2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Buying insurance online??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying insurance online??

Please spare me the Search speech.

In the past years whenever I have purchased "full coverage" insurance, an insurance agent had to do a 'walk around' of the vehicle and take pics of the vehicle, regardless if said vehicle was used or new, as to verify any damage.

How the hell do they do that if you purchase your insurance online?

I have found that Progressive seems to have a very good "custom" full coverage rate for me, that I am happy with paying. I had motorcycle insuarnce with them in the past and though I never filed a claim with them, I believe they are probably descent people to do business with, as opposed to Esurance, which I believe to be flakey, though I have never dealt with Esurance but they just seem kinda fly by night types. Besides the Progressive quote was even lower than those guys.

When I bought my last car, which was brand new, The damn sales lady who sold it to me had to drive me, (in my first ever brand new vehicle) 40 miles away to where my (economy) insurance company was at the time because they had to see it and take pics of it. It pi$$ed me off that I couldn't drive MY new car off the lot and had somebody drive me around for 2 hours, like I was Miss Daisy or something

What I want to do is to purchase the insurance policy with Progressive online the same day I buy the new Z. Right now I'm not using Progressive and it will be a brand new policy with them.

So how does that $hit work? does progressive send out a field agent to take the pics???
Old 02-12-2006, 12:30 PM
XtaZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you buy a insurance policy online they will fax/email your policy documentation. Then, they will generally mail you any forms/questioners you may need to fill out or sign. They also generally require you to have your vehicle inspected by a 3rd party inspection facility that you drive your vehicle over to, and they perform the walk around inspection. Usually you have 2-4 weeks to do this or they will void the comprehensive/collision portion of your policy.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can purchase insurance online from a company without storefront. But consider this. If you have an accident, do you really want to be dealing with an agent sitting in some internet insurance boiler room? Or would you rather speak to a local agent face-to-face?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:11 PM
new350z2005

progressive is a good company and you can purchase online or you can call the toll free number to be connected with a rep who can pull up your quote and go over any info that you don't feel comfortable with and answer all your questions! then you can either purchase thru phone or go online!! they mail all documents out too you and their claims service is outstanding, good comapny overall if you don't require face to face interactino with an agaent
Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 PM
zYouLater

Default On Line Insurance

If you have an accident, you do not as a general rule, deal with an agent anyway. Most insurance co.'s have you call the toll free claims number to file the claim. The local agent is really a middle man. I bought my insurance from Travelers on line and dumped my local Farmers insurance. I saved half of what I was paying to Farmers. Best thing I did. Now I have more mod money!
Attached Thumbnails Buying insurance online??-jan06350z.jpg  
Old 02-13-2006, 07:08 AM
Chad68

When I had Progressive motorcycle insurance it was through one of those local middle man type of outfits.

They charged something like $25 every 6 months for their service, plus an intitial processing fee I believe. I'm just wondering how many kinds of fees the middle man agent will find to tack onto the low online quote I got.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Swiffer

Originally Posted by davidv
You can purchase insurance online from a company without storefront. But consider this. If you have an accident, do you really want to be dealing with an agent sitting in some internet insurance boiler room? Or would you rather speak to a local agent face-to-face?
Which is exactly the reason why I stick with a local agent. If I'm in an accident, I do not want to have to wait 3 months for someone to come take a look at it. Even if the premiums are slightly higher, I would recommend going with a local company. And luckily, my insurance is still cheaper than progressive, geico, etc.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Chad68

Sweet!!!

Just got off the phone with my old middle man insurance agent and he gave me a quote that was the same as the Progressive online quote I got, including the small middle man fee, which was like $25.

The rate will be $126 a month for full coverage with a $500 deductable.

I was initally estimating $150 a month for insuarnce on a Z, so I'm happy with that.

Now I have to decide if I want to finanace $5,000 more and buy the car sooner or wait till May. Suppose I should wait

Last edited by Chad68; 02-13-2006 at 11:31 AM.