Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Black Z's really THAT dirty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:13 AM
nothingremains

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Black Z's really THAT dirty?

The black is starting to wear on me...The more I see of it, the better I think it looks. Is it really THAT dirty. I live in Florida and it isn't really dusty here like a lot of other states. Is it something that if you keep it waxed good and rinse it off with water every few days will be fine? I just think washing it twice a week because it is black may be an exaggeration sometimes. Thanks for the opinions!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:18 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The darker the color, the more easy it is to see dirt on the car. Black being the darkest color takes the most work to keep clean. Does it get that dirty?: Depends how much dirt you can tolerate.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:22 AM
nothingremains

but if you wax it more does it show less dirt?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:31 AM
sQuashed

And if you use bad washing and drying techniques , the spiderwebbing and swirls will drive ya nutty on a black car.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 AM
Ruining

I had a black Z for 3 weeks and I washed it at least 7 times. It was used, so it only looked good in the shade because of the swirl marks. I really wanted a black one, and still do, but it is at least twice the work if you want it to always look good. I wound up with the blue, and it is so much easier to take care of it, my wife isn't even that jealous anymore.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 AM
SB04

Originally Posted by nothingremains
but if you wax it more does it show less dirt?
NO...but, it you've got a nice wax on it, it is easier to clean.

I keep my Super Black pretty clean and always Zainoed...I run a California Duster over it daily or twice daily in pollen season...if it gets spots, spray with a quick detail spray (Z-6 or 8) and it keeps her nice and clean...the worst weather is a light mist, which then turns any dust that was on your car to a spot...if you love the shine of a Black Z then its not a burden...if you want to drive for a couple weeks without atleast using quick detail, then black is not the way to go
Old 04-24-2006, 05:13 AM
nothingremains

thanks for the tips guys!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:03 AM
kpiskin

Yeah, the swirls marks suck, but most people don't really notice especially after a nice waxing. If you can keep your car garaged for the most part, black will look cleaner longer. However, dirt shows up really quick. If you are worried about camoflauging future dirt and scratches, silver is the way to go IMO. It blends with the primer (better for hiding scratches) and since silver is usually a metallic paint, it reflects light and distracts your eye from the dirt.

For awhile it started getting to me, but if you keep up on it, it's not that big a deal. I just use NXT quick detailer and catch the dirt every other day or so unless it's raining. It takes me about 15 minutes if all I have is road dust. That includes touching up the wheels.

Last edited by kpiskin; 04-24-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:08 AM
zzrobzz

If you have a garage and have the time to wash it once-a-week (depending on the conditions), then it's not a problem.

Otherwise, get a lighter color.

Just be sure to use quality products and proper techniques.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:06 AM
imjdoggie

Black is a royal pain in the ***!! My black Z is impossible to keep clean. White is the way to go!!
Old 04-24-2006, 07:14 AM
350z_2NR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it'll stay cleaner than you think. but, you can't just rinse it off it can make it look worse.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 AM
zzrobzz

I really can't believe people rub their cars when they're not clean.

I thought it was common sense....I guess I was wrong.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:20 AM
drumma022

Florida Summers suck, especially if you do not have a garage. It rains virtually every day, making a wash necessary once every 2-3 days. Also, many cities use reclaimed water with tons of sulfur in it to water their landscape and find my car in the path of a roque sprikler very frequently.

Now if you have your own garage - once a week wash and twice a month wax seems to be fine with me.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
novaz

Black looks great, especially on a Z.
I would never get it, waaayyyyy to much work for me.
The blue is nice and bright, without looking trendy - so that's why I went with it.
Good luck with your choice.....
Old 04-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Mirkod

The black is starting to wear on me...The more I see of it, the better I think it looks. Is it really THAT dirty. I live in Florida and it isn't really dusty here like a lot of other states. Is it something that if you keep it waxed good and rinse it off with water every few days will be fine? I just think washing it twice a week because it is black may be an exaggeration sometimes. Thanks for the opinions!
...yes
Old 04-24-2006, 09:06 AM
Z_freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is black and yes it is alot of work to keep it clean, but i think everyone must admit that nothing looks better than a polished black car.....go with black, it's your bad a%% ride and you are going to keep it clean either way...i had an option to get a white one, i kept looking at it and the more i did the more i saw that it started looking like other white cars, no offense to those who have white Z's...it just looked plain to me......yeah it's alot of work, but worth every look you get when you are driving it....
Old 04-24-2006, 01:12 PM
LIdrew

I have a SuperBlack Z and it has a ton of swirl marks, rock chips and key marks. I wash it every 2 weeks, detailed a few times a year. Even when it looks bad and Dirty which is most of the time, it still looks good. Black rules. "I have no time in my life to get uptight" about how clean my car is. If you keep thinking about it, it will drive you crazy. On a side note...silver cars always look clean.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
imjdoggie

far.............

close.........

Last edited by imjdoggie; 04-24-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 PM
ervinmarion

I have a black z and yeah the work keeping it clean is hard but well worth it after some time put into it. I love my choice. plus were i stay women like black cars haha. keep it pimpin.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
imjdoggie

That's what sliding across the hood Dukes of Hazzard style after a few drinks will do!!! LOL

Quick Reply: Black Z's really THAT dirty?