speed limiter removal - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

speed limiter removal

Reply

 
 
 
Old 02-10-2006, 02:47 PM
  #1  
1sneaky350z
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
1sneaky350z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: palm springs ca
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default speed limiter removal

has ne one sucessfuly removed the speed limiter? haw hard is it to install the greddy limit remover? i need to remove it for an upcomming event
1sneaky350z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:12 PM
  #2  
SpeedRcr
Registered User
iTrader: (5)
 
SpeedRcr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

you can get a reflash to remove the rev limiter
SpeedRcr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:11 PM
  #3  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I hope you mean the rev limiter and not the speed limiter...

The speed limiter is there for a reason and I would not disable it if I were you...
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:17 PM
  #4  
dscheers
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
dscheers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Panama, Central America
Posts: 965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by thezedsled
I hope you mean the rev limiter and not the speed limiter...

The speed limiter is there for a reason and I would not disable it if I were you...
What reason ? And why not ???
dscheers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:45 PM
  #5  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It frightens me that you need this explained to you. No offense but this should be common sense at the very least. You can disable the rev limiter all you want and the very worst thing that will happen is a blown motor but the speed limiter is another matter entirely. The reason cars are speed limited from the factory is because when these cars are designed and engineered they also conduct extensive testing to determine the vehicles maximum safe speed. While the car may be capable of going a certain speed there is often a point where it becomes unsafe and once they determine what that maximum safe speed is they place a limiter there so that you do not exceed it by accident. The Z is no land speed record setter and would most likely be very unsafe at that high of speed without significant modifications to it's coefficient drag profile. Not to mention at that speed if anything goes wrong you are guaranteed to die and may even take a few other people out with you! Something like a pothole or deep crack in the road or perhaps some debris on the road or even a simple tire blowout would spell a death sentence for you. The room for error decreases in parallel with the increase of speed. Just because the car can go faster doesn't mean it can do it safely...

Last edited by thezedsled; 02-10-2006 at 05:47 PM.
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 PM
  #6  
97supratt
Registered User
iTrader: (61)
 
97supratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Glendale California
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by thezedsled
It frightens me that you need this explained to you. No offense but this should be common sense at the very least. You can disable the rev limiter all you want and the very worst thing that will happen is a blown motor but the speed limiter is another matter entirely. The reason cars are speed limited from the factory is because when these cars are designed and engineered they also conduct extensive testing to determine the vehicles maximum safe speed. While the car may be capable of going a certain speed there is often a point where it becomes unsafe and once they determine what that maximum safe speed is they place a limiter there so that you do not exceed it by accident. The Z is no land speed record setter and would most likely be very unsafe at that high of speed without significant modifications to it's coefficient drag profile. Not to mention at that speed if anything goes wrong you are guaranteed to die and may even take a few other people out with you! Something like a pothole or deep crack in the road or perhaps some debris on the road or even a simple tire blowout would spell a death sentence for you. The room for error decreases in parallel with the increase of speed. Just because the car can go faster doesn't mean it can do it safely...

First of all, NO! This speed limiter of 155 is placed on vehicles that are brought into the US! The same vehicles in other countries use the same exact tires and have the same coefficient drag properties yet they dont have speed limiters. The government places these limiters to limit car crashes and deaths per year. Only an idiot will do high speeds on a pothole. The speed rating on a tire is totally different, some vehicles are equipped with Z rated tires and they still cannot exceed 155. The BMW m3 is capable of much higher speeds than 155mph, and also the BMW m5, and the supra twin turbo. Yet all these vehicles had the 155 mph speed limiter. You're telling me these cars cant do 155+ safely? Go back and do some research, then post. Thanks
97supratt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 PM
  #7  
steela2110
Registered User
iTrader: (12)
 
steela2110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 492
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Could not have said it any better myself! Speed limiters are for Government purposes only... They are equiped on all cars made, and imported to the U.S. It is not that sports cars cannot do 155 safely, it is exactly like spratt said... Cars can handle much higher speeds however the U.S. feels that if they put speed limiters on our country can cut down of car fatalities.

Originally Posted by 97supratt

First of all, NO! This speed limiter of 155 is placed on vehicles that are brought into the US! The same vehicles in other countries use the same exact tires and have the same coefficient drag properties yet they dont have speed limiters. The government places these limiters to limit car crashes and deaths per year. Only an idiot will do high speeds on a pothole. The speed rating on a tire is totally different, some vehicles are equipped with Z rated tires and they still cannot exceed 155. The BMW m3 is capable of much higher speeds than 155mph, and also the BMW m5, and the supra twin turbo. Yet all these vehicles had the 155 mph speed limiter. You're telling me these cars cant do 155+ safely? Go back and do some research, then post. Thanks
steela2110 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:02 PM
  #8  
97supratt
Registered User
iTrader: (61)
 
97supratt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Glendale California
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It sucks because we have to spend another 500+ dollars removing the damn limiters!
97supratt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:22 PM
  #9  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 97supratt

First of all, NO! This speed limiter of 155 is placed on vehicles that are brought into the US! The same vehicles in other countries use the same exact tires and have the same coefficient drag properties yet they dont have speed limiters. The government places these limiters to limit car crashes and deaths per year. Only an idiot will do high speeds on a pothole. The speed rating on a tire is totally different, some vehicles are equipped with Z rated tires and they still cannot exceed 155. The BMW m3 is capable of much higher speeds than 155mph, and also the BMW m5, and the supra twin turbo. Yet all these vehicles had the 155 mph speed limiter. You're telling me these cars cant do 155+ safely? Go back and do some research, then post. Thanks
You could not be more wrong my friend. Other countries use speed limiters too, I know this because I have been to them and have owned and driven vehicles in them. I currently hold a drivers license for Japan, Australia, Korea, Hong Kong and Thailand. So I speak to you from experience when I say that almost every country uses speed limiters these days. The reason why the speed limiter is enforced more on all vehicles sold in the US whether they are made here or imported is because we have higher safety standards than some other countries when it comes to automobiles. For instance we require shatter resistant glass on all vehicles sold where as many other countries like Japan for example does not. You can get it as an option but it is not required. We also require every motor vehicle sold to be equipped with seat belts but some other countries like Korea do not. And the speed limiter is not 155MPH for all vehicles as you say, do your homework and you will see. The Ford GT is a perfect example as it is made and sold right here in the good ol U.S. of A. and it is limited at 220MPH, not 155MPH. And the reason why is simple, because it can safely go that fast.

