Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

STILLEN refused me service

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006 | 08:11 PM
Cannysage

Thumbs down STILLEN refused me service

I talked to them on the phone to get some work done and they said they won't install anything that wasn't bought from them Maybe with FI, I would understand, but it was pretty weak.. could this be normal
Old 05-15-2006 | 08:13 PM
disturbed2483

while that is a gay policy not the first i've heard it from, so maybe it is normal for them.
Old 05-15-2006 | 08:19 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Depends on what you bought and where from..Alot of shops will not install customers parts, or charge an extra fee. In Stillens case, I agree with them, why would they install your parts when they are a parts manufacturer themselves?
We have steered clear of installing alot of customers parts in the recent months due to quality control issues.Alot of times we get customers bringing in Ebay specials, and it is always a night mare..
Old 05-15-2006 | 08:19 PM
___DJK___

Why would you have them install something you didnt purchase from them anyway? You are in so cal, you have plenty of options

Take your car to Street Image or Performance Nissan.
Old 05-15-2006 | 08:26 PM
FLZ_Boy

It minimizes liability and as mentioned earlier, quality control. Of course, there are plenty shops around you can get your stuff installed.
Old 05-15-2006 | 08:33 PM
Cannysage

quality control is definitely understandable, but denying brand new authentic parts such as Nismo, HKS, etc is way weak, especially when I went to their 'stillen meet' and already talked about the installation, with the service department, and then pulling out couple of days later is straight out chicken shat. But no harm done. Like you guys said, plenty of places in OC

some really cool places that I've experience in socal were
- mobworks
- sp engineering (way cool peeps)
- m1 autosports
- f1 motorsports
- performance nissan

Last edited by Cannysage; 05-15-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2006 | 09:36 AM
NightRida

I hate gay **** like that! Just have the customer sign a waiver!
Whats the problem?
Peace!
Old 05-16-2006 | 10:52 AM
Z_freak

Originally Posted by NightRida
I hate gay **** like that! Just have the customer sign a waiver!
Whats the problem?
Peace!

+1
Old 05-16-2006 | 11:58 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

I agree with MRC on this one.

What happens when half way thought the install a part does not fit and needs to be "adjusted", is lacking a critical piece or some other issue? Now someone has to "adjust" things or they push the car around the shop so they can work on things they can do while they wait for parts and schedules get screwed up. Then the car gets returned late and/or the bill needs to be adjusted. The next thing they know, someone is out on the forums bashing them for taking to long and charging more than they quoted.

Chris
Old 05-16-2006 | 12:04 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

If you're a reputable shop, what do you have to hide.

if the part doesnt fit, then you have the option of telling the customer that
1. it does not fit, purchase another part that we do sell, or return defective and come back later or
2. we can make it fit with custom fab work that may cost extra

i dont see why Stillen is being like that. i mean, its just labor. they sell alot of things they dont make. hell the stuff they claim to make, isn't really theirs but rebadged items.

i think stillen would be the LAST place i'd go for installs/parts. their customer service is teh lose.
Old 05-16-2006 | 06:00 PM
azaz

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I agree with MRC on this one.

What happens when half way thought the install a part does not fit and needs to be "adjusted", is lacking a critical piece or some other issue? Now someone has to "adjust" things or they push the car around the shop so they can work on things they can do while they wait for parts and schedules get screwed up. Then the car gets returned late and/or the bill needs to be adjusted. The next thing they know, someone is out on the forums bashing them for taking to long and charging more than they quoted.

Chris

+1
Old 05-16-2006 | 06:43 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Well so far Stillen refused to install outside parts, which is well within their rights as a private establishment. And their still getting flamed for it.Imagine if they DID the install and something went bad or did not fir, this guy would flame them 100000x worse.Just seems like a loose loose situation all the time on these forums..
And for the record, I no way support Stillen or am affiliated with them in any way, this is just my point of view.
Old 05-16-2006 | 07:10 PM
TheCajunStyle

Ok, what happens when someone buys a crappy set of test pipes, brings them to a reputable shop for install, then proceeds to drive home over a few speed bumps, then cracks the flange from the pipe?

I guarantee 75% of the people out there are going to call up the install shop saying things like "You didn't install it right, I want my money back, wah wah wah." Or others would say something along the lines of, "It was perfect when I gave it to you, your bad install caused it to break, now you need to pay for a new one."

These sorts of shops trust only certain kinds of products--products that they've dealt with--products that they receive from their supplier--not from some Joe Schmoe who bought replica Nismo crap on E-Gay.

If you don't agree with that, kindly thank the shop for their time and move on...
Old 05-16-2006 | 08:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
Ok, what happens when someone buys a crappy set of test pipes, brings them to a reputable shop for install, then proceeds to drive home over a few speed bumps, then cracks the flange from the pipe?

I guarantee 75% of the people out there are going to call up the install shop saying things like "You didn't install it right, I want my money back, wah wah wah." Or others would say something along the lines of, "It was perfect when I gave it to you, your bad install caused it to break, now you need to pay for a new one."

These sorts of shops trust only certain kinds of products--products that they've dealt with--products that they receive from their supplier--not from some Joe Schmoe who bought replica Nismo crap on E-Gay.

If you don't agree with that, kindly thank the shop for their time and move on...

Thats my point exactly..
Old 05-17-2006 | 07:51 AM
tetsu041

complete and total agreement with Cajun. Besides the shop knows that things can go wrong and im sure theyve delt with pretty much all of it in the past and dont want those headaches again.
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:21 AM
Mutt

From what i get from the comments Cannysage had already spoken to them about the installation at the Sitllen meet right??? They then proceeded to back out a few days before the work was to be done...i think that's pretty jacked up. They should have said from the get go that they did not want to install the parts.
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:25 AM
Mutt

my bad...i misread...they didnt back out a few days before the work was to be done, but a few days after the sitllen meet. I still think it's kinda jacked up.
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:36 AM
oneillz

totally agree with stillen. if u manufacture a huge line of parts why
would u take the risk of installing a part that the quality is questionable
i work in a dealership so i understand they dont want to associate themselves
with someone elses product especially since they have invested billions
in designing and development of quality parts.
Old 05-17-2006 | 08:52 AM
Cannysage

they shouldn't have agreed to do any work in the first place and waste my time.
They actually said they were to do it at the meet, which was on a saturday, but service department closes at 2pm and they didn't have enough time (with couple of other people waiting ahead of me. Whatever... no skin off my back. I'm just posting my experience. I shoul've been more detailed in my first post.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:34 AM
mikeg8r

Originally Posted by Cannysage
they shouldn't have agreed to do any work in the first place and waste my time.
They actually said they were to do it at the meet, which was on a saturday, but service department closes at 2pm and they didn't have enough time (with couple of other people waiting ahead of me. Whatever... no skin off my back. I'm just posting my experience. I shoul've been more detailed in my first post.
Just wondering, did you buy anything from stillen and are they refusing to install those parts with other parts that are not theirs? Or did you just ask them to install some parts that you already had around? They should not have agreed to install 3rd party parts for you if they already have a policy of not doing it. Maybe the person you talked to misunderstood what you were saying when you asked?

Quick Reply: STILLEN refused me service