Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about shifting into first

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 AM
04silverzcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about shifting into first

this is in reference to a thread i saw about a guy asking about double clutching. the reply was that if you double clutch then you can slide into first gear easy from 2nd.
well if im goign more than 10-15 mph it is very hard to shift into first, wehtehr i double clutch or not.
is it supposed to behard to shift back into first from speed or not.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:39 AM
synth19

Technically, if you're double clutching, you're moving from neutral to first, not from second. I never downshift to first gear, geneally, it's just not a good idea.

Last edited by synth19; 05-13-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that may be why it is hard to do. sheesh, some people need to drive an automatic
Old 05-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Z BOY

ban.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:04 AM
roast

well if im goign more than 10-15 mph it is very hard to shift into first, wehtehr i double clutch or not.
Our first gear has a synchro just like 2nd-6th. It's hard to get into first while rolling because you aren't double clutching AND rev-matching. You have to get your tranny up to speed before you can select first, or else it will be very hard to get into gear, and you will also hear the synchro whine the harder you try.

Pretend you're in second gear @ 15mph and want to get in first. Push the clutch in - select neutral - release the clutch - rev the motor closely to the rev-match point - push the clutch in again and select first.

It should slide right into gear. You should never have to force the shifter into gear.

Hope that helps. Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:16 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

I don't understand the mechanics of it but, as a general rule, do NOT downshift into first if your over 5 mph or so. And I don't see any benefit in downshifting into 1st.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:29 AM
roast

If you don't understand the mechanics of it then you shouldn't pretend like you know what you're talking about. I do understand the mechanics of it - and I've been driving sports cars for a long time. A lot manual trannys don't even have a first gear synchro.

There is nothing wrong with shifting to first if you do it properly - the way I just explained. I do it all the time.

The reason for doing it is for maximum acceleration after having slowed down. 2nd gear @ 15mph is more than fast enough to stay in 2nd if you're not in a hurry.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:52 AM
plumpzz

i do it all the time, and teh Z does have a 1st gear synchro. i just revmatch or heel and toe depending on if im in a hurry or not.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:07 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
this is in reference to a thread i saw about a guy asking about double clutching. the reply was that if you double clutch then you can slide into first gear easy from 2nd.
Unless you really need crazy acceleration, I don't downshift to first at any significant speed. I can tell if I am going too fast by the _feel_ of the shifter and the resistance to putting the transmission into first gear. Downshifting into first from second is really no different from downshifting into second from third gear if you rev match.

There are very valid reasons to double clutch. I learned to shift a Dodge Powerwagon Truck with a FLATHEAD six some 35 years ago because I _had_ to double clutch.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:08 PM
jetspank

Another thread for BRAVEHEARTS!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not wait until the car has stopped before shifting from second to first gear?
Old 05-13-2006, 08:47 PM
___DJK___

Originally Posted by Z04
that may be why it is hard to do. sheesh, some people need to drive an automatic
haha, great post!

/thread
Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 AM
synth19

*unsubscribing*
Old 05-14-2006, 07:31 AM
roast

Downshifting into first from second is really no different from downshifting into second from third gear if you rev match.
I totally agree with that. You don't have to rev-match before you depress the clutch(during a double clutch) like I originally said.. I always double clutch when shifting into first out of good habit. You still need to rev-match though or else it won't happen. For instance, you can push the clutch in, put light pressure on the shifter toward first, and then give throttle. As the rpm rises, the moment the rpm are matched it will slide into gear. Doing it that way will also give you a good idea where to let the clutch out if you aren't already sure.

There are very valid reasons to double clutch.
Yes there are. And if you refer to your 350z owners manual, you will see another one.

David, DJK, synth - thanks for the worthless posts - in typical fashion. Fuggin newbs.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
04silverzcoupe

man some of you guys are real asshats. not saying i do it alot, or even at all. in fact when i first bought the car back in oct i noticed that it doesnt shift into first at speed. so i dont do it. i figured it was made like that from the factory and it was to help protect it from abuse. similar to how you cant shift into reverse.
like i said i read a post about how it should be easy to shift into first and was wondering if my car is f'ed up. maybe if you people would try reading, or maybe take a reading comprehension class, you wouldnt be so stupid.

btw to those who actually posted information, thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i have always gone by the rule to never use 1st over 5 mph. IMO i dont see a need to.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:40 PM
majik16106

im with you guys.. i dont ever use 1st unless im stopped or almost stopped (5ish mph) why? your not gonna get a significant amount more acceleration by dropping to first at 10-15mph instead of staying in second. you wouldnt even see first on a road course or autox so your only talking about street driving and how much of a hurry are you in that when you come to a stop sign or red light you feel the need to drop to first to take off as it turns green instead of just leaving it in second and getting away? im just curious.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:08 PM
04silverzcoupe

alright seriously for the last time. you people need to learn how to read. im only curious and wanting to make sure that it is supposed to be this way. i dont shift into first from 2nd at 20mph or anything like that, i wouldnt even if i didnt have to force it. when i first bought the car i noticed it right away and figured it was supposed to be like that. but i htought it wasnt possible to shift to first. then when i was trying thta double clutch thing i foudn out you can put it into first but you hvae to force it pretty hard. all i wanted was to make sure that all z's are supposed tobe like this. i guess this is above yalls comprehension though. apparently alot of yall need to go back to ilke 1st grade and relearn how to read.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
JoeyFyed

Originally Posted by roast
Our first gear has a synchro just like 2nd-6th. It's hard to get into first while rolling because you aren't double clutching AND rev-matching. You have to get your tranny up to speed before you can select first, or else it will be very hard to get into gear, and you will also hear the synchro whine the harder you try.

Pretend you're in second gear @ 15mph and want to get in first. Push the clutch in - select neutral - release the clutch - rev the motor closely to the rev-match point - push the clutch in again and select first.

It should slide right into gear. You should never have to force the shifter into gear.

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Hmm, am I missing something. Why not just clutch - rev - select gear - let go clutch ?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
roast

Originally Posted by 04silverzcoupe
alright seriously for the last time. you people need to learn how to read. im only curious and wanting to make sure that it is supposed to be this way. i dont shift into first from 2nd at 20mph or anything like that, i wouldnt even if i didnt have to force it. when i first bought the car i noticed it right away and figured it was supposed to be like that. but i htought it wasnt possible to shift to first. then when i was trying thta double clutch thing i foudn out you can put it into first but you hvae to force it pretty hard. all i wanted was to make sure that all z's are supposed tobe like this. i guess this is above yalls comprehension though. apparently alot of yall need to go back to ilke 1st grade and relearn how to read.
It was for your information since apparently you are too fckin stupid to drive your car to begin. You need to go back to drivers ed and learn to drive you fckin tool. Post your fckin issues wanting help and then flame like the rest of these idiots. fckin unreal.

Quick Reply: question about shifting into first