Now that I have cleared that up let me retype what I said previously in a format that will be a bit easier for your brain to digest. I did not say that it isn't capable of going faster than the limited 155MPH. What I did say is that it is not capable of doing it safely and that is why they limited it to 155MPH.

Now, you do your research and then post. Thanks
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:28 PM
  #10  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Double post...
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:29 PM
  #11  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Not to mention the fact that about 1% of civilian drivers even have the skill to handle a vehicle at speeds above 155MPH. If you ask me based on the average skill level of most American drivers it should be even lower than that...
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:32 PM
  #12  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by steela2110
Could not have said it any better myself! Speed limiters are for Government purposes only... They are equiped on all cars made, and imported to the U.S. It is not that sports cars cannot do 155 safely, it is exactly like spratt said... Cars can handle much higher speeds however the U.S. feels that if they put speed limiters on our country can cut down of car fatalities.
Which is esentially what I said also with the exception of the Government comment...
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:41 PM
  #13  
Calsonic
Registered User
 
Calsonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

i'd still take it off, just because you're capable of going over it doesn't mean you have to, i just don't like the idea of having something i paid for limited

Last edited by Calsonic; 02-10-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Calsonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:43 PM
  #14  
maximus20895
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: knoxville
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

why can't we just get along?
maximus20895 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:47 PM
  #15  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Calsonic
i'd still take it off, just because you're capable of going over it doesn't mean you have to, i just don't like the idea of having something i paid for limited
You can if you want and nothing is stopping you...
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM
  #16  
jinsei888
Registered User
iTrader: (14)
 
jinsei888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Posts: 4,264
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm sorry, but 97supratt is right, agreed!
jinsei888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
  #17  
JoneZZZ
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
JoneZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago/SW Suburbs
Posts: 941
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1sneaky350z
has ne one sucessfuly removed the speed limiter? haw hard is it to install the greddy limit remover? i need to remove it for an upcomming event
soooo....what event is this you speak of?
JoneZZZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 PM
  #18  
thezedsled
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
thezedsled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

.
thezedsled is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:17 PM
  #19  
dscheers
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
 
dscheers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Panama, Central America
Posts: 965
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by thezedsled
You could not be more wrong my friend.....
German car makers started putting speed-limiters on their cars to avoid the government putting speed limits on the Autobahn.

Cars can safely go faster than the speed limit but can the average driver? Wouldn't that make much more sense, especially since most speed limiters are set at 155MPH. And the cars are WAY different.

And what if you improve tires (wider), suspension, aerodynamics, ... on your car? Why wouldn't you be able to safely remove the speed limiter?

Also, all the German cars have speed limiters in both Germany and the USA. But the German limiters are set higher.

When I bought my Sierra Cosworth, the manager of the Ford dealership was a good friend of mine. I could choose between 2 "modules" for the car: the Belgian and the German one. The German one made more HP and had a higher speed-limit. When I asked my firiend about that he started laughing and said "you should see the US module", adding that it even had less power and lower speed-limiter than the Belgian one.

Sometimes car makers put speed limiters in their cars to be able to use cheaper parts, a shrining example of this is Cadillac's use of a 112 mph speed limiter to compensate for a new automatic transmission that isn't up to the demands of higher speeds.

And for those who want to remove the speed limiter, look HERE
dscheers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:43 PM
  #20  
roast
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
roast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Okay, see?
Posts: 4,103
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

thezedsled: Let us not talk about brains digesting anything since yours is obviously having problems of its own.

You are arguing a moot point. It's obvious to everyone that speed limiters are for exactly what the name implies; TO LIMIT SPEED. The 350z without a speed&rev limiter would be drag limited, not gear limited, so there is no chance of blowing your motor. I have no idea where you pulled that idea from. Wait a second, yes I do. The same place your head is. I will also rebut another one of your failed arguments. The 155 limiter has nothing to do with extensive testing on a particular car. It's an agreement with manufacturers to limit speed to a common value, for several reasons... not simply because a particular car can't safely go faster. Another turd out of your mouth is about the coefficient of drag affecting safety. Where are you getting this crap? You are uneducated at best. The coefficient of drag by itself has absolutely NO impact on safety at high speeds. It doesn't matter if a car has a terrible cd, if it has a lack of lift and sufficient downforce it will be safe. You are also mistaken about the FORD GT. It is electronically limited to 205, not 255.

What a joke.

My question to the poster is, at which event do you plan on seeing 159 on the speedo? For some reason I'm not seeing that happen unless you have done modifications, which I doubt because if you had done modifications you probably would have removed the limiter already.

The tires are the biggest safety issue with high speeds, but the stock tires are W rated which means they are rated up to 168 (actual speed) so you do have a little room for more speed on stock tires. Anyone who has hit the speed limiter before knows the Z is perfectly stable all the way up to the limiter. I'm not sure how the car would do with 10+ mph because I haven't done it but I wouldnt expect any catastrophic changes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install a roll cage if you plan on seeing much of those speeds, though.
roast is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speed limiter removal


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: