Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z N/A with +1,000WHP and on stock internals!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:27 PM
spacemn_spiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by undercat
I think that is what they say on that Auto Brake Lock infomercial to convince people to buy it. Their argument is that the steering wheel is designed to colapse while the brake pedal is not.
Why cant the brake pedal be designed to collapse like a steering column? I think it has been done before.

Some brake pedals are designed to yield but I think that it's the whole brake system attached to the brake pedal (safty system sorta like when an engine drops down). It's kinda hard to design high strength steel like that found in a brake pedal to yield before human bone breaks. I did a quick search and saw that new Impreza's have this kind design.
That claim based on the material Steel not being able to yield under certain loading conditions without damaging human leg is incorrect, technically it certainly is possible.

You shouldn't rag on someone just because he didn't use the "proper terms" that you are used to. that's something an undergrad in engineering would do just to show they actually learned something in class.
Looks like I touched a nerve there. If someone is making engineering claims without any engineering background, terminology is very important because without that everything is gibberish and out of context.

I am not trying to show off my degrees here, I am just trying to correct what I felt was incorrect, and going by the histories of some posters making claims that have no technical merit, I feel the need to correct it.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:19 PM
undercat

Originally Posted by spacemn_spiff
Why cant the brake pedal be designed to collapse like a steering column? I think it has been done before.
do you even pay attention to the words you read or do you just like to listen to yourself? and do you even understand how both of those collapse?

we were talking about the pedal and ARM not collapsing. if you noticed i said that it is the braking system that yields not the arm.

"The collapsible pedal system works by decoupling the solid linkage between the brake booster and the pedal box, via an ingenious system of actuators that disconnect the brake booster push rod when a deformation threshold is breached by the firewall.

The solid link between the firewall and the brake pedal - and thus the driver's leg - is then removed, helping to lessen the potential for lower leg injuries common in this type of crash." http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_55...wsarticle.html

that's how a collapsible pedal works. the ARM does not yield

That claim based on the material Steel not being able to yield under certain loading conditions without damaging human leg is incorrect, technically it certainly is possible.
Do you have degrees in industrial/imaginary engineering? Because I wouldn't trust you to design a toaster talking like that. What magical loading conditions are going to snap the brake pedal in half before you break your legs? Why don't you draw up some free body diagrams on this then come back and teach us all.

Looks like I touched a nerve there. If someone is making engineering claims without any engineering background, terminology is very important because without that everything is gibberish and out of context.

I am not trying to show off my degrees here, I am just trying to correct what I felt was incorrect, and going by the histories of some posters making claims that have no technical merit, I feel the need to correct it.
I understood what Kolia was trying to convey without all the terminology. The difference is that he has common sense while you use big words without an understanding of simple concepts to try to make people believe you know half of what you type. And before you try to spout of whatever degrees you have, I have BS and MS in mechanical engineering with an emphisis on Engineering Mechanics and did my thesis on Material Testing. So please stop trying to bs me with your obviously not-so-thought-out comments. Thanks and come again.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 PM
spacemn_spiff

I understood what Kolia was trying to convey without all the terminology. The difference is that he has common sense while you use big words without an understanding of simple concepts to try to make people believe you know half of what you type. And before you try to spout of whatever degrees you have, I have BS and MS in mechanical engineering with an emphisis on Engineering Mechanics and did my thesis on Material Testing. So please stop trying to bs me with your obviously not-so-thought-out comments. Thanks and come again.
I will not resort to showing off my degrees and I am not here to prove my background's worth on this forum, my employer and my industry rewards me for what I do and I consider that the proof of my education's worth.

do you even pay attention to the words you read or do you just like to listen to yourself? and do you even understand how both of those collapse?

we were talking about the pedal and ARM not collapsing. if you noticed i said that it is the braking system that yields not the arm.
It's kinda hard to design high strength steel like that found in a brake pedal to yield before human bone breaks.
I was commenting on your comment about how difficult it would be to yield steel, in case you didnt notice. Again I think it can be done.

"The collapsible pedal system works by decoupling the solid linkage between the brake booster and the pedal box, via an ingenious system of actuators that disconnect the brake booster push rod when a deformation threshold is breached by the firewall.

The solid link between the firewall and the brake pedal - and thus the driver's leg - is then removed, helping to lessen the potential for lower leg injuries common in this type of crash." http://autoweb.drive.com.au/cms/A_55...wsarticle.html

that's how a collapsible pedal works. the ARM does not yield
And I think that is one way to do it, there could be more ways of doing it.

Do you have degrees in industrial/imaginary engineering? Because I wouldn't trust you to design a toaster talking like that. What magical loading conditions are going to snap the brake pedal in half before you break your legs? Why don't you draw up some free body diagrams on this then come back and teach us all.
This comment says alot. It takes more than just the FBD, it usually assumed in a FBD that the bodies are rigid, which they are not. I would take into account the load path and load sharing and how to manipulate that using mechanical advantage to achieve in this case, preventing the brake pedal from human injury.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Undercat, don’t bother too much about spacemn_spiff’s comments. He’s been masturbating to his degree for as long as I’ve been member of this forum. He only tries to discredit anybody posting anything remotely technical, never actually bringing anything of value to the table, and never committing himself.

Luckily, others are more inclined towards constructive discussions where everybody learns something.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:07 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by Kolia
don’t bother too much about Kolia's’s comments. He’s been masturbating to track exprience and stubbornly uses that to technically explain anything that comes up for as long as I’ve been member of this forum.
Works both ways doesnt it.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 AM
3five0_GT

Originally Posted by Kolia
Toyo RA1
255/40R17 front
275/40R17 rear

About the reasons behind turning the ABS OFF, I’ll start a new topic in the MotorSport section. Basically, the car handled terribly with these tires and a stock suspension…
Check this site out.

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm
Old 05-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by 3five0_GT
Hey that's a nice calculator!

Thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Kolia

that's interesting, i definitly have to check that out when you post it up.

I imagine with those sized tires, you have much higher maximum breaking ability than on stock size tires.

also, i didn't know 17s would fit over brembos.
Here's the topic I just started about that.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/190500-running-staggered-r-tires-on-stock-suspension.html