Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

powershifting? bad for your car??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM
showstoppertk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alberto
You are correct, like I posted above. My 3rd(latest) tranny was the "good" 4th gen revision Nissan came out with, not one of the known ones to fail, since then no issues.
sorry to get off topic, but do you know which model trans you currently have alberto? is it the 008? thanx.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Fa1rLadyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm so powershifting only works when u take the rpm all the way to rev limiter? because when i was practicing i only took it up to 4k rpm and my rpm jumped like 1k more.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Clapton9286

Or when you just have disregard for $$...
Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fa1rLadyZ
hmmm so powershifting only works when u take the rpm all the way to rev limiter? because when i was practicing i only took it up to 4k rpm and my rpm jumped like 1k more.
Practice with redline 1-2 shifts, dont do it in lower rpm's....

showstoppertk I dont remember its been a while since my last one, but I think it was version 4-the first version that worked well.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:41 PM
rolling

Originally Posted by southern_info
Powershifting requires using the clutch! Put the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there. You should be pressing the clutch in simultaneously as your pushing or pulling the stick into the next gear. Your to do all this at the same time when you hit the rev-limiter. Your shift will be faster than normal as I would say like a knife cutting butter and it will be in the next gear faster than you know it. You will be shifting faster than speed shifting the normal way. Good Luck!
i think a better way of saying it is " its like your trying to do a burn-out in each gear but while shifting VERY fast Not letting up in the gas"

would that be acurate??
Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

It sounds like people here have different definitions of POWER SHIFTING.

Some folks think you do not press in the clutch....

Here is the definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powershifting
Powershifting (a.k.a. full-throttle shift or flat-foot shifting) is a method of shifting used with manual transmissions to reduce the time where the driving wheels are not powered.
Unlike a normal gearchange with a manual transmission, in a powershift, the driver does not let off the accelerator. The clutch is briefly depressed while the shift lever is slammed from gear to gear, keeping the engine in its power band. This helps the car accelerate faster, but increases the wear on the clutch and the transmission beyond normal levels and shortens the expected life on those components and higher fuel consumption.
The technique lends itself especially well to sequential transmissions as found on motocycles and race cars.
This can also be achieved by means of electrically, pneumatically or otherwise powered gearbox accessories, for example in racing (to get even faster shift times) or to support disabled motorists who cannot use the limb in question. In effect, such accessories convert the transmission into a semi-automatic transmission.
I have power-shifted Fords, Chevys, and Chryslers that I have owned, and have never experienced a tranny failure (clutch yes though).

I am now convinced you should not power shift the Nissan 350Z tranny....it will ruin it. (It would be nice if it could take the abuse....like the other vehicles I have owned)

Last edited by JCat; 06-14-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM
Lee R

Way too much time searching for a powershifting response on a thread from 06.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:44 AM
chewonyou

Oh. I had no clue. The only time I attempted to powershift was when I was too hammered to operate a car normally. It would just be easier to coordinate when you don't have to lift your foot off the throttle. One less thing to think about since I would be focusing so hard on not crashing my car.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Lee R

Originally Posted by chewonyou
Oh. I had no clue. The only time I attempted to powershift was when I was too hammered to operate a car normally. It would just be easier to coordinate when you don't have to lift your foot off the throttle. One less thing to think about since I would be focusing so hard on not crashing my car.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:34 AM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by chewonyou
l.m.a.o.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Skv012a

So, essentially going through power bands quickly? I kinda don't see a point in literally flooring the gas, but rather being able to reach any RPM at whim when the clutch is disengaged (regardless of that time). So, a quick run through the power bands with upshift rev-matching?