Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

with a great car comes great danger.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 AM
onebadfyvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
I think some of you need either better jobs or richer parents, lmao.
Sounds like you're rich.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:30 AM
[]V[]addog

i agree. I got out of school (university, Information system degree)about two years ago, and have apid for everything, live with no help, and to me Owning a beautiful Z is a dream come true. No help. I smile ear to ear everytime i see it. I'm like, damn, that;s mine. love every min of it. I dont; care is other people don;t look at ther ecars the same way. THing is I do, and it;s my car.. nothign else matters.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:41 AM
Chicken

I've driven Porsches (that was my thing over the years, still have the last one). Weeks after I completed a full restoration on a 914, it was hit and totalled by a drunk driver. *ARGH*

The last Porsche I had was a magnet for crap happening to it. My cousin broke off the door handle. *grin eeeeeee* It was backed into at a parking lot (no note) *grin EYYYEYYEYEEEE* and while stopped waiting for a parking ticket (at a parking garage gate) some lady slammed into the back of it denting things and breaking the lights and rubber. *no grin kill kill kill*

After the last one I swore I'd never get another car I liked in that way (the "too much" way). I swore off these types of cars, really. Then I bought the Z. Cracked the front bumper entering a parking garage (too low). It has a tiny crack on the back but you wouldn't see it if I didn't point it out. Maybe someone backed into it gently. The other day I noticed a small 1/2" curbing on one rim (no idea when that happened).

Moral is, you either have to try to ignore these things and move on (fix what needs to be fixed, etc.) or just get a Camry or some other car that you won't be looking at every scratch.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 AM
jamnew

Originally Posted by sean1967
get lojack perhaps? or a pager alarm?
+1 I couldn't sleep either until i got the Lojack with the early warning system. It has a chip that goes on your key ring. If someone starts your car without the chip, Lojack calls you, emails and text message you at work and home. I also bought the Master Lock steering wheel lock to discourage the knuckleheads at the mall. A pro will get around all of this because you can't stop a pro if he really wants your car, but chances are he wants the more upscale car.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:25 AM
nissansource

Work my *** off to afford all my toys... I can totally understand your worries
Old 03-09-2006, 06:32 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its only a car man. you have all the precautions (alarm, garaging, etc) and full coverage insurance. sometimes you just have to take a chance with thigns. if someone steals it then buy another.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:37 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Z is more than a car. It was a gift, and not only that it was a get well glad you didn't DIE gift. My car was from the best person in my whole life... If it was anything else (ie Civic, Aveo, whatever) I would still feel the same abotu it, but it just so happenes it's a great car to boot. Ever since the deer ran into the side of me (I made the body shop repaint it 5 times till it was almost right) im parinoid as hell. Crime is all over, the last thing I need is some low life bashing up or stealing the best object I own due to jelousy or wanting a single item out of my Z...
Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it's only a car but it sure is a nice looking one.

I find that most Americans are too hung up on their stuff and not about who they are, what they do, and how they treat their fellow man including their own spouses and brood. There are people who love their cars more than their own kids. When someone complements me on the car I tell them thank you but it's only a check written to the bank once a month even if you're doing it yourself rather than you daddy doing it it's not a really big accomplishment when you think of it.

Yeah I love the car as does my wife but I keep stressing to her that its just metal, glass, and rubber and in the really big picture of life it's meaningless.

Keep it real.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:47 AM
pbn85

maybe the title should be "with a great car comes great worries" because any car can be danger.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:49 AM
chickmagnet

Originally Posted by jdm_Z33
I dunno about you guys but I hate babysitting my Z... I can't go anywhere and leave it outside for more than 30 minutes. And if I do I have to check up on it every so often to make sure she's alright. I can't go to the club with it because I'm scared someone with tow it away to a chop shop. Can't ever leave it outside over night (if I'm spending the night at my girls house), even if I go to someplace such as Wallmart I'm worried. Now it may just be me since my last car was stolen beneath my eyes and I might be paranoid, but there's just so much thieving going on these days and stupid idiots keying/hit and running/ dinging up our cars... I love my car and all but man it's a big responsibility. Almost as if I have my own kid lol. Anyways, I'm just ranting.
I feel ya man I saved up two years to get a z.HEll i went to evey dealership in town just to test drive it over and over again. I love my Z now that i have one its great but this is reality. no car is theft proof. they have made thousands of z and just as long as you keep your insurance paid **** they can stell it and hopefull never see it again because you can get a new z and possibley a cheeper one with 0 miles str8 from the factory and maybe at a better price so buck up!!!
Old 03-09-2006, 06:59 AM
chickmagnet

