Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can't ever get a Full Tank Reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
tyoung88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't ever get a Full Tank Reading

So about 2 months ago my 2004 350z Coupe started showing 3/4 on the fuel guage after a complete fillup. No matter how much I top off, even to the point where the excess is dripping out it still only reads 3/4 full on the guage.

The dealer said that this may be related to the fuel tube recall so I had the recall fix done 2 weeks ago but the 3/4 reading still appears. Anyone else have a similiar issue?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
nizmoz

I have the same problem. Dealer dropped my fuel tank under the fuel tank recall (free) and inspected the fuel tank device (don't know what it is called!). He said it had a perfect OHM reading and that my problem is aftermarket wiring behind the dash which is causing voltage fluctuations (stereo/alarm). Bull****? True? I don't know.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
John@Victory

mine has been doing it for 10k miles now. 04 performance model. shows 3/4 and even when it shows empty it will only let me put 14 gal of gas in it

go figure
Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a TSB for this. It's a very common problem (and it's not associated with the fuel hose recall). I had the same problem on my 04.5. I had owned the car almost 2 years and managed to get a completely full tank of gas maybe twice. The problem is a faulty valve inside the tank that causes the pump to shut off early. I got mine fixed and haven't had the problem since.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:19 PM
John@Victory

no its not what your talking about. that comon on all of them. and flipping the pump handle upside down when pumping fixes it. the tanks are full but only reading 3/4 tank and when it shows impty it still has a 1/4 tank. i know it has a 1/4 tank as ive driven 125 miles on empty testing it
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
roast

Here ya go: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-048.htm
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
John@Victory

that isnt what we are refering to. read my last post
Old 04-04-2006, 04:26 PM
roast

Turning the pump upside down does not fix the problem. I idiotically followed that advice once and ended up with gas everywhere, and still didn't get a full tank.

There is nothing wrong with the guages. The guages are accurate. If it says you have 3/4, you have 3/4.

We also have like a 3 gallon reserve tank so the fact you drove 120 miles on empty proves absolutely nothing.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
John@Victory

dude after owning 3 350z's and working for a nissan dealership for the past 5 years i think i qualify as knowing what im talking about.

so smart guy since you know what the problem is why is it when i drive 150 miles on empty i can then get 18 gallons in my tank?

ill tell you why. because what you are talking about and what we are talking about are 2 differant things.

we have a bad fuel sending unit in our cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
roast

Don't get smart with me. Your tone is not necessary or appreciated.

so smart guy since you know what the problem is why is it when i drive 150 miles on empty i can then get 18 gallons in my tank?
Maybe because you didn't drive far enough to empty out our 20 gallon tank, or better yet, you didnt get a full tank?!

we have a bad fuel sending unit in our cars
Where is the documentation?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
John@Victory

Originally Posted by roast
Don't get smart with me.

Maybe because you didn't drive far enough to empty out our 20 gallon tank, or better yet, YOU DIDNT GET A FULL TANK?!?!?

Where is the documentation?

well when you try and explain something you know nothing about ill continue to make you look stupid. what are you going to do? beat me up? you an internet tought guy? oh no , im getting scared!!!!

there is no documentation because nissan hasnt recognize the problem yet fool! its common sense. we have all stated we filled the car up. even topping them off. when you top it off you can see the gas sitting in the filler neck smart guy. BECAUSE THE TANK IS FULL!!!!!!!

now as i said before when i drive it til it says empty i can only get 14 gallons. if i drive another 125-150 miles on the thing i can get 18-19 gallons. its obvious that there is an issue with the sender

its common sense. not rocket science

Old 04-04-2006, 05:39 PM
tyoung88

Originally Posted by roast
There is a TSB for this. It's a very common problem (and it's not associated with the fuel hose recall). I had the same problem on my 04.5. I had owned the car almost 2 years and managed to get a completely full tank of gas maybe twice. The problem is a faulty valve inside the tank that causes the pump to shut off early. I got mine fixed and haven't had the problem since.
Can you provide me with the TSB number for this? I don't think this is an issue with having the gas pump prematurily click off because I top off to the point where my tank overflows and I still get 3/4 full readings.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:41 PM
zzrobzz

The first time I got a full tank of gas I went in and argued with the gas station attendant.

