Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is something wrong with my Auto-Dimming mirror??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Ricky
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is something wrong with my Auto-Dimming mirror??

I noticed that in the daylight, when the auto-dimming mirror is on, it doesn't dim. When I drive east and the sun is setting, it's blinding, doesn't dim, but at night, it dims very dark. I end up having to it off at night because it gets so dark to the point if there is a car behind me without the headlights on, I can't see it.

In my opinion it should be on fully during the day, and not activate at night.. am I right? Also, my side mirrors don't dim, are they suppose to?
Old 01-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mirror dims at night only to prevent glare from cars behind. I agree, it seems a bit too sensitive. Should really only dim when a car with high beams on comes up behind you. And, no, the side mirrors don't dim.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Ricky
Banned

oh ok, thanks. Although this is very weird. I would figure it WOULDNT dim at night, or atleast not as much, because there are always idiots without lights on , and with the dim, you can't see them.. and during the day, driving away from the sunset, I would figure they'd dim a little so your not blinded that way either.. very weird..
Old 01-27-2003, 08:10 PM
drake3

I was going to say that it is not dimming because it can't see anything outta the little slit they call a rear window just like the driver!!

Geez, they shoulda put a camera with a display in the nav compartment instead of placing a useless rearview mirror on the windsheild. (Just like on those large RVs)
Old 01-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Intrepid

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can make the rear view mirror dim less by putting a very small strip of black electrical tape over about half of the round sensor located on the mirror. You can adjust how much you cover to your preference. The more you cover, the less the mirror will dim.
Attached Thumbnails Is something wrong with my Auto-Dimming mirror??-mirror.jpg  
Old 01-31-2003, 01:38 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip, Intrepid. This issue has not been a problem for me.....YET!

Does anyone turn the auto-dim off during the daytime as the owners manual suggests? I do when I remember, which is maybe 1/2 the time. Seems odd that it comes on always, when they recommend that it be off in the daytime......
Old 01-31-2003, 01:56 PM
nwind21

If you tint your windows to any percentage the auto-dim won't go so dark. I had the same problem where I had to turn it off during the evening cause it went pretty dark.

Now with the tint, it's not that bad at all.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:48 PM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Auto-dimming is a replacement for the manual "night" mode of a mirror that is used to prevent blinding glare from headlights at night. Just like a normal mirror, "night" mode (or "dim
mode) comes on, you guessed it, at night. In the daytime it's just a normal mirror! Makes sense to me.

Mine has worked quite well and it's nice not to have to flip it manually. But it does have a manual OFF switch in case you don't like the way the auto-dim is working.

My other car (Merc SLK) has the same kind of auto-dim; it's quite common now.

(BTW If you are in a place where people drive at night without their headlights on, I think your mirror is the worst of your problems!)
Old 02-01-2003, 03:24 PM
WayneTN

Originally posted by nwind21
If you tint your windows to any percentage the auto-dim won't go so dark. I had the same problem where I had to turn it off during the evening cause it went pretty dark.

Now with the tint, it's not that bad at all.
Uh, . Ricky has 20% tint all around. When the mirror also dims, that's why he can't see squat out the back. Ricky will probably end up just turning off the mirror and letting the 20% tint serve the same purpose for night-time.

WayneTN
Old 02-01-2003, 06:07 PM
nwind21

Originally posted by WayneTN
Uh, . Ricky has 20% tint all around. When the mirror also dims, that's why he can't see squat out the back. Ricky will probably end up just turning off the mirror and letting the 20% tint serve the same purpose for night-time.

WayneTN
Good for Ricky then. Glad he found a solution WayneTN.