man if nissan didnt make a hug amount of theese cars they would be out of our price rance for most of us. the worst thing about the z is that it is a nissan (not bently coupe). the best thing thing about the the z is that it is a nissan wich means affordable. so like i posted earlier it is you that matters most not the car people can steel car and they can be replaced but a persons life cannot be replaced so think of it that way man and hopefull your worries slow up a little. and if your car gets stolen just call your ins company, collect the check, pay your remaining balence and go get another one dude
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 AM
zedated

I understand what you're saying. Having a nice car is a PITA sometimes. You have to think about where you park it, etc. I seem to alternate between nice cars that I really like (ones that I baby) and "okay" cars that are just regular (ones I don't baby). When I had my Jeep GC, it was "okay" to me, not really fun like a Z, so I didn't worry a lot about it. If something happened to it, it was no big deal. Ironically, nothing ever happened to it. It was prolly the only car I never wrecked or dinged or anything. As I get older, I tend to believe more that our thoughts are very powerful. If you worry about something, it is more likely to happen (i.e. a self-fulfilling prophecy). For example, if I think, "Ya know, I haven't had a speeding ticket in a long time," then bam I get a ticket. So, when those thoughts happen (and they will naturally), I immediately tell myself, "We don't think that way," and immediately think about something else. It sounds nutty, but I swear it works for me.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:30 AM
stereoneeds

do what i did- call up your insurance company and over-insure your car for custom equipment. i over-insured it for 10k and its only around $15/month more. now if i ever come out and find my car gone, oh well- i just got my car plus a turbo
Old 03-09-2006, 09:28 AM
ZZ33bOI

hey man its coo! im only 23 and it cost me a arm and a leg to afford a Z and be on my OWN...even though it would be nice to be rich and have wealthy parents but too bad life sucks, you'll never get what you want! but I got something I want which is a Z! cuz i worked hard all these years..even tho im not "RICH" like some people here and say its only a "CAR" but i kno you have pride and joy and knowing you pay for that Z yourself makes u TEN times BETTER then others..I kno what you mean about you babysit your Z...because I do that too..so I understand where you commin from...
Old 03-09-2006, 10:19 AM
richardho11

Another option is to have another car to drive. I have a 1998 civic ex coupe that I drive around daily.... to from work, to the movies, blah blah blah... anytime I know I will have to leave the car for a while. I only drive my Z on the weekends. I still only have 180 miles on it. lol. I need to get out more! *sigh*
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM
99atlantic

Originally Posted by stereoneeds
do what i did- call up your insurance company and over-insure your car for custom equipment. i over-insured it for 10k and its only around $15/month more. now if i ever come out and find my car gone, oh well- i just got my car plus a turbo
not everybody agrees with insurance fraud ^_^
Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 PM
nsxster

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
not everybody agrees with insurance fraud ^_^
That's not fraud -it's taking advantage of the pricing of the insurance by the insurer.

I have an agreed-upon value policy for my NSX, that is about 5% above its market value. Every year the insurance company gives me the option to increase the value by 10% without any appraisal, so long as I agree to pay the increased premium.

Most of the time the insurance companies come out ahead.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:30 PM
SpeedRcr

why did you bother buying it if you cant even enjoy it???
Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM
milanista

Originally Posted by richardho11
Another option is to have another car to drive. I have a 1998 civic ex coupe that I drive around daily.... to from work, to the movies, blah blah blah... anytime I know I will have to leave the car for a while. I only drive my Z on the weekends. I still only have 180 miles on it. lol. I need to get out more! *sigh*
+1. You need another car to drive around on an everyday basis, or whenever you want/need to drive to more "shady" parts of town. Or do like I did, buy yourself a nice bike and start babying that.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:56 PM
iknowitsfast

I sorta kinda baby my Z, but i also waited two long yrs for it so its really special to me. But i dont go overboard, i do realize ish happens and i cant control what others do, so i simply take precautions

Quick Reply: with a great car comes great danger.