Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Gaining Knowledge and Horsepower and Torque along the way..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 04:35 AM
Germanfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaining Knowledge and Horsepower and Torque along the way..

Thanks for responses to my "new to tuning" thread. With that, using search again, I have remastered my list of beginner upgrades, but of course, have some questions with the new items for anyone to answer. I want to knock this list out and have the parts in my garage and ready to install when I get back from overseas. So all the help I can get is respected and trully apreciated!
1. Ultimate Racing True Dual Exhaust W/ Ultimate Racing Y-Pipe
2. P.O.P. Charger Intake
3. Stillen Unorthodox UD Pulley Complete Package
4. Motordyne Plenum Spacer w/ MREV & MREV plus upgrade

The motordyne item raises my question about being compatible with the 2003 Z engine? On their webpage they said it was made for 2005 "REVUP" engines on the 350Z Anniversary Editions. And is it worth the Euro's/Greenbacks??
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Germanfox
4. Motordyne Plenum Spacer w/ MREV & MREV plus upgrade
You might reconsider this item. I believe that it is appropriate for the 300hp engine.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Germanfox

Thanks again davidv, do you have any suggestions on plenums or spacers for that matter. Your helping me big time here, I appreciate it.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:59 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you considered a test pipe? or HFC if you have emissions?

a cat back section of the exhaust is nice, but for half the price you get almost as good gains from the test pipes or HFC.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Germanfox

Emissions, plus the local men in blue don't take to kind to loud pipes or anything that sounds fast from more than 50 feet away!!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:21 AM
comebackZ

Go with the AAM Angled Plenum spacer as far as that is concerned. Ultimate Racing Trual Dual with Ultimate racing Y-pipe is incorrect (to my knowledge) because you can't have a Y-pipe and a Trual Dual so what you would have then is a Dual tip exhaust system. Try the AAM Trual Dual Ti exhaust(what I'm getting). I've heard great things about the PopCharger but some people have had problems with it like someone who had theirs cause the engine to stall at 100mph or something like that. Anyways check out AAM and give them a call, they'll help you decide what's best for your budget.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Germanfox

Thanks comeback Z, that exhaust was a typo, due to lists getting mixed up and also the AAM Angled Plenum Spacer was on my first list, I have heard and reviewed a lot of positive responses. What are you using for your cold air intake system? I have heard mixed reviews on the long rams not sucking as well as the P.O.P. I was looking at the Gruppe M Carbon Fiber system but was told to stay away from that by other knowledgeable members.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:40 AM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Thanks comeback Z, that exhaust was a typo, due to lists getting mixed up and also the AAM Angled Plenum Spacer was on my first list, I have heard and reviewed a lot of positive responses. What are you using for your cold air intake system? I have heard mixed reviews on the long rams not sucking as well as the P.O.P. I was looking at the Gruppe M Carbon Fiber system but was told to stay away from that by other knowledgeable members.
have you considered the the injen cai?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
mikead_99

For my 2 cents, if you don't have the rev-up motor, save some cash on the plenum and just get the motordyne 5/16" spacer. Cheap way to add volume and no need to actually replace the plenum housing.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Pop charger is arguably the best. AEM and Nismo CAI are identical, and pretty much useless compared to the injen in terms of placement. Injen leaves you open to a lot of debris and flooding the motor with water if u submerge it.

Some even consider stock the best.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Ztalker

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
Pop charger is arguably the best. AEM and Nismo CAI are identical, and pretty much useless compared to the injen in terms of placement. Injen leaves you open to a lot of debris and flooding the motor with water if u submerge it.

Some even consider stock the best.
yeah...consider stock intake with K&N direct replacement air filter.....drilled 13 quarter inch holes in the stock air box ( only on the side facing the fender and around the corner facing down to avoid sucking in warm air from the engine bay). Your engine bay would look completely stock so no one will give you any BS for mods.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

popcharger is a no brainer imo when it comes to intake, low price, short tube has been proven to give more gains then the long tube cold airs like the injen. this is why you see so many people mod their long tube into short tube. either way, the short tube, long tube the gains are minimal but why not go with the slightly better one. plus it sounds great, makes you wanna wot all the time. the only thing the cai's have over the popcharger is in the looks department. those polished long tubes look damn sexy.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:47 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks again davidv, do you have any suggestions on plenums or spacers for that matter. Your helping me big time here, I appreciate it.
motordyneengineering 5/16" Basic Plenum spacer is a winner: $235.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Germanfox

Thanks a lot everybody for helping out a rookie tuner!! This site has been a tremendous help for me. I will keep throwing out questions if you guys and gals are willing to spread some much needed, respected knowledge! That takes care of my intake mod's, now on to an exhaust so this baby can exhale!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:37 PM
bearhunt

okay another newbie, pop charger and metrodyne on order (in the mail). Full dc exhaust in the basement, header, cat test pipes, y pipes and dual exhausts. So my question, the cat pipes have threads for the O2 sensors but I wonder what I have to do so that I don't throw a MIL light. I thought I might just go catback for starters and when time and weather get better do the rest. suggestions?
Old 03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
ROGUELITE
the Zbler eLf

Originally Posted by Nexx
the only thing the cai's have over the popcharger is in the looks department. those polished long tubes look damn sexy.
i wouldn't say it's the only thing. the concept between the two is similar but
different. a cold air intake is designed to push the intake lower and away from
the engine to pull in cooler air. cooler air will give gains. this is from the same
behaviour your car has on a cooler day versus a warmer day. some cold air
intakes also convert to short rams. you can also get covers to protect the cai
from road debris.

check here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake