Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just remembered why I like RWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:31 AM
Ender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just remembered why I like RWD

First off: I had driven a Trans Am for about eight years prior to the Fairlady. I had grown used to rear wheels spinning a bit. Then I owned a Matrix for 2 years. FWD was weird but I found myself, again, getting used to the way the car handled. Traded the Matrix for an 06 Touring Z.

I decided since my break-in period was through and the roads were clear I would turn off the VDC for some spirited driving with my Fairlady yesterday.

I was turning right on a red at an intersection. I gave the Z a little extra gas around the corner. The tires lost traction a little, the back end swung out just enough to get it going straight down the road, the back tires caught and I was off! The whole experience was better than the Trans Am. Both cars give me the RWD sports car experience, but the Z is more agile and solid than the TA.

I am so glad I bought this car.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
plumpzz

heh i dont have the ***** to do that. But i know what ur talking about. its boring when i drive my moms maxima, even though the power is there. Ive found myself taking corners too hard in the maxima cause i'm used to the Z's handling..
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Hammond

id only attempt that in an open parking lot...I did it once around a turn, and totally lost control of the car.. Almost crashed into a mailbox.. My GS300 keeps a little more traction, and makes it much easier to keep control when doing stunts like that..
IronMedic

yeah it took me 2 days till i turned it off to show my friends how the car handles. its totally insane and fun! im a safe driver anyways so that was the only time i turned it off. i grew up mostly around RWD cars. the only time i broke that rule is when i had an 05 WRX. AWD is just as fun but i prefer RWD.
Fletch69z

It's hard to explain, but the Z is just a great all around sports car, .
Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Ender

Originally Posted by shadowedsniper
id only attempt that in an open parking lot...I did it once around a turn, and totally lost control of the car.. Almost crashed into a mailbox.. My GS300 keeps a little more traction, and makes it much easier to keep control when doing stunts like that..

You just have to give it a little extra gas. Just enough to compensate for understeer. Too much, and you lose control. Be the car... Be the car.

<Chevy Chase impression>Nananananananananana...
Old 04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by Ender
You just have to give it a little extra gas. Just enough to compensate for understeer. Too much, and you lose control. Be the car... Be the car.

<Chevy Chase impression>Nananananananananana...
^^True. I don't EVER take my Z out and not do this at least around one turn(not highly populated areas). That's why I bought it. If I were going to drive like a grandma I would have bought a civic and save w/ the MPG's.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:11 PM
MeetJoeAsian

i've done a 180 once....it was late at night...and i was trying to make a U-turn and decided to give it a try....everything was great until I realized I was 2 buildings down from a police substation...I almost pissed myself...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
maxpowers

Welcome to the club.

I must say.......thats a strange mix of cars you've owned.

First off: I had driven a Trans Am for about eight years prior to the Fairlady. I had grown used to rear wheels spinning a bit. Then I owned a Matrix for 2 years. FWD was weird but I found myself, again, getting used to the way the car handled. Traded the Matrix for an 06 Touring Z.

I decided since my break-in period was through and the roads were clear I would turn off the VDC for some spirited driving with my Fairlady yesterday.

I was turning right on a red at an intersection. I gave the Z a little extra gas around the corner. The tires lost traction a little, the back end swung out just enough to get it going straight down the road, the back tires caught and I was off! The whole experience was better than the Trans Am. Both cars give me the RWD sports car experience, but the Z is more agile and solid than the TA.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:26 PM
NTRIGUE

RWD is a blast! The third time I turned VDC off to have some fun I was making a U-turn at 3am (no cars) and stopped competely throttle modulated and spun around 1.9 times - I was then in love.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is EXACTLY why I would never buy a FWD car again. RWD is
Old 04-21-2006, 03:23 PM
MulhollandDrive

FWD was weird but I found myself, again, getting used to the way the car handled.
FWD cars with a lot of hp basically **ck. They change lanes on you as you accelerate! So RWD ZR for summer and an AWD sedan for winter driving is nirvana.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still working up the nerve to let her loose with the VDC off... need to find a parking lot...
Old 04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Miko

I feel like trying this, LOL. How do you guys do it, and in what gear, 2nd? I dont want to lose control or anything but just a tiny lil drift would be sweet. I saw something like this from a G35c a bit ago, looked kinda tight.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 PM
StAtiXz6

if u really wanna have some fun take ur vdc off and do it in first gear while ur sliding throw it in 2nd and watch what happens. Dont do this in a closed area

I REPEAT DONT DO THIS IN A CLOSED AREA! if you crash its not my fault lol i have had my z going FULLY SIDEWAYS down a 3 lane str8 at 4 am then swung it back around the other way.

drifting is all about how much ***** you have. After u develop ***** u develop skill/technique.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Ender

Originally Posted by Miko
I feel like trying this, LOL. How do you guys do it, and in what gear, 2nd? I dont want to lose control or anything but just a tiny lil drift would be sweet. I saw something like this from a G35c a bit ago, looked kinda tight.
I was in 1st at the time. Do it in a secluded area with lots of open pavement. A road course track would be ideal. A big empty parking lot would be second.

It's a lot about feel. When you are about half way through the turn, give it a little more gas than usual. Emphasis on 'little'. Too much and you are running into mailboxes. When you feel the back end kick out, lay off the gas a bit. If the back end is getting super outta control, take your foot off the gas completely. When the back end catches again and is pointed where you want to go, hit it.

Remember to always keep the front wheels pointed in the direction you want the car to go, and NEVER do this in traffic. EVER. I am in no way condoning this activity on public streets!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Built2shredZ

For those who have not tried driving without the VDC On, PLEASE do it in a empty parking lot so you don't hurt yourself or anybody else. Takes some practice to learn how to control your car without VDC, especially if this is your first RWD car.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:15 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
For those who have not tried driving without the VDC On, PLEASE do it in a empty parking lot so you don't hurt yourself or anybody else. Takes some practice to learn how to control your car without VDC, especially if this is your first RWD car.
I would say the best place to learn to drift in a RWD car is on a dirt track. Better yet, buy a dirt bike and learn how to drift with one foot on the ground!
Old 04-22-2006, 01:19 PM
DLin05

thats wierd...i never drive with VDC on. I turn it off as part of my start up procedure.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Frostydc4

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
I would say the best place to learn to drift in a RWD car is on a dirt track. Better yet, buy a dirt bike and learn how to drift with one foot on the ground!
Or on a snow covered road .

I am now a RWD convert and I know why everyone says that power s/b put through the ground through the rear wheels. I have had a few tuned FWD cars that can corner faster and with less body roll than my car but man handling a RWD car puts a smile on my face .

Quick Reply: Just remembered why I like RWD