differential because the "lame" wheel is your traction control. Having a LSD is a bit faster/more fun/more dangerous in the twisties. If you want a better understanding of how differentials work, I suggest you go to howstuffworks.com and look it up. Good info there.

The base model is safer (much less likely to spin out). It is the only Z model with cheaper insurance rates due to this fact. People don't realize that when they buy a model with LSD it instantly makes their insurance higher and they end up paying for it X fold in higher insurance premiums. Check out the enormous array of spinout threads on this site. You will be hard-pressed to find one that was a base model.

What is the difference of LSD from the base to the Touring??
zippo difference.
The base model does not even have a LSD, so you could say there is a HUGE difference!

Last edited by roast; 02-10-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:16 PM
lottness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have a base and I am totally happy with it. From what I can tell people are always *****ing complaining about the TCS anyways. It has the HID's, limited slip well uhm dont need it, and Cruise control, dont miss that either. In my opinion Nissan was just out to make money by getting people to spend more money for an Enthusiast model that has a few more features. The car that My Z replace was fully loaded. Padle Shifters, Heads Up Display, XM, Cruise, leather, 6 disc, it had it all and compared to it yeah the base Z is pretty bare but I dont miss it. You buy a Z for what it is, and AWESOME sports car. As far as depreciation goes the first 2 years depreciation will occur fast regardless of model, but after 2 years they hold their value VERY good. Now im talking about resale value not trade in, if you do trade in I dont care what you have your going to take it up you know where. Anyways get what you wont either way you go you will not be dissapointed if you want to spend money on extra gadgets then thats up to you. either way you cant go wrong.

Last edited by lottness; 02-10-2006 at 05:18 PM.