Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Where to find flood damage Z?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
myG35zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to find flood damage Z?

I have found a few damaged 350z's for under $10,000. Even though the damage was light, I would rather find a flood victim. Any idea where to look. N.O. would be a great source, but none have popped up yet.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:00 PM
bamyi

Check the New Orleans, Mississippi area.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:12 PM
XtaZee

Here is a web site to check a VIN for a flood damage.-

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) has compiled a database of vehicles and watercraft affected by Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma. The information in this database was gathered from a number of sources, including insurance companies, salvage yards and state and local authorities. As a result, the NICB has not independently verified most of the information in this database and cannot, therefore, vouch for the accuracy of this information. In addition, there may be many additional vehicles and watercraft affected by the hurricanes not included in this database. We are allowing people to check Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) and Hull Identification Numbers (HINs) free of charge as a public service to help determine whether a specific vehicle or watercraft that has come to our attention, was involved in either hurricane.

It should be noted that the NICB's database does not attempt to determine the scope of the damage, if any, to any particular vehicle or watercraft, including the fact that some vehicles or watercraft on this list may have had no damage or very minor damage, while others had extensive damage and may no longer be safe to operate. The NICB recommends that any vehicle or watercraft affected by a hurricane be thoroughly inspected by a competent mechanic of your choice prior to further use.

http://www.nicb.org/
Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That will be difficult. Buyers move the salvage or food title from one state to another to scrub it. So the new title shows no hint that the car was ever flooded.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 PM
XtaZee

Originally Posted by davidv
That will be difficult. Buyers move the salvage or food title from one state to another to scrub it. So the new title shows no hint that the car was ever flooded.
Doing this would not remove the VIN from the flood damage insurance database.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The major insurance companies got together and agreed on a plan to deal with the cars from the N.O. area. Cars are being collected, the VIN plate and license plate removed and that information is entered into a computer for the purpose of handling claims. The cars themselves are trucked/towed to a location north of the lake where they are crushed. They are going out of the way to prevent water damaged cars from making it into the used car market.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Matas

just because flood damaged cars look nice and shiny doesn't that they are in good condition. I would take a car that was rear ended over flood damage any day.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the down side of buying a flood damage vehicle? water get in the engine?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
thezedsled

I would buy one if it came cheap enough. There would still be a ton of good parts on! You could part it out and sell the parts on ebay or something...
Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Matas

Yes the engine will sometimes have water sucked up in it plus all the electronis are gone...Flood damage especially if salt water is twice worse then collision damage.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Matas

To answer your question you can find flood damaged vehicles at iaai.com or copart.com. You need and account though.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by thezedsled
I would buy one if it came cheap enough. There would still be a ton of good parts on! You could part it out and sell the parts on ebay or something...
hell yea they cant waist all thse good parts in a crusher!!!
all parts that are non-drivetrain or electronic should be perfectly fine!!
ohh i hate this kind of waist

prettymuch everything but the engine/ electronics/ carpet materials should be fine!!
Old 02-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubble
what is the down side of buying a flood damage vehicle? water get in the engine?
Water in the engine, the interior, in the cloth/leather. Rusted metal parts. Moss/mold growing everywhere.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 AM
myG35zx

My intention is to build a track car. I would rather buy a fixer upper for the cheap than buy a perfectly good one and rip it to pieces. I can do mechanicals, body is out of my realm. A new motor can be found easily. The tranny and all of the other driveline and suspension should be fine from flood damage or easily cleaned.

Any sources for the flood damage cars much appreciated.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:33 AM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by rolling
hell yea they cant waist all thse good parts in a crusher!!!
all parts that are non-drivetrain or electronic should be perfectly fine!!
ohh i hate this kind of waist

prettymuch everything but the engine/ electronics/ carpet materials should be fine!!
Even the engine would be good if it were properly rebuilt and you got all of the water out. I would say that 95% of the car would still be useable in this fashion.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:36 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flood damage cars are the worst. the electronics/wiring will be shot. you also have to deal with mold and rust on their body and interior.

look for a fire-damage vehicle. much easier to fix as its usually isolated to the front end.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:43 AM
NismoNitsuj

You would have to pay ME to get one. There's a reason why these cars are deemed total losses.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
flood damage cars are the worst. the electronics/wiring will be shot. you also have to deal with mold and rust on their body and interior.

look for a fire-damage vehicle. much easier to fix as its usually isolated to the front end.
I think that this is something that should be taken on a case by case basis. It all depends on how long the car was submerged whether or not the engine was running when it got submerged and so forth. To say that the electronics would be ruined is also not true. As long as they are properly dried out and cleaned they should work fine also with the exception of stuff that has moving parts like the head unit. The speakers would most likely be ruined but for a track car who cares about that? The engine would have little or no water in it unless it was running when it got submerged and the majority of the drive train is also sealed so unless it was submerged for a very long time most of it would just need to be cleaned up.

I had an uncle that had a little mishap with his truck last year when he was launching his boat. It got submerged completely while it was running and it took less than 3k to repair the damage. But then again his truck was only submerged for about 3 hours. So I would say is completely depends on the circumstances and exactly how long the car was submerged...
Old 02-13-2006, 10:55 AM
CNOTE

It's obvious that none of you have a flood/storm damaged 350Z... I do and so far so good! It is a 2003 PPW performance that had 3,500 miles on it. I bought it in Greenville, NH at City Line Auto Sales clascars.com they deal with stolen, damaged, salvage title vehicles. They were honest and up front about what was wrong with it... needed a new altenator and there was also something wrong with the clutch and they just said to drive it til it goes. That's what I did and now I have a JWT flywheel and an ACT race clutch. "look for a fire-damage vehicle" are you on crack?
Everything else has been fine with it and I have had it for 2 years.
Water shouldn't get into the engine unless it goes up over the intake, and in that case the entire car would be junk...
As soon as you sit in a car that has mold, you can smell it and see the water damage, you obviously would not buy a car that had that much damage. If there is water/moisture in the head or taillights, it's not worth your time and money...
"That will be difficult. Buyers move the salvage or food title from one state to another to scrub it. So the new title shows no hint that the car was ever flooded." don't know where you're getting this information? it gets scrubbed?
To be inspected in NH it first needs to be done at the DMV by a trooper.. anymore info needed let me know.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
CNOTE

They have a redline 2003 with 8,000 miles for $13,500. clascars.com

Quick Reply: Where to find flood damage Z?