Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Chances

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 02:46 AM
jackjohnson24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Chances

Hey, my parents are planning on buying me a new car maybe december of this year or sometime early 2003. What are my chances of being able to get a 350z. Are they still gonna be hard to get, and if not, will the prices be jacked up. I was planning on getting a rsx-type s, but for$3000 more, the base 350z can smoke that plus looks 100 times better.( Is gettin a base 350z worth it). I would appreciate any input, this is my first post. To think, I'll probaly be the only 19 year old with one.( please dont flame me b/c of my age).
Old 07-07-2002, 02:53 AM
NiZZan
Charter Member #77

There is always a chance. Any chance of getting the folks to place an order now. That way the car would be in early 2003? I also hope you are smart enough to be careful with a car like the Z. I had a friend whose parent bought him a new car and he totaled it in less than 2 weeks. I think he was on his second tank of gas.

Any thoughts as to what color you’d want?
Old 07-07-2002, 02:55 AM
350zpower

This is a tough choice.(sarcasm) The 350Z base is a real steal deal at that price your asking. Most likely the base models will have a markup in the december time frame your looking for. (Especially the base model since many people will try to stretch their dollar from a Eclipse and/or RSX to make it to the Z)

You should remember the base model doesnt have a Viscous LSD and cruise control, and some other gadgets like Xenon. So its pretty much stripped down. A top of the line RSX-S will have all the amenities but will not be the performer the Z is.

Still even at the ~27k price your looking to spend ~$30k out the door.

Also dont forget about your insurance, the Z and RSX-S are two very different cars and after the insurance companies get some time to see what kind of damage this cars are causing i venture to bet that your insurance with an RSX-S will be significantly cheaper.

I wouldnt get the base unless i was planning to do some mods, but that is me personally. You should go check out the base 350Z for yourself and then decide. If you have extra money and can find the Z around and can save up to do some aftermarket VLSD go for it.

Above all be very careful with your car, its in many ways a lethal weapon so you must use caution no matter what you drive.

Take care.

PS. Dont think for a second you'll be the only 19 year old with this. Their are already 16 year olds who are on the pre-order list with their parents.

Last edited by 350zpower; 07-07-2002 at 03:01 AM.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:20 AM
jackjohnson24

Thanks for the replies guys. Insurance shouldnt be too bad if its put on my parents insurance and im added, i dont know. I may just to get the enthusiast model to get the lsd and hids. Any idea how long it will be b4 u can actually get the 350z for the price people who pre-ordered are gettin if for. Thanx again for the advice.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be the voice of reason and tell you to hold off on the 350Z for now. You're probably going to be waiting until spring of next year for one, according to the dealers I've spoken to here. And look forward to a $1K-$5K premium. I couldn't say when someone who didn't pre-order would be paying MSRP.

More importantly though, is a matter of safety. Someone who's still relatively fresh to driving is probably better off in a FWD car like the RSX. Lots of younger drivers get themselves killed in Vettes and Supras and the like (there was a tragedy here recently involving those 2 cars and 2 teenage drivers). Plus you don't want to pump your parents for so much cash. Plus it prolly won't fly with your mom if you're getting a car with 287/274. And insurance will be significantly higher on the 350Z than the RSX. What happens when you want to bring your friends somewhere?(I don't have this problem as I only seem to have a g/f) Sometimes you gotta play troop carrier.

I say go with the RSX or a Golf VR6. Whichever way you go, good luck with your purchase--
Old 07-07-2002, 03:32 AM
abz123

I think dealers get to pre-order for their stock in september...I think you can prolly work a deal to be included in that order.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:35 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack, It'll probably be awhile before you can get MSRP. I think some time into mid to late 2003 you'll probably have some dealer mark-up to deal with. It also depends on where you live. You may be able to find a fair dearer to give you MSRP on a base since that one seems to be the least popular (at least if you are looking at the preorders). The other option, if you want it faster, is to buy the rights to someone's preorder. They are out there if you look. Even on e-bay. BUT, you'll probably have to pay for that too.
Old 07-07-2002, 04:11 AM
blackSunshine
Charter Member #84

I would start talking to every dealer in the area when they are getting their pre-orders in (aug/sep). They don't even know when they're getting their first batch right now, let alone what they're getting afterwards. And make sure you don't jump in line at the first dealer who says they can get you one by the end of the year. See what they all say first, and hopefully you'll be able to tell which ones are the worst (or best depending on point of view) liars based on the various lines of BS you get. MSRP should be obtainable to those who look hard. Good luck whatever you do. And don't rule out dealerships who aren't in the area, there are some dealers lurking around this board and zcar.com, they've spoken about long-distance delivery.
Old 07-08-2002, 06:55 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

1. I've got to disagree with the people here who say you will have to pay over MSRP anytime into the near future. I guarantee, that someone where within 1000 miles of where you live there will be a dealer that will sell at MSRP. I also guarantee you, that there will be pre-orderers who do not take delivery of their cars. Put those two items together and you will be able to find one car you like at MSRP (and after all you are only buying one car). I did that exact thing in 1983 when the 944 was selling $5k over list -- on a car that was less than $20K. I found a dealer in Phoenix who was selling at MSRP but had a six month waiting list, and even though I lived in Texas I gave him $500 deposit. One order fell thru and he asked me if I wanted the car -- it was white so I said no. Then a second order fell thru -- it was chocolate brown which was a color I liked so I took it. I got my car within 6 weeks of giving the dealer a deposit. I don't believe there will be a lot of cars available at MSRP -- but there is always going to be one -- and you are only buying one car.

2. I STRONGLY recommend you get the enthusiast if you can at all swing it. Not only is LSD very important in a car with this much power, but the TCS is important in general -- and VERY IMPORTANT for less experienced drivers. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:35 PM
jackjohnson24

Thank you to all who replied to my post. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:04 AM
m477

Originally posted by Daytona

I say go with the RSX or a Golf VR6. Whichever way you go, good luck with your purchase--
I would say if you get a Golf GTi, DEFINITELY go for the 1.8 turbo engine over the VR6. I have driven both cars, the VR6 is so heavy that it ruins the handling of the car.

Plus the 1.8t costs a lot less and since it's turbo, you can easily mod it to make a lot more power than the VR6.

Just my 2 cents.