Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Has anybody's mileage/dte reading been accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the DTE and AMG are pretty accurate on mine....the digital odometer is a little off...but otherwise, everything else is good

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 05-05-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:41 AM
OutsiderZ5

I travel 47 miles on the highway one way to work myself. Lots of traffic and I'm in no rush to get to work. I filled up 2 days ago and the DTE read 457. I average 25.6 miles/gallon and I drive 70-78mph. With gas prices high and the mileage I do daily (not anymore, start new job in a week) I'd rather save the money for something else for my car. Spirited driving on other occassions change this number.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:29 AM
mikead_99

My commute is short, so I get no time to make up for the gas spent on startup, plus I go through some secondary streets so I get to drive pretty "spirited" most of the time. I end up showing roughly 16.5 mpg on the digi, but always work it out to more like 17.5 mpg at the pump when I calculate it.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:37 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by MeetJoeAsian
man...shifting from 1 to 4...doesn't that really slam your RPM? isn't that bad for your car? at least shift to 2, then to 4....if you're saying you "baby" your Z and shift 1 to 4, does that mean you shift from 1 to 4 RIGHT at 2000/3000 RPM? man, that is BAD for your car to drive in high gear at such a slow speed/RPM, you're hurting your car more by gunning it in such a low RPM (because if you're accelerating from 3-4 mph in 4th gear, you will have to floor it in 4th, otherwise it'll choke)...unless you're maxing out your 1st gear, and then shift to 4, in that case, you're not really babying your Z at all then...

In a Porsche, if you do not gun it often, you will clog up your pipes and your car will start coughing after awhile...Porsches are meant to be driven hard to clean out their internals, does anyone know if the Z is like that? probably not egh?
You bring up a good point but consider the C6 Corvette. To skip the gas guzzler tax, Chevy made the C6's transmission so that the driver can only shift from 1st to 4th; the only way the driver can shift sequentially is to rev the engine and get the RPMs up to a certain threshold.

I'm certain that I'm not doing any harm to my Z but once I hear differently, I'll change my driving habits. But I guess the bottom line is to each his own, for those who want to rev it up, more power to you, but I'll drive my car the way I want, stinkies!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Curt La Fontain

I'd like to think the MPG is right on. My '03 Enthusiast, with 5AT, routinely registers 30+ MPG @ 70MPH on the interstate--with cruise on.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
karmstro

Originally Posted by once_traveling
Ok, you are a wuss. Im am sad for your Z as it lives the life of a toyota yarris. I say pound the z, shift at 6200, get 220-270 miles a tank, and enjoy having a car that can do what a z can do. I hope your adult diapers dont break the next time you are going 40 mph in 6th gear.
have fun with your car no doubt. But sucking down gas without a care is why gas is 3 bucks a gallon. just my 2 cents, if 3 bucks doesn't matter to you, keep on sucking and see if 4 bucks starts to make you think

if the man wants to be efficient, let him

Last edited by karmstro; 05-05-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:06 PM
jt14894

Originally Posted by karmstro
have fun with your car no doubt. But sucking down gas without a care is why gas is 3 bucks a gallon. just my 2 cents, if 3 bucks doesn't matter to you, keep on sucking and see if 4 bucks starts to make you think

if the man wants to be efficient, let him
Just to add to that.
If you can afford $3+ a gallon, then do want you want.
If I want to hot rod my Z, I would, but I would rather drive a little more conservatively and pay, for example, $60 to fill up once a month rather than $60 three times, or $180, a month. Wouldn't everyone agree?
I know I can afford $3+ a gallon, but I'm not spoiled rich. I could easily go out and buy a BMW and a Hummer and still keep my Z, but I choose not to. With the money I save filling up once a month ($180 - $60 = $120), I could use that to buy other things (i.e. electronics, mods, a nice dinner with a HOT chic, etc.) or pay a bill. And saving $120 a month, or $1440 a year, can go a long way.

Last edited by jt14894; 05-05-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by marco_mendoza
I always reset the MPG after every fill up. When you reset it, as Davidv said, the MPG readout tells you what your current mpg at the mph you are driving, but then it starts averaging it out. Toward the end of my tank, the MPG readout has been pretty accurate as to how much gas I have left. The DTE, I ignore because it does this, --- , when I still have 50 miles left.
Same here .... Mine seems to be accurate to about .3mpg. I reset each time. I reset miles, take record of gals used and calculate the mileage.

