Think I would have bought a different car

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by hcwlsu
I have had a clear bra on my silver coupe (Front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors) for two years now and I don't have a single scratch. It has not faded and it doesn't have a bad line on it. If you want I will post some pics.
+1

Over 3 years for me with a clear bra and not one chip!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your entire car have a clear bra???

I've got chips everywhere. The front is just obscene and has more chips than a can of pringles(no clearbra). The hood has chips all over. The windshield has been chipped (repaired). The rearview mirrors are chipped/gouged. I even have a nastttyy chip on the front right fender where it curves sharply.

Unfortunately I have to do a lot of highway driving in heavy traffic so it's impossible to avoid. I kind of like the battle scars... it give's a little character.

The car still looks good overall though. You wouldn't notice the chips unless you were looking for them. No door dings and no scratches.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i get so irrattated by this cheap paint bs posts. 13k miles and my bumper and hood are almost flawless. our cars drive low to the ground, there are more prone to get pelted by debris if your not carefull. my previous car, ls1 camaro, had all sorts of chips on the hood and bumper. i changed my driving habits, i never drive behind or next to large vehicles. i NEVER tailgate. someone wants to cut me off, i brake quickly or change lanes. i always keep a good amount of distance from the car in front of me. its that friggin simple. cough, once again, my hood and bumper were flawless after 13k miles. why? read this post again.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:36 PM
Built2shredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have a few chips on my car after 2 years, but my attitude has always been that im just going to drive this car for fun and not let things like door dings or paint chips get to me, then after 4-5 years ill have a body shop just re-paint it... This way I get the most enjoyment out of the car without stressin over little things like dents and chips..
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
I only have a few chips on my car after 2 years, but my attitude has always been that im just going to drive this car for fun and not let things like door dings or paint chips get to me, then after 4-5 years ill have a body shop just re-paint it... This way I get the most enjoyment out of the car without stressin over little things like dents and chips..
If I would have got the silver alloy, it would have been easier for me to share that same feeling but since I ended up getting a rdline, it's just so damn hot looking that I want to keep it pristine but it just ain't gonna happen. Oh well chip happens
Old 04-27-2006, 07:44 AM
A_16

seriously, driving habits make the biggest determining factor on rock chips. My car now has 37k miles, and its not flawless by no means, but its well within the norm for miles
Old 04-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven almost 21k miles in 10 months. I honestly expected it. With a front end as wide and low as the Z's, its bound to happen. It doesn't just happen on the Z. Check out Corvette's, the new Mustangs, etc.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Starchecker

Originally Posted by Nexx
i get so irrattated by this cheap paint bs posts. 13k miles and my bumper and hood are almost flawless. our cars drive low to the ground, there are more prone to get pelted by debris if your not carefull. my previous car, ls1 camaro, had all sorts of chips on the hood and bumper. i changed my driving habits, i never drive behind or next to large vehicles. i NEVER tailgate. someone wants to cut me off, i brake quickly or change lanes. i always keep a good amount of distance from the car in front of me. its that friggin simple. cough, once again, my hood and bumper were flawless after 13k miles. why? read this post again.
Unless I want to drive 30 MPH on the interstate, there is no way I am going to be able to stay far behind vehicles in my commute. If I back off, someone just pulls into the slot I opened up. So I don't see that as a workable solution.

Besides, I haven't changed my driving habits in 21 years, so why is this car chipping exponentially worse than the cheap Sentra I had just prior to it?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

^EPA regulations. They'd banned a lot of substances that were previously used in paints and thats what made them much tougher. Nowadays, paint is much softer because of it.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:41 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by Nexx
I honestly agree here, as low as these cars set they are subject to more road debris than lets say a crown victoria or pick up truck. A clear bra is the answer and it's also your chance to invest in that bumper you've been wanting.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 AM
joentown

I have a DB 04 and have the clear bra. Overall, it's better than nothing although mine is now getting tattered to the point that it's about as unappealing as a paint chip.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
tropicalypso

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, about how much does it typically cost to get the bumper repainted? I am just figuring that its a part of maintaining a nice sports car.

That being said, I don't tailgate in the Z, and I avoid all trucks with a passion. 8k on the odometer... got a couple of nicks, its a part of life.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Armitage
350Z-holic

I think anywhere from $250-400 is a safe estimate to repaint a front bumper.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Z_freak

Originally Posted by Armitage
I think anywhere from $250-400 is a safe estimate to repaint a front bumper.
+1
Old 04-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Z33WOLF

Mine has a few blemishes at 21,000 miles however most people don't see the front anyway.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:05 PM
NC_Future_Z

Well, just so you all don't feel so bad about the 350Z's paint...

I currently own a Z4 (will be getting a 350Z in a month) and I can tell you for a fact that I probably have as many (or more) chips as all of you do on your 350Z's. Littered all over my front end and hood. It's gotten to the point where I can't even tell if they are new chips or old ones anymore.

I've always taken it as a combination of my driving on the highway all the time, mixed in with the fact that the car is so low to the ground (the average SUV's tires are probably at about my hood level).