Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

High Pitched Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Kabs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Pitched Noise?

Hmm sometimes i get this really really high pitched noise when im driving. I noticed this when im on the highway in 6th gear while not adding gas. I dont know how else to explain it. Sometimes it just appears out of nowhere and then dissapears.

I think I heard it once too when the car was sitting int my driveway and was on.

Any info on what this can be? If i have a clue on what it is, Ill have something to tell the guys at Nissan. Cuase right now I dont want to go there and say "i hear a beeep sound" lol.

Thanks

Last edited by Kabs; 04-10-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Kabs

it seems to go away when i add some gas.... but comes right back when i let go =(
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM
aren21

Does it happen at high speeds only (above75)? I hear a whistle/whine/high pitched noise above 75mph, goes away if I give it more gas, or get off the gas completley. Im thinking its the rear end, because it does it in 5th gear too, so I dont think both 5th and 6th could be bad. For some reason when the rear diff has load on it, it whines, when you get off the gas, no load, so no whine. Just my guess, so dont take my word for it. I would take it to get checked out, but dont want be without my car just because of whistle. What you have sounds simialr, dont know if its the same thing though.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
plumpzz

its ur throttle body mike
Old 04-10-2006, 08:27 PM
RJNavarrete

hasn't this been discussed many times before?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by mc350z
ive had this too. but we might be talking about two different things

when you have your car in gear with the key in the on position that beep is the throttle body it also does it when the car is cranked. if you raise your hood you can hear it from the TB. this is normal

but i also have noise at highway speeds its a faint high pitch whine. you can adjust the sound by tapping the gas pedal. you can even make it sing

im thinking it might be tranny whine or the rear end. but for me if i take it out of gear on the highway it will still do it that is the only thing thats throwing me off a little

it bothers the hell out of me but ive kind learned to live with it
I know what your talking about, the noise stops when you take it out of gear. Thats what makes me think that its not the tranny, but the rear end. Has anyone gotten this fixed, or knows exactly what the problem is??
Old 04-11-2006, 09:03 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had this too. but we might be talking about two different things

when you have your car in gear with the key in the on position that beep is the throttle body it also does it when the car is cranked. if you raise your hood you can hear it from the TB. this is normal

but i also have noise at highway speeds its a faint high pitch whine. you can adjust the sound by tapping the gas pedal. you can even make it sing

im thinking it might be tranny whine or the rear end. but for me if i take it out of gear on the highway it will still do it that is the only thing thats throwing me off a little

it bothers the hell out of me but ive kind learned to live with it
I couldn't agree more.

I have the same exact problem, I actually got my car back from nissan yesterday after a transmission replacement for my 06 with 4k miles. I also complained about the rear end whine at 80mph and above. The tech said he couldnt hear anything, of course when I get my car back I hear it plus my alignment is totally off. Thanks Nissan!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:23 AM
corey b

I HAVE IT ALSO. THE TECH SAID IT WAS A SEAL WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT GOES INTO THE REAREND. HE SAID HE SPRAYED SOME LUBE ON IT AND IT WAS GONE FOR A DAY OR TWO BUT NOW IT'S BACK. I THINK IT COMMING FROM THE TRANNY.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by corey b
I HAVE IT ALSO. THE TECH SAID IT WAS A SEAL WHERE THE DRIVE SHAFT GOES INTO THE REAREND. HE SAID HE SPRAYED SOME LUBE ON IT AND IT WAS GONE FOR A DAY OR TWO BUT NOW IT'S BACK. I THINK IT COMMING FROM THE TRANNY.
I dont think its the trans because I got mine replaced yesterday and the whine is still there.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
97supratt

after you got your tranny replaced did you noticed first gear was louder and more whiney? i did when i got mine replaced. my first gear is pretty loud and i still have the noise in 5th 6th as well
This new transmission is great except its hard to get into 5th gear. With the 1st transmission, the shifter would go in smooth. Now i have to wiggle it because I push too far to the right. It sucks because at 4000 miles I had to replace a transmission.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Kabs

yes it was posted before but there was no update.

It happens when i go about 75-80. The sound ill get louder when you add gas or put it in cruise control.

When I get my oil changed Ill prob tell them about this. But in a way I do not want them to drive my car going 80mph.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
thirty5ounces

I had this problem with my 03Perfomance. It was only after the car had been sitting and on colder mornings/nights. Also in 5th and 6th gear. My mechanic changed tranny fluid to an AMSOIL tranny fluid, noise never came back.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Kabs

ill have talk to them about that.....it really get annoying especially when I have a headache and cannot blast music =(
Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 AM
03zsmith25

I thought it was just because you are in a high gear and maybe you could be in 5th instead of 6th (or 4th instead of 5th). It seems to do it on mine in this case where I am trying to save gas and my RPMs are kinda low. As soon as I get them up a little higher, it goes away.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:10 PM
blake Z

Hmm i never had a whine noise but i've had like a "buzzing, ticking" sound at around 75-85 mph. at first, it drove me crazy but i never really go on the freeway anymore so i really don't care i guess, well until i go back on the freeway lol.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
tenpenniesz

I've got the same problem here. I have a 2004.5 that develops a horrible high pitch/whining noise when I get my car up past 72mph and let off of the gas or put it into cruise control. The noise has actually gotten worse over the last few months and is starting to occur in my lower gears as well. It originally started out only happening at around 75-80mph but now it happens from 70mph all the way up to 95-100mph and has even started at lower speeds around 45-50mph. It doesn't seem to matter if it the car is warmed up or cold it starts to whine no matter what the conditions are. I've only got 16k miles on my car but I've replaced the transmission fluid 2x's already. I have an appointment on this Wednesday at the dealership to see what they can find. Just got back from a trip this weekend and it drove me crazy the entire time. Had the radio up so load that I could not hear anything. I'll repost once I have any updates.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Takase350z

i was hoping i wouldnt find anything on this during a search... but oh well.. Ive got an 06' w/ about 2k miles. I have this loud whine when my car is in gear. It increases in pitch w the revs. If you've ever heard a roots type blower like in a SVT lightning or Cobalt, then you'll have an idea of what it sounds like. I dont know if im just now noticing it and its been there all the time, or if it just started. Other than the whine, it drives just fine. Im starting to think its normal... actually my mustang GT does this too, but i think its the rear end. I guess the important question is... has ANYONE ever had a tranny lock up on them or other gear related issues? especially if they have whining issues?! so far im good... no grinds etc... just want to know if the whining is a warning for things to come....

Quick Reply: High Pitched Noise?