If you drive the car really easy keep fresh syn oil in it, a clean air filter and the tires aired up ..... you can get some great mileage. However, do a couple of full thottle blasts and your mileage will drop faster than a rock.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Miko

Skipping gears is really bad right? There was a thread on the s2000 forums that someone here posted regarding skipping gears; and this guy skipped the same gear(s) constantly and when they took apart the trans, the gears (or syncros) looked worn out. After seeing/reading that I stopped skipping gears.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
soldierboy

have you guys ever try this.... for manual only.... coast it down hill, put your z on neutral. reset the mpg switch....let it ride for about 20sec as you pick up speed when u go down hill...and your average mpg is incredibly high...I tried it 3 times and get about 90 mpg......only u go down hill.....put on neutral.. and allow the car to pickup speed...do this when the road is not too busy with traffic...offcourse.... I did this when i went to Phoenix from So Cal, took the I10 east, Location in the Blyth vicinity.....ihhihih if you wondering ... i was on the roadtrip from Seattle , WA to socal to Phoenix....I put 5k miles on my car last month........
Old 05-06-2006, 01:09 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by soldierboy
have you guys ever try this.... for manual only.... coast it down hill, put your z on neutral. reset the mpg switch....let it ride for about 20sec as you pick up speed when u go down hill...and your average mpg is incredibly high...I tried it 3 times and get about 90 mpg......only u go down hill.....put on neutral.. and allow the car to pickup speed...do this when the road is not too busy with traffic...offcourse.... I did this when i went to Phoenix from So Cal, took the I10 east, Location in the Blyth vicinity.....ihhihih if you wondering ... i was on the roadtrip from Seattle , WA to socal to Phoenix....I put 5k miles on my car last month........
we don't have a 20 second hill here in Houston....our best one is a 5 second hill...
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Acidskie

On topic: The cpu and the manual math = pretty much right on. So I agree that the mpg reading by the cpu is both accurate and a average.

Off topic: Everything in moderation . I drive mine around trying to eek out every little bit extra in the mpg daily driver realm. I do this so that when I take it up on the US 421 playground (Google it guys - Best drive around) I can drive the **** out of her. Natallie likes it when I do that. Missy does not. Natallie is my Red 06 Track. Missy is not.

I also run my R6 around on 421 as well. Some fantastic driving / riding.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:33 AM
shanecrosby

Originally Posted by davidv
The mpg gage tells you what you are getting now at the current mph. If it reads 20 mpg, it does not mean that you were getting 20 mpg yesterday or the day before.

When you do the fill-up and arithmetic, of course you are calculating average mpg for the entire tank: different numbers - different purposes.
correction, with respect..

The mpg guage tells you your average mpg and mph since the last time you reset the guage. Not your current mpg/mph
Old 05-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Morningglorie

Default Mileage

I've only had my Roadster for four weeks now and the first two weeks were the break-in period. I've been keeping careful track of the MPG, resetting it after every fill, and writing down the avg. MPG and avg. speed.

I've been getting better and better MPG with every fill. First one was around 17. Second one was 19. Most recently they have been around 21 or 22. The recent ones had a lot more steady highway driving on it. So far, I think it's accurate.

It's never gone blank on me for DTE, usually shows around 50 miles when I refill, and usually I put in around 16 gallons. So the DTE is very conservative, but that's ok with me, I'd rather fill up too soon rather than risk running out.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

drive your car like a puss, and your Z will turn into a puss. your ecu will go into puss mode. you bought a Z but now your driving an RX8. i had to take a jab at the rx8, one of my friends drives one.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:24 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by Morningglorie
I've only had my Roadster for four weeks now and the first two weeks were the break-in period. I've been keeping careful track of the MPG, resetting it after every fill, and writing down the avg. MPG and avg. speed.

I've been getting better and better MPG with every fill. First one was around 17. Second one was 19. Most recently they have been around 21 or 22. The recent ones had a lot more steady highway driving on it. So far, I think it's accurate.

It's never gone blank on me for DTE, usually shows around 50 miles when I refill, and usually I put in around 16 gallons. So the DTE is very conservative, but that's ok with me, I'd rather fill up too soon rather than risk running out.
are you basing this solely on your DTE guage? have you tried actually calculating it by resetting your ODO everytime you fill up and divide that number by the number of gallons you fill up @ the next fill up? I don't think they'll be the same...I think the DTE is only accurate after a few thousand miles of constant behavioral driving...meaning, set it once, and wait until about 4-5 fill-ups, and that number should be accurate, you can't use the DTE guage to calculate on a "per-tank" basis either...it's not accurate...

Last edited by MeetJoeAsian; 05-18-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by Nexx
drive your car like a puss, and your Z will turn into a puss. your ecu will go into puss mode. you bought a Z but now your driving an RX8. i had to take a jab at the rx8, one of my friends drives one.
that is true though....that's why your break-in period is crucial to engine behavior
Old 05-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Morningglorie

What is the best way to drive when you're breaking it in? Mine is a 5AT. I've been careful to vary the speeds (more so during the first 1200 miles), don't do jack-rabbit starts, get it up to highway speeds and then vary it 5 or 10 mph up and down every 15- 20 minutes or so, brake carefully rather than screeching to a stop, and so on.

Right now I've just crossed the 1700 mile mark.

JoeAsian, I use the avg. mpg and avg. speed numbers from the gauge, but I've written everything down so could go back and calculate manually. Will post if there's much of a difference.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
yeperra

When the DTE is at 0 with freeway driving I still have 2 gal left. This seems to be repeatable.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
kpiskin

Mine usually reports about .5-1.2 MPG higher than what I actually average per each tank. I think that the more you do stop and go (turn the car off and on) the less accurate it reports the MPG. It seems to be more accurate after a long trip than it does when I'm driving back and forth to work and home, but still over estimates.