For a year I thought our tanks were only 15 gallons.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM
John@Victory

have you ever noticed as you are driving that periodicly you will get a higher reading periodicly. kinda sperodic needle?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
roast

Can you provide me with the TSB number for this? I don't think this is an issue with having the gas pump prematurily click off because I top off to the point where my tank overflows and I still get 3/4 full readings.
Sure thing. I provided the link to the TSB in a previous post. The TSB# is 05048.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:22 PM
roast

well when you try and explain something you know nothing about ill continue to make you look stupid. what are you going to do? beat me up? you an internet tought guy? oh no , im getting scared!!!!
You have done nothing but flaunt your own intolerance and stupidity.

there is no documentation because nissan hasnt recognize the problem yet fool! its common sense. we have all stated we filled the car up. even topping them off. when you top it off you can see the gas sitting in the filler neck smart guy. BECAUSE THE TANK IS FULL!!!!!!!
That's interesting. You have located a problem before nissan has? I suppose that is possible, but highly unlikely.

I also understand you are "filling the car up". The tank is not taking a full tank because the valve that is designed to close and make the pump shut off malfunctions and closes too early. It makes you assume you got a full tank because the pump shuts off. And yes, if you continue to pump the gas it will overflow even though the tank is not full, because the valve has shut prematurely.

now as i said before when i drive it til it says empty i can only get 14 gallons.
That's because you're not getting a completely full tank.

if i drive another 125-150 miles on the thing i can get 18-19 gallons. its obvious that there is an issue with the sender
So now it's 18-19? I guess you changed your tune once you figured out the tank is 20 gallons.

its common sense. not rocket science
You are exactly correct. And considering it's so obvious to understand, you sure are having difficulties grasping this simple concept.

Have you had the above TSB addressed on your car? Maybe once you have the above TSB addressed and your problem goes away, you can come back an apologize for being such an obnoxious arrogant ignorant *****.

Last edited by roast; 04-04-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
NightRida

lol
Keep it going fellas, this is fun!
Peace!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:36 PM
240Zplus110

If you dig back (doing the now famous search) you will quickly see that there have been four (4) distinct issues with the fuel filling system:

1. Level sending unit failure -- reads 3/4 to 7/8 full.. no more, no matter how much fuel you try to put in.
2. Check/flutter valve sticking -- prevents filling from time to time... nozzle keeps shutting off because of back-flow.
3. Fuel filler cover not opening -- some solenoid locks have had the plunger (latch) binding and sticking making it impossible to open (can be released from inside the trunk in an emergency) -- more of an G35 problem.
4. Cracked filler tube -- Now a Nissan/Infiniti recall

I've had problems 1. 3. and now 4.

Last edited by 240Zplus110; 04-04-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
tyoung88

Originally Posted by 240Zplus110
If you dig back (doing the now famous search) you will quickly see that there have been four (4) distinct issues with the fuel filling system:

1. Level sending unit failure -- reads 3/4 to 7/8 full.. no more, no matter how much fuel you try to put in.
2. Check/flutter valve sticking -- prevents filling from time to time... nozzle keeps shutting off because of back-flow.
3. Fuel filler cover not opening -- some solenoid locks have had the plunger (latch) binding and sticking making it impossible to open (can be released from inside the trunk in an emergency)
4. Cracked filler tube -- Now a Nissan/Infiniti recall

I've had problems 1. 3. and now 4.
Is there a TSB for #1? Did a search and wasn't able to find a post.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
240Zplus110

No... there hasn't been an official TSB, but my dealer knew right away what the problem was and fixed it under warranty -- no hesitation.

On the www.G35.ca board there has been a least 5-6 people that I know of that had this problem -- all of them fixed under warranty. Seems to be a 2003 and early 2004 model problem.

Quick Reply: Can't ever get a Full Tank Reading