Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z and dogs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 08:08 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350Z and dogs?

Anyone with a 350Z with leather seats and dogs?

Do you ever transport the dog in the 350Z? I'm thinking about getting a dog. I don't mind the dog being in my winter beater, but in the summer, I only drive the 350Z.

Anyone with experience in this? Need to know before I decide on a Yellow Lab.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

if you don't mind about the hair and the claw might mess up your seat then i don't see why not.

I would love to have my dog in my ZR but he get too excited and jump off the damn car.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
ZlleH

I was hoping for people to say it's okay to put the dog in the trunk since our coupes are really hatchbacks.

If I were to put the dog in the passenger seats for transportation, I would definately lay down some padding on the seat and back of the leather.

I just want to know if anyone has any other experiences.

I guess what I'm most afraid of is the dog putting it's paws on the door.

Originally Posted by Bubble
if you don't mind about the hair and the claw might mess up your seat then i don't see why not.

I would love to have my dog in my ZR but he get too excited and jump off the damn car.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Luis_23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be ok for like small dogs/lap dogs that don't get too excited and just sit there...............
Old 05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
ZRaven

I have a 60 pound German Shepard I take with my on rides once in a while. I usually place a towel or some kind of covering on my seats. She sheds very little so it's not like my car is full of fur. But, you will have to deal with dog slobber on your door panels, windows and dash. Easy to clean off. If you love your dog enough, cleaning up is just an extra step.

I love that she enjoys riding around with me and it almost seems she thinks she's a bada$$ riding around in the Z
Old 05-02-2006, 03:56 AM
lungta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a jack russell also that loves riding in the car. I would take him everywhere i go but it would a pain to clean up all the hair. So he only rides with me ocasionally, and he always stay in the back and looks through the small back windows.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 AM
cessna

Young,

Cessna rode in my G when I had him without anyproblems... He was good, always sat down on the same spot, everytime. (Your going to have to train a puppy to do that). My advice to you is to get seatcovers, and use all your old blankets tto ensure that your Z dosent get all scartched up.

Oh, and since I`ve seen your car, and know how clean it always is (We both suffere from OCD.lol) your going to have a heart attck when you see lab fur all over the inside of your car (and house!)

Let me know if you need a hand as I`ve got some connections with lab breeders.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 05-02-2006, 05:19 AM
deviantZ

I've got a 85lb Coonhound, she's been in the car a few times for trips out of town. I wrap the seats with a couple sleeping bags, one for the upright, one for the seat. So far, no damage at all, though I keep her nails trimmed fairly regularly. It doesn't matter how bad they shed, if you open the window for them, you will have hair everywhere. Otherwise, you just get nose and tongue marks all over your windows.

I've been thinking of investing in some seat covers for the occasions when I have to transport her until I can get a new beater.

Overall, yes, you can put the dog in the car, but I wouldn't/don't make it a regular occurance, and go crazy cleaning it immediately after. The Swiffer for Autos thing helps tremendously.

Last edited by deviantZ; 05-02-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

a young dog would be a handful in any car and a 20-30 mph impact could easily kill a loose dog.

I recommend looking into getting some kind of pet restraint system that attaches to the seatbelt. I haven't done the research yet myself, so I can't make a recommendation, but there are many out there:

Let us know if you make any discoveries...I'd love to take my boy for a ride in the Z!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:04 AM
deviantZ

I've got one of those, it seems to work fairly well. Granted, I haven't tried to send my dog through the windshield yet, but it helps prevent her from sliding around and freaking out if I have to make an abrupt stop. She hates it though, because it severely liimits her ability to move around and get comfortable.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:36 AM
cessna

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
a young dog would be a handful in any car and a 20-30 mph impact could easily kill a loose dog.

I recommend looking into getting some kind of pet restraint system that attaches to the seatbelt. I haven't done the research yet myself, so I can't make a recommendation, but there are many out there:

Let us know if you make any discoveries...I'd love to take my boy for a ride in the Z!

^^^^^^^^^

VERY GOOD POINT!

PM or e-mail me Young as I still have the one I used in the airplane for Cessna. Your more then welcome to have it if you'd like...... oh and I've got a ton of doggy stuff to give away too... (Cage, doggy bed, food bowls, etc)
Old 05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
skate111

you should be able to put it in the hatch, just make sure you don't leave him in there when you go inside somewhere.... but also, +1 on the doggy seatbelt, hehehe... i have a mini-dashaund, and i always make sure he has his HARNESS on (NOT the collar...that would hang him / break his neck if i got in an accident :S ) but yea, he wears a harness and the other part is basically a short leash that you loop through the car's seatbelt to hold him from flying out of the car if something happend.... w/ a larger dog though, esp in the Z it might be hard.... obviously there isn't a seatbelt in the back, and if you put him in the front, no one else can ride w/ you (unless you put THEM in the back, hehehe ) plus the dog might tear up your seats.... if you decide to go that route though, get something to cover the seats (not just a sheet or something...you need something thick/heavy duty so that the nails don't scratch it up), other than that, all you'll have to worry about pretty much is the wet-nose marks on the windows, dash, door panel, etc, lol, and the fur.... and until he's potty trained......
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 AM
ZlleH

Well, let me give you some background. I walked by an advertisement for someone to take over a 6 year old Yellow lab. The owner has a one year old baby boy and they need to give the dog away for saftey issues.

Welp, I am going to see the dog tonight for the first time, and then take over the dog on Friday for a week. If it works out, I will be keeping it, if the dog does not adjust well to a new environment, the owner will gladly take it back.

So far, from everyone's suggestion, I will be using my old sleeping bag to cover the entire leather seat, I will also be putting old pillows underneath the sleeping back on the seat. That solves that issue. Now I need to worry about harnessing the dog and about paws on the door and slobber on the door and window >_<;;

I was thinkof putting the sleeping bacg in the hatch and letting the dog lay down on it, I sort of have a net that can stabalize some movements.

Looks like the biggest issue I have to worry about is dog hair >_<;;

Cessna, I might just take you up on the offers.

Last edited by ZlleH; 05-02-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 AM
deviantZ

The slobber is unavoidable.:/

I really doubt you'll be able to get him into the back, most labs aren't really al that big, but still there isn't much room at all back there. Just make sure to cover the lower portion of the seat good and all should be fine.

Oh and as far as hair goes. I think I'll start dressing my dog in old t-shirts before entry to the vehicle. They love